Just getting broken in...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just getting broken in...

I haven't been out on any of the bikes for the last several weeks and today it's 75 degrees and partly cloudy. It wasn't much of a ride by Bill's standards and no animals were harmed in the roughly 100 miles on the bike. I don't think I even saw any critters. In fact there was very little traffic at all; all the stop lights were green; and anytime I came up on someone they either turned off very shortly or pulled over to let me by. Doesn't get much better than that.

My GS sat a lot for a couple of years while my attention was focused on other bikes but I've been back on it for some big trips lately. I swear that, at 23,000 miles on the clock, that it is still getting stronger. Maybe it is just now getting broken in?

My choice if I ever get another BMW.

Comment

Glad she is getting to stretch her legs a little, my GSHey mainly takes me to work these days but I did manage to get in a 600km day two weekends ago.

Comment

• Loggiebone
        Loggiebone commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought you “retired”?

• 802Mike
        802Mike commented
        Editing a comment
        He's the plow truck driver.. !

After almost twenty years of RT ownership I segued to the GS world in late December of '21 when I picked up a new '22 GSA. The RT was my reentry bike in 2002 when I decided to end my 17 year absence from riding (stopped riding and skiing while I worked full time while pursuing an undergraduate degree at night).

I test rode a GS and the RT but opted for the RT because of its superior wind protection despite the fact that my heart was with the GS model line. A side story is the GSA is a pre-retirement gift to myself and I wanted it early so I could get used to its quirks and add farkles.

Retirement will happen sometime next year pending the timing of the sale of my business. Last month I took my first big trip to see my sister in Texas.

The GSA performed flawlessly. The weatherman's forecast performed less than adequate. Here's a photo of the bike on the return leg that had me riding in <40 temps and rain as my Gerbings jacket liner sat in my closet. Thank God for heated seats and handgrips. The Gerbings stayed home because the weather forecast predicted temps in the 60s and 70s on the ride down and back.

Texline, Texas
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6986-XL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	44149
      Capulin, New Mexico
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6987-X2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	44150
      I got so cold I was having to pull over every 30-40 miles to stand in gas stations or in the case of the second photo, a gift shop, to warm up for 15~ minutes. From now on the Gerbings' jacket liner is coming with me!

Comment

• 802Mike
        802Mike commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't get Gerbings. Not the same today, look at Warm and Safe.
        www.warmnsafe.com

• 802Mike
        802Mike commented
        Editing a comment
        What's the strap for, to keep the case fro ejecting?

• cabnfvr
        cabnfvr commented
        Editing a comment
        We take the heated liners every trip. Last July we wore the liners all day across Kansas. Yep, Kansas in July. It rained most of the day and never got out of the upper 50's.

p.s. Gerbing is sill available at The Warming Store and still carries a Lifetime warranty.

The strap(s). Panniers are Bumot. There has been a problem with the left pannier that I'm working with Bumot's U.S. distributor to resolve. I'll update this after I learn what they intend to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Spanky View Post
        The Gerbings stayed home because the weather forecast predicted temps in the 60s and 70s on the ride down and back.

I got so cold I was having to pull over every 30-40 miles to stand in gas stations or in the case of the second photo, a gift shop, to warm up for 15~ minutes. From now on the Gerbings' jacket liner is coming with me!
        Never trust the weather report

Lee
        Iowa
        2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

802Mike I have the old school Gerbings that's hella stout. I know a rider who used to be there marketing manager and he told me about how their product went downhill when they started sourcing material elsewhere and then got rid of their manufacturing staff and sourced labor to Asia. Crap product, are they still in business??

Comment

• 802Mike
            802Mike commented
            Editing a comment
            Warm n Safe people used to make the controls for Gerbing.
            I got the wireless control. Down side is it takes a battery. Upside,
            you can stick it anywhere. I'm not sure if there's a default if it goes
            dead.
            https://www.warmnsafe.com/

Originally posted by Spanky View Post
          802Mike I have the old school Gerbings that's hella stout. I know a rider who used to be there marketing manager and he told me about how their product went downhill when they started sourcing material elsewhere and then got rid of their manufacturing staff and sourced labor to Asia. Crap product, are they still in business??
          Gerbing changed hands several times and I lost track if the new company is any good.
          The Original owner started making heated gear again under the name Gordon's.
          https://soundrider.com/archive/produ..._Clothing.aspx
          Last edited by Lee; 1 day ago.
          Lee
          Iowa
          2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

• Lee
            Lee commented
            Editing a comment
            Gordon's must be out of business, I can't find a link for the company.

• Pittsdriverwes
            Pittsdriverwes commented
            Editing a comment
            I had a recently purchased Gerbing mid-layer jacket that malfunctioned and was zapping me. I contacted them right after the new owner brought it back to market from the original ownership. They voided my warranty and said I'd have to pay to have it fixed after I paid for shipping both ways. I talked to the new owner of the company asking him if he thought it was proper to trade on the Gerbing name without standing behind the products the way that company always had. He told me it didn't matter what I thought about his ethics as he was "just trying to save the company." By dismissing the Gerbing commitment he wasn't off to a good start and they'd seen the last of my business or referrals. I'm very happy with my Warm N Safe gear now.
        Working...
        X