Bad Accident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Accident

There was a bad accident up the road yesterday, HD and car.

Occurred at a major 55 mph intersection with no visual obstructions and a stop light.

Front end of Harley separated from frame, major impacts on car's front fender and center of windshield.

Rider on pavement and driver on ground next to road.

No active bleeding and two ER nurses on the scene.

Obviously one vehicle blew a red light.

After being at the Dragon recently and just missing multiple accidents, I'm beginning to think about not riding.

I "kicked" the wife off the back earlier this summer due to concerns about her ability to sustain trauma.

Maybe it's time for me to dismount also.

SMIDSY syndrome is caused by forgetfulness, says study @ https://advrider.com/smidsy-syndrome...ss-says-study/

This syndrome probably affects riders as well as drivers.

Sorry to read this. Maybe time will make you change your mind. Yes it can be dangerous on the road. Being careful and anticipate can be helpful. We are riding a motorcycle with no protection. I try to predict every stupid move from a driver. I have a few friends that ride their bike and forget a few basic rules. When you pass a vehicle, don't waste time, specially a truck that has limited vision. Do not ride with a car on your side. When you pass a vehicle and you're in a group, allow the rider behind you enough space to complete his passing. I could go on and on. As for your decision to dismount, the decision is your, but we will a die one day and it could be while walking accross a road, or while skiing for me. Reminds me of Charlie Brown telling Snoopie. "On day we will all die" and Snoopie to reply "Yes but every other day we will all live" Safe riding to all.

Comment

Originally posted by wildbears View Post
      There was a bad accident up the road yesterday, HD and car.

Occurred at a major 55 mph intersection with no visual obstructions and a stop light.

Front end of Harley separated from frame, major impacts on car's front fender and center of windshield.

Rider on pavement and driver on ground next to road.

No active bleeding and two ER nurses on the scene.

Obviously one vehicle blew a red light.

After being at the Dragon recently and just missing multiple accidents, I'm beginning to think about not riding.

I "kicked" the wife off the back earlier this summer due to concerns about her ability to sustain trauma.

Maybe it's time for me to dismount also.

SMIDSY syndrome is caused by forgetfulness, says study @ https://advrider.com/smidsy-syndrome...ss-says-study/

This syndrome probably affects riders as well as drivers.

You’ve probably also seen a few bad accidents during Bike Week ..as your sig. line says your from NewSmyrna Beach..

Comment

• wildbears
        wildbears commented
        Editing a comment
        Have been going to Daytona for decades. There's always carnage but haven't seen it first hand.

My first trip to the Sturgis rally saw the remains of a crash between a lumber truck and two HDs.

One rider was dead at the scene.

The other was being loaded into an ambulance.

The risk is greater at Sturgis due to the windy roads and blind curves.

At Daytona, I try to be off of the roads by early afternoon to avoid those who start imbibing early.

Riding anywhere in Florida is an occupational hazard!

Comment

Naaa..the Fl. Panhandle has some nice empty roads..but beware of those Gator ‘Rednecks’.. 😜

Comment

• wildbears
          wildbears commented
          Editing a comment
          And bears. 😜

Sometimes I feel riders depend too much on loud pipes and luck. You have
        to make sure they see you.

Comment

Fatal near me the other day, car crossed the center line hit the bike head on.
          20 something driver 64 year old rider.

Comment

Didn't mention before but after the crash we continued on our trip along a hilly road with blind hill crests.

As we're approaching one of these an ambulance comes over the crest in the center of the road with lights and sirens now evident.

Apparently the valley not only kept us from seeing the lights, but also muffled the siren's sound.

Didn't know sound waves could be deflected that way.

Or maybe they had the lights on but waited until they were cresting the hill to turn the sirens on.

A car had pulled partially off the road on the other side of the hill crest and the ambulance went wide to get around it.

I've also seen ambulances wait until they are closely approaching a blind intersection to turn the sirens on.

Now if you are in cross traffic and approaching the intersection, this comes as a rude awakening and some extra wear on the brake pads.

Comment

Just read this about the crash:

" by: NBC4 Staff

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 / 05:14 PM EDT / Updated: Oct 6, 2019 / 06:35 PM EDT
              PLEASANT TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WCMH) — A Canal Winchester man died Saturday afternoon when his motorcycle was struck by a car along State Route 37, the Ohio State Highway Patrol said.

Leslie E. Hamilton, 50, of Canal Winchester, was riding a 2005 Harley Davidson motorcycle north on Rt. 37 when he was struck by a 1996 Toyota Camry driven by Dylan T. Marcum, 19, of Baltimore, OSHP said.

Police said Marcum failed to yield when trying to make a left turn, striking the motorcycle.

Hamilton was not wearing a helmet and was flown to Grant Medical Center, where he later died, according to OSHP.

Marcum was taken to Fairfield Medical Center with serious injuries. Police said he was wearing a seatbelt.

Police are continuing to investigate the crash."
              Last edited by wildbears; 10-07-2019, 04:50 AM. Reason: additional information added

Comment

Originally posted by Boissinot View Post
                Sorry to read this. Maybe time will make you change your mind. Yes it can be dangerous on the road. Being careful and anticipate can be helpful. We are riding a motorcycle with no protection. I try to predict every stupid move from a driver. I have a few friends that ride their bike and forget a few basic rules. When you pass a vehicle, don't waste time, specially a truck that has limited vision. Do not ride with a car on your side. When you pass a vehicle and you're in a group, allow the rider behind you enough space to complete his passing. I could go on and on. As for your decision to dismount, the decision is your, but we will a die one day and it could be while walking accross a road, or while skiing for me. Reminds me of Charlie Brown telling Snoopie. "On day we will all die" and Snoopie to reply "Yes but every other day we will all live" Safe riding to all.
                Jacques That's excellent advice, especially the part about clearing a pass and clearing it enough for those behind you to have room to pull in. I've seen that where I was passing someone behind someone else and they pull in close in front of the vehicle and slow down, not leaving you much room. Also in the unlikely event one inadvertently passes someone on a double yellow line, if you put some distance between you and whomever you pass quickly enough it's hard to read that little motorcycle plate number. Just sayin.

Comment

#3.1
                  wildbears commented
                  Yesterday, 12:35 PM
                  Have been going to Daytona for decades. There's always carnage but haven't seen it first hand.

My first trip to the Sturgis rally saw the remains of a crash between a lumber truck and two HDs.

One rider was dead at the scene.

The other was being loaded into an ambulance.

The risk is greater at Sturgis due to the windy roads and blind curves.

At Daytona, I try to be off of the roads by early afternoon to avoid those who start imbibing early”

Having worked for the VCSO, DeLand, Fl. and to include being stationed in Rapid City, SD..yep..seen my share of fatalities during these events...
                  Last edited by Aa3jy; 10-07-2019, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• wildbears
                    wildbears commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm a '70 Stetson Grad. How did you get to DeLand?

Drove Rt. 92..there was also satellite sub stations in DAB City Island & NSB by the airport..didn’t we have this discussion before on the I-BMW.Com site?

Comment

• wildbears
                    wildbears commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now that you mention it, yes.

Your memory is better than mine.

Originally posted by 802Mike View Post
                  Sometimes I feel riders depend too much on loud pipes and luck. You have
                  to make sure they see you.
                  I think I have that covered in my signature.... "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do."
                  Last edited by MattB; 10-08-2019, 01:19 PM.
                  Matt
                  Street: 2011 Ducati Multistrada S :: 2000 Honda VFR @ 39k :: 2002 BMW K1200RS @ 13k ... round 3
                  Track: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750 :: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
                  Dirt: Honda CRF450X
                  IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.

Comment

Working...
                  X