A Less Painful Ride

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Less Painful Ride

Hadn't been out on the k13s for more than very short rides lately, so decide to do a half day ride to near Crater Late yesterday. The k is such a fine bike...fits like a glove and is so comfortable. But boy, I don't know recall my carpel tunnel being this bad last year. After about two hours it became difficult to ride with numb and painful hands. I just turned 67 so not that old for crying out loud. I've got a whole shelf full of different gloves and handgrips I've tried. Maybe it's time for a more gentlemanly bike. I've been thinking strongly about the r1250rs. Test ride one a couple years ago and really liked it, except I thought the instrument panel was a bit hard to read. I guess one could get used to that. What do you think about that bike?

I've never ridden one but loved the '94 RS I had back in the late 90s.

Comment

Maybe a GS? I have to admit, I'm liking the GS more than I thought I would & the riding position is way different than the KS. The GS & RS don't have the same get up & go as the KS, which would be tough if it was my only bike. When I get on the KS, there's nothing else like it, IMO.
      "Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

Comment

• Bobby
        Bobby commented
        Editing a comment
        The GS is a possibility. I need to ride one this year.

• justjoe
        justjoe commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed with everything you say here Curt. I am surprised at how fast the GS/A is in the twisties, but there is no comparison to the K bike!

• Bobby
        Bobby commented
        Editing a comment
        The GS can indeed be fast in the Twisties with a skilled rider. I tried to catch a guy last year without success.

Bobby,
      have you tried some bar risers? I put Heli Bars on mine, they are just enough to make a huge difference but yet subtle enough you don't even notice them on the bike.
      I even called the company direct and asked for them to be black, the website only shows silver, no extra charge. Just a thought you may want t consider before jumping ship from the K
      there are other risers out there but personally I think there ridiculous looking on the bike, Heli Bars look factory and unless you really know what your looking at you would never know, especially getting them in black to match the factory stock ones.

Comment

• Bobby
        Bobby commented
        Editing a comment
        Helibars may be the answer. Besides raising to hand grips up, can you change the angle so they're more swept back.

• cabnfvr
        cabnfvr commented
        Editing a comment
        Helibars are definitely a plus as we age. I couldn't ride the S now without them. If you want to get a few more years out of the S give them a try.

If you go to there website Helibars.com they give you the altered dimensions, they are 1 1/4” taller, 1/2” rearward or (swept Back) and 1 1/2” wider
      theses may not sound substantial but boy they do make a difference and I really like the fact that visually cant really tell from factory.
      These new alterations are a fixed position, just like the stock ones you cannot adjust.
      Last edited by RS530; 05-28-2020, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Bobby
        Bobby commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds like they'd be just right.

Hey Bobby...give a shout out to Lee. He and Debbie have been riding RRS for some time and do a lot of long distance stuff on them. They'd give you good info. I had a KS and have ridden the RRS and didn't fine a world of difference in the ergos. Feet back a little more I'd say on the KS. RRS...you just sit a little taller. If you don't go with the suggestions that have been made, I think a GS is the only reasonable ride for you...at least with BMW's. You might give a peek at Triumph and Guzzi too. Lot's to choose from if you choose to go the replacement route.

Comment

• wildbears
        wildbears commented
        Editing a comment
        My impression, been riding a K12RS since '97, is that the R1250RS is the boxer replacement for the K12RS.

But lighter and with better wind management.

And many more bells and whistles.

• Bobby
        Bobby commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it fills that niche in many ways. I've always been partial to the the performance and sound of the on-line four engine, so a boxer would be an attitude adjustment.

• jargon
        jargon commented
        Editing a comment
        Bobby, the WC boxer isn’t a bullet out of a gun barrel fast like the KS, but it’s quite capable if you spin the motor up a bit while riding. That was the only adjustment I had to make, and I grew to love my GSAW almost immediately. I’d do the heli bars as well, but would strongly consider having both bikes, making the transition more slowly, rather than abruptly. You’ll want a sip of that KS ride more often, I was happy having done the same myself.

Good luck whatever you do.

If you do end up choosing to ditch the K, I would highly recommend the FJR, if you want straight up riding , plenty of power, cruise, shaft drive and the fact that jap bikes run forever with little to no maintenance. In fact I would own one, but when I was ready to pull the trigger on one, BMW had a $3000 rebate on my K, I just couldn’t pass it up. I bought it in winter of 2017 and paid $15,500 out the door!! I love this bike, but do agree the only shortfall of this bike is no cruise, other than that I absolutely love it.
      I travel long distances with this bike and love it, practically rode from one end to other last year, rode to glacier national park, month later went to South Carolina, all while I live in shit hole Illinois, the arm pit of the Midwest!
      I really hope you try the Heli Bars before you go the other route, they are only $200 bucks, far cheaper if this solves your problem compared to buying a new bike.
      good luck, keep us posted!

Comment

Reminds me of our bikes, they kick ass!!
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmitACgs5sc

Comment

• Bobby
          Bobby commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice video. I was there in 2012 and 2016. Had a blast. In 2016 the weather was perfect for both practice and race week. We had great view points each day and met tons of great people. We were in the grandstand when McGinnis won the Senior race. By chance we were able to talk to him after that race. Fantastic event. Everyone should go a least once, even if they don't ride. It is the ultimate motor sport spectacle. The bravery and skill of the riders are mind blowing.

• Pete_Tallahassee
          Pete_Tallahassee commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! Lots of butt puckering moments. I gotta go there.

Make sure your gloves are not too tight around the wrists.

Can result in similar problems.

Originally posted by Bobby View Post
        Hadn't been out on the k13s for more than very short rides lately, so decide to do a half day ride to near Crater Late yesterday. The k is such a fine bike...fits like a glove and is so comfortable. But boy, I don't know recall my carpel tunnel being this bad last year. After about two hours it became difficult to ride with numb and painful hands. I just turned 67 so not that old for crying out loud. I've got a whole shelf full of different gloves and handgrips I've tried. Maybe it's time for a more gentlemanly bike. I've been thinking strongly about the r1250rs. Test ride one a couple years ago and really liked it, except I thought the instrument panel was a bit hard to read. I guess one could get used to that. What do you think about that bike?
        Last edited by wildbears; 05-30-2020, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• Bobby
          Bobby commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. Small investment to see if they help.

• wildbears
          wildbears commented
          Editing a comment
          On a long ride, what feels loose at the beginning can be tight after awhile.

The wrist area straps/velcro closures have to be tight enough so the gloves don't come off in a slide, but that's all.

I'll also recommend the Heli Bars before giving up on the K13S, Bobby... they make a world of difference!!

Comment

Ordered a pair of Helibars. Thanks for recommending them....I think it will make a big difference.

Comment

Bobby,
            Did you order the black or silver ones?
            you will need a tiny T-8 torx screwdriver to remove the switch on the bars, the rest of the tools are pretty common.
            if I remember correctly I had to order mine off of ebay, not the most common torx size

Comment

• 802Mike
              802Mike commented
              Editing a comment
              Wrap electrical tape around any tool that comes close to anything you don’t want scratched.

• Bobby
              Bobby commented
              Editing a comment
              The silver.

• Bobby
              Bobby commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for letting me know that that screw is a T8. I've got several torx sets but nothing that small. Found a set of very small torx drivers at Harbor freight. Set came with a flexible handle, which made it very easy to loosen the screw.

Hi Bobby
            I also,dealt with carpal tunnel for a long time. Finally had the release surgery done and no more of,the symptoms that you are having. highly recommend the procedure..
            jim

Comment

• Bobby
              Bobby commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I will discuss that with my doc the next time I see him. I think I exacerbate it when I use my driver a lot, like driving screws into decking. That little bit of torque to the wrist when the screw sets is what gets me.

There’s usually a torque break setting on drills. Maybe set it to break a little sooner if it’ll still set the screws???

Comment

• Bobby
              Bobby commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, putting it on the lightest setting helps. It's just a lot years of doing renovations. Finally catching up with me.

• 802Mike
              802Mike commented
              Editing a comment
              It's a pretty minor surgery compared to rotator cuff recovery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8226 xs.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	21351

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8227 xs.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	21352

I'm going the opposite direction for comfort (and aerodynamics).

Switched out the OEM bar risers on my '02 for a pair from my previous '98.

Had been using the higher risers when riding 2 up but wife has retired from riding.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X