Carolina BMW in Greensboro is changing hands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carolina BMW in Greensboro is changing hands

I took my R1150GS to the BMW shop in Greensboro for a 12K service that I had scheduled. One of the sales guys stuck his head out the door and said that they were closed and were not accepting any bikes for service at this time. He said they plan to re-open next Wednesday under new ownership. I asked who the new owners are, and he said it is the owners of BMW of Charlotte.

This might not be a bad thing. The original owner, who opened the shop in 2001, has been increasingly absent from the store in recent years. The store gave the impression of a ship with no captain. I've had some dealings with the Charlotte store in the past, but they have moved locations since then, and I'm not sure the guys I dealt with are still the owners. Whoever it turns out to be, I expect that there will be a new shot of energy in the place. It couldn't hurt. Much. Mike Callahan (mikec) and I have had the conversation about the shop recently: "Do you think this place is going to make it?" This ought to give it a better chance of that.
    I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

Lots of dealerships being bought out by bigger groups. My dealer in Chattanooga has been bought out by a car dealership group in town. The previous owner just sold out and moved up north to accept an employed position.
    Chattanooga, TN
    Certified Hooligan.
    2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

It’s obviously not always the case but the experience I’ve had by shops being purchased by car guys as well as shops being purchased by big multi-brand bike shops hasn’t been great.

For me, the shops that are smaller are more personal and like “the old days “...which I guess can be the financial problem.

Ahhh...the good ole days!😏

Comment

Same here Doug. Liked it when there is a family who owned the place and they were motivated to make it their livelihood. Corporate will always be corporate.
        Chattanooga, TN
        Certified Hooligan.

Comment

I seem to recall that the Charlotte dealership was owned by a former BMW dealer here in VT
          that left the area decades ago because there wasn't a market for two dealers in the state.
          Last time I talked to them was in the early 2000s when I was buying a used '96 K1100RS/SE
          they had serviced. They were very helpful in giving what information they could.

Comment

Yes, you are correct. We used to ride with him and his wife on occasion.
            ain't skeered

Comment

Well, the bloom is off the rose. I took my 1150GS in to the dealership, now called "Motorcycles of Greensboro", for a 60,000 mile service. I had made the appointment with the previous owners, but when I go there to drop off the bike, I was told they were closed during the transition period. So when the place re-opened last Wednesday, I went over there to make an appointment with the new guys. I took it in the next day. The new guy, Bill, checks it in, and tells me that he will call me with an "estimate" of the charges. When he called that afternoon, the estimate was $2,000! I told him that wasn't gonna happen, so he pared off certain jobs (change rear drive oil, change clutch fluid, replace belt to alternator) until he got down to $1,000. And I didn't like that, but I'm planning to take the bike to Maggie Valley this weekend, and to New Hampshire in a couple of weeks. But this will be the last time with them. Say bye bye.
              I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

Comment

The service department is now its own profit center!!!

Suggestion: on ADV, there is a guy “Jim Von Baden”...May be spelled a bit differently, but he has done a great maintenance CD on your bike as well as the water cooled. Do all yourself and forget about the dealer.👍

Comment

$1000k for a service on these R bikes is no bueno.

Comment

Even half that much is a lot..unless replacing broken parts. These bikes are really easy to maintain, unless ya just don't wanna get your hands dirty. LOL!

Comment

Rob, dont know about the alt belt, but changing the rear drive oil and the clutch fluid.... 1000$ seem way over the top.
                      Yes, JVB has the DVD for all things GS/A and very popular. And if you have a question he will be there.
                      Chattanooga, TN
                      Certified Hooligan.

Comment

Thanks guys. I’ve heard of JVB. In fact Mike Callahan just went to a “Tech Day” at JVB’s house in Northern Virginia. Yeah, I am planning to do more of my own service. I bought my first bike after reading “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance “, so now it’s time to step up my game.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                          Thanks guys. I’ve heard of JVB. In fact Mike Callahan just went to a “Tech Day” at JVB’s house in Northern Virginia. Yeah, I am planning to do more of my own service. I bought my first bike after reading “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance “, so now it’s time to step up my game.
                          Now that you are retired, get a lift table and start doing your own maint. Will geek you occupied and out of trouble.
                          Chattanooga, TN
                          Certified Hooligan.

Comment

Working...
                          X