Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palmer 2021, with the mayor

​ What a great track!!! More to come,

Cant see pics or whatever you posted Bill.
    Chattanooga, TN
    Certified Hooligan.
    2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

I have no idea who Bill is referring to in regard to the Mayor? It was a great weekend with the Three Amigos for sure. I have not seen Bill or Joe in several years, Matt I seem to see a few time a year.

What was/is really cool two minutes after these guys arrived it was like we hadn't missed a beat. I forgot how much fun we have hanging out. These three are serious track riders, I was lucky to keep them in sight.

Joe shows up with the big gun - an Aprilia Tuono that looks new - I was impressed. Well right up until Bill rolls out his two bikes, let me say right here right now, he had the nicest two track bikes at this event, and most likely at any track event. If Joe's bike looked new, then Bill's bikes looked like they were not only new but ready for a photo shoot with Cycle World. Then then there was Matt's bikes and my bikes.

Here is the deal our bikes have been in track service for a lot longer than Joe's and Bill's and they sure as heck look like they have been around the track a few times, I hated being pitted next to Bill and Joe, my bikes really stood out and not in a good way.

The boys seemed to like the track, they got to meet a few of my track buddies, and we all went to work on trying to show each other just how awesome of a track rider each of us was. Well I did okay I kept all of them in sight, but they may have been taking it easy on me.

Joe seemed to get the track down pretty quick, Bill was not too far behind, interesting thing about Bill, he has to be the most attentive rider I've ever met. This dude pits in and immediately goes to work on adjusting something on the bike, I mean every time he came off track he was tweaking something on the bikes. To his credit whatever he was doing he was shaving seconds off his lap times, I was getting really nervous he was going to be going so fast, I had to un - adjust what he just adjusted just so I could keep him in sight. Don't tell him I was doing that please.

My buddy Matt goes out and just lets it all hang out and breaks the track record, just ask him, he will tell you and if you don't believe him ask Bill or Joe. And Matt I know you didn't run wide and I really didn't pass you back in turn 4, I confused you with another rider????

And I get a pass on how poorly I rode, heck I have 20 years on Matt and about 10 years on the other two. At my age trying to go fast on a race track is not easy.

Here is a video where I'm approaching Joe and Bill, MotoGP Matt was way ahead:

https://youtu.be/XyHzvax25aA

Comment

Look it, I need to set things straight. BruceV is the Mayor of Tracktown. His campaign was in full swing visiting his constituents, meeting any new people who were new to Tracktown, and generally being friendly and helpful to all the citizens. ALL OF THEM! I know it is hard to believe that Bruce would talk to everyone there but it's true. What is also true is that Bruce is a sandbagger. Look, Bruce lays down fast laps every lap. I could keep up with him when he was on his 35hp R3. It was fantastic getting a tow from Bruce because it really helped me solidify my lines at Palmer and I am hoping I can give back a little at Barber coming up in October.

Here is the only picture I could get of Bruce. The Mayor's security was tight.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8296.HEIC.jpg Views:	1 Size:	101.2 KB ID:	34625

Here are my predictions for Barber. Bruce will know half the paddock before leaving and will have secured their vote to being Mayor at Barber. He truly does make friends that fast. Either that or they say they will vote for him so that he goes away. One way or another, he will be the Mayor.

Bill will finally make all the necessary adjustments to his machines and won't spend his time between sessions fiddling with them anymore. That does not include polishing. He will still polish the fuck out of those machines and there will be at least five people who come into our pit to compliment him on how nice the Murder Hornet is and barely notice the second nicest bike at the track day. Here we go!!

Bill and his spectacular bike. He rails on it too!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4858.HEIC.jpg Views:	1 Size:	237.2 KB ID:	34626

MattB will NOT blow a corner and ride to the grass and let three sub 50hp bikes pass him. This time, Matt finally becomes impassable.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8292.HEIC.jpg Views:	1 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	34624

As for me, I will try to get a little better than the last time. With Bruce coming to Barber I will have to cross my i's and dot my t's to be able to pay Bruce back with a tow and show him my line there.

KevinC was also in attendance. I had never met Kevin in person. It was funny because years ago I bought some children's sized Vanson leathers from him when his daughter out grew them and my kids were just getting old enough to ride. Kevin's daughter is now a college grad and will be traveling the world and my daughter is entering college. That is how long I knew him prior to meeting in person. Just goes to show how special I-BMW was for so long.

Here is what Kevin railed on. SV650 and following him I probably set my fastest laps there.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8313.HEIC.jpg Views:	1 Size:	228.3 KB ID:	34627

Last edited by justjoe; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	34630 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	34631 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	34632 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	34634 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	34633 Okay I admit I may know a lot of riders at these events, I can't help they come up to me and ask me for advice, heck they figure the really old guy must know what's going on. I took a few pics, always wishing I took more.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BruceV; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

“Please sir. Can I Have Some More?”

Comment

There are a couple of things that make a track event special. I think first and foremost are the friends that tag along. We acted like the children that we really are. The laughing, cutting up, acting childish, laying down serious burns on each other is great.

Taking a picture of Bruce as he is taking pictures of us.

Name:	IMG_8318.HEIC.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	34644

It took two minutes of trying to get a selfie when a kid sitting nearby stood up and took the picture for us. From L-R, me, Matt, Bruce, Bill. BTW, the food at this joint was pretty good.

Name:	IMG_8319.HEIC.jpg
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	34646

Matt, Bill, and Bruce have two track bikes. Different setups for different needs, rain/street tires, or whatever. Bill has spotless bikes, Bruce has functional bikes. Matt has bikes that he rapes. For instance, his second bike was used as an anchor to hold down his canopy.

Name:	IMG_8299.HEIC.jpg
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	34647

And when I say that he rapes his bikes, I mean it.

Name:	IMG_8295.HEIC.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	34649

Then there is the track itself and I think Palmer is fantastic. Matt has been to many more tracks than I have and I always ask him which are his favorite. And now I understand how he says that it's not that easy. Because as good as Palmer is, there is one major flaw. Lack of runoff. You are literally racing up and down a hill and if you go off track at the wrong place and with the right speed, you may just end up falling down that hill. Even so, Palmer is a serious contender for my favorite track.

The track is running on the hill in the background of this pic (the rock is the base of the track). If you blow that corner (I think it is 9), you end up in the paddock.

Name:	IMG_8293.HEIC.jpg
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	34650

We have the people, the place, and going along to the next thing is the food. Bill and I ate breakfast at this one joint every day they were open (they were closed Labor Day or else it would have been three days). Angel's 1376 Palmer Restaurant gets my highest ratings! The french toast was superb. Melt in your mouth goodness. Portion sizes I couldn't finish. This is what went with my french toast.

Name:	IMG_8290.HEIC.jpg
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	34651

I'm hoping someone has pictures of dinner as I did not capture any. We ate at this old train station that the owners were kind enough to give us a tour. Our waitress on the second night there was the owners' daughter and she was a joy to conversate with. She was so enthusiastic about the place and history of the station. I think she is going to make a fantastic restauranteur when her parents pass her the place. Bruce did host the gang at his house on Saturday night for burgers. We definitely appreciated the hospitality, even if the waiter was a little pushy...

All in all, a great time.
              Attached Files

Comment

Any pits at the track? Or do you have to bring your own shelter if you want shade? How many riders were there roughly? Generally our track days are run in 3 or 4 groups based on pace. Is that how they do it here? Was Dave Moss there? Is there anyone selling and fitting tyres? What oil do you use?

Comment

• justjoe
                  justjoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  At this track there are a few covered pits and some garage spaces. But the vast majority were under pop up canopies. There was also some power available but we brought generators.

They run four groups based mostly on consistent clean lines and speed. Each group had about thirty riders. Some tracks allow for more. They run seven sessions with 4 before lunch break and three after. On Sunday it was raining so the ran 3 sessions before lunch hoping the weather cleared a bit and it did. That was a nice change.

Dave Moss was not there although he was at an event last year. I didn’t know enough to have him work on my suspension then and haven’t seen him since. There was a suspension guy on-site though. They did have a tire guy who is a Pirelli distributor who was selling and mounting their junk.

I use several kinds of oil depending on where I’m at. You’d have to be more specific.

I use Motul 300V. It is green.
                It looks like anti- freeze. Expensive as all heck. True Ester based oil.

Comment

Glad you boys are having fun. Love it.
                  Chattanooga, TN
                  Certified Hooligan.
                  2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

Thanks Mani, not sure if it's as much fun as it is flying airplanes but it sure must be a close second.

Comment

Working...
                    X