BRPR 2020 May 28-31

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon,
    Virginia is in phase one. Restaurants are open but only to outside dining and take out. Businesses can open but with social distancing. Gatherings are limited to 10 people. Don't think it will affect us too much, the Wattstull spreads us out by design. Bill Morgan is bringing a grill for a cookout one night and we'll set that up out back. If you have anymore questions look at the website for the governor of Virginia. I think we'll be fine. Maybe BillGSA can chime in on what West Virginia is doing.

Comment

• SimonUK
      SimonUK commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, kinda what I was expecting!

• BillGsa
      BillGsa commented
      Editing a comment
      WV Gov will be updating 1st part of the week

Wondering if I could get a close head count for attendance and number in your party ?

if so feel free to pm me by Monday morning?? I’ll bring extra and if some are still on the fence it’s no problem........

Comment

• SimonUK
      SimonUK commented
      Editing a comment
      just 2 of us coming up.

Crickets

Comment

Bill I count 13 that have said they're coming, don't know who else. I've got:
      You, Dale, Steve, me, Wes, Charlie, BillGSA, Simon +1, Furman, Jim, Keith and Don.
      If any of you aren't coming speak up, anyone else who is coming speak up as well. Bill Morgan is planning on providing a meal one night and he needs to know how many to plan for as he's bringing it from home, not shopping locally there.

Comment

• Pittsdriverwes
        Pittsdriverwes commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm still locked in to leaving home Thursday morning to be down at the Watstull by mid/late-afternoon. You bastiges better not be bringing any germs with you in case I pick up the wrong beer bottle by mistake.

• Riverfurm
        Riverfurm commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sorry but I am out. I was so looking forward to this. Planned some different routes to get there. But at this time I still don't feel comfortable with COVID-19. See you next year.

Yup I'll be there with Flyboy & possibly KevinC

Comment

Couple top secret guys pm me, looks like a good turn out......so baby back ribs, burgers, potato salad, chips on the menu for fri night !!!! Yeehaaa

joe , Matt b , and myself headed to Putnam road course this weekend, ......good couple weeks ahead , looking forward to it

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t think I’m “top secret “, but I’ll be there.

Have fun guys, wish I could make it.

Comment

Just for information status of the BRP from NPS website. Milepost 0 is at the northern end at Waynesboro/Afton Mountain.

COVID-19 Road Closures

As states and counties implement emergency precautions to slow the spread of COVID-19, portions of the parkway that run through those areas may be need to closed. Current closures:
          • Milepost 0-13 Road closed
          • Milepost 85.9 Peaks of Otter Visitor Center and Sharp Top Parking Areas closed
          • Milepost 92.5 Sharp Top Parking Widening closed at Appalachian Trail crossing
          Road Maintenance
          Upcoming road maintenance projects will result in temporary road closures along short sections of the parkway.

Please check our Road Closure Map for real-time road closure information.

Asheville Corridor Resurfacing
          Approximately 25 miles of the parkway in the Asheville, NC area will be resurfaced with thin-lift asphalt beginning April 27, 2020. This project is expected to be complete by September of 2020.
          • Night work may take place from 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m., Monday–Friday, with full, two-lane closures from Milepost 382.6 (just south of the US 70/Tunnel Road ramps) to 393.7 (just north of the NC 191/Brevard Road ramp).
          • Day work with single-lane traffic control: From Milepost 365.5 to 382.0 work may take place from 30 minutes past sunrise to 30 minutes prior to sunset.
          • Day work with single-lane traffic control: From Milepost 382.0 (Folk Art Center) to 393.7 (at the NC 191 ramp) work is restricted to the hours between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
          Pavement Preservation in Virginia
          Resurfacing work is expected to continue through November of 2020, with no work scheduled during October. Visitors in active work zones should expect single lane closures and delays.
          • Milepost 0 to 27, Northern Terminus to Whetstone Ridge (27 miles)
          • Milepost 37 to 65, Irish Gap to James River Area (28 miles)
          • Milepost 175 to 200, Mabry Mill to Fancy Gap area (25 miles)
          Edge Rutting
          Asheville Corridor, Mileposts 385 to 397.5 – Work began in November 2019 and will continue into late spring. The work will be conducted with single-lane traffic control and will be limited to Monday-Friday from 8:30 am – 4:00 pm.

Peaks of Otter is just up 43 from the Wattstull and is about milepost 85. So you can go about 20 miles north without hitting construction and about 90 miles south.

Comment

• BillGsa
            BillGsa commented
            Editing a comment
            That makes my route planning for the ride down easier, avoid the BRP

• Capnrip
            Capnrip commented
            Editing a comment
            Thought folks coming from the North might want to know that.

Also this at milepost 128 around Roanoke from heavy rains

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0844.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	21052

Comment

• 955i
            955i commented
            Editing a comment
            Damn! That could ruin your whole day!

Wait Wes......I know a short cut !!!!! ( add knobby)

Comment

• Capnrip
            Capnrip commented
            Editing a comment
            If you fall in it just means you weren't going fast enough.

• Capnrip
            Capnrip commented
            Editing a comment
            You'd probably ride on the guard rail and make it.

Colorado’s gathering, looking good also, Covid during that time should be dormant ?????? Feast or famine I say, at least in business!!!! Enjoy what we got boys and girls

Comment

Originally posted by Bmorganjr View Post
            Colorado’s gathering, looking good also, Covid during that time should be dormant ?????? Feast or famine I say, at least in business!!!! Enjoy what we got boys and girls
            Talked to Mike Knox yesterday and he mentioned he could find the info on the Colorado ride so I sent him the info.

If anyone has been trying to contact the motel they reopened 3 days ago.
            The manager said the Gunnison restaurants are now fully open.
            The motel can not serve breakfast at this time but probably will in July.
            Last edited by Lee; 05-24-2020, 02:12 PM.
            Lee
            Iowa
            2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

Forecast doesn't look the best, chance of rain everyday but I don't think it will be a washout. I'm going anyway although I may throw the bike in the back of the truck if it doesn't improve. I need to get away from here and pretty sure I can get some riding in.

Comment

• BillGsa
                BillGsa commented
                Editing a comment
                The forecast will change 2 or 3 times between now & Thurs...not to worry

• 802Mike
                802Mike commented
                Editing a comment
                "chance of rain", then there's a better chance it won't rain or rain very little, the glass is half full !

As much as I hated to do this, I am bailing out. I don’t have any way to trailer my bike so that would leave me with the prospect of 3 out of 4 days of riding in rain. Not my first choice for a riding vacation. Will miss seeing you guys. Be safe and enjoy.
              Jim

Comment

• Rob
                Rob commented
                Editing a comment
                If the clouds part and you change your mind, come on down. We’ll be there!

I've had something pop up that I'm working hard to resolve. My chances of being there have dropped from near certain to a maybe that I'll make it. @#$%. I'll know by tomorrow night.

Comment

Working...
              X