Brpr 2020

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brpr 2020

So now that the great experience that was BRPR 2019 is fresh in our mind, and while we inch ever closer to the icy hand of death waiting for Curt to finish his ride report, the braintrust at TRP (yeah, I couldn't keep a straight face either) has been discussing dates for 2020. As Loggie will tell you, it always rains at BRPR, and although it's seldom a washout, there is some truth to that. With that in mind I did some meteorological research and found that the overall wettest period for Roanoke airport is the 31 days centered around May 19. When do we usually have BRPR? You guessed it, right around May 19. Score one for Doug. With there not currently being an I-BMW and there not having been an SSR the past two years, that gives us the freedom to explore other dates if we want. I think we want to keep it at least close to the old dates since it's usually our first rally of the year and folks are itchin' to get out for a ride. The 2020 calendar looks like this: The third weekend of May, the normal weekend for BRPR, is the weekend of the 16th and17th. The next weekend, 23rd - 24th, is Memorial Day weekend. If we wanted to move it, we'd likely be looking at the weekends of May 30-31 or June 6-7. Joe was worried June would be too hot but the average high temperature for then is 80F, also gets us a little farther away from May 19. Later also makes it easier for our Canadian friends and some of our Northern US folks. It seems to me that usually the weather in Virginia starts to stable out a bit the first of June, then later in June the humidity really moves in and you get those afternoon thundershower chances. The best chance on any given day for measurable rain (.04 inch) is sometime in July, I forget the actual day. So that's the science of the date planning, let's hear what everyone thinks. As I know how this bunch likes to stray when asked a question, there are 3 options, don't move the date, move it to the last weekend in May, move it to the first weekend in June. Feel free to offer reasoning for your choice. I did talk with Ann at the Wattstull and from what I could gather no groups typically get those other two weekends.

When you’re done with the brain, give it back. There’s only the one going around in the TRP brain trust and I need to use it.

Comment

I put it back in the jar marked "Abby Normal".

Comment

Although I don't make them all, I'd prefer keeping the early date. It's always been the first
        long ride of the year for me and many times I made a ten day trip out of it.

The weather may not always be rain free but it's usually better than it is up here. The first
        few gathering were in April and it was moved to accommodate the riders from the north so
        we didn't have to chance riding in cold or even snow. Also, there is less traffic on the BRP
        in early May.

Comment

I once won a debate with a co-worker over "averages". He was adamant that he wanted to live in a place with an "average" temperature of 75 degrees. I said fine, what if the low is 0 and the high is 150.your average is 75, but you're dead. Must be the engineering background but averages don't mean much to me. I'd keep BRPR mid May and let it rain. If considering moving the venue there's a motorcycle resort opening near Staunton soon. The place already exist but they're opening the grounds and lodging up to cater to motorcyclist, PennMeryll Farm.
          Penmerryl Farm is country elegance with private lakeside ceremony site, barns, gazebos, pool and tavern to make your retreat, event or wedding beautiful and fun

Comment

OK Mr. Engineer, that's true if you enter two data points, but if you have data every day for the past 100 years the averages mean a lot more. You are correct that averages don't guarantee you particular weather one way or the other, just probability. It wasn't a huge difference in rainfall once you got out of the 31 days but it did drop some. And trying to stay on track at least for now, it's about the dates.
            Last edited by Capnrip; 06-11-2019, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• cabnfvr
              cabnfvr commented
              Editing a comment
              Ouch, just trying to interject some humor to the numbers. I'd still rater ride in rain mid-May than navigate the Parkway on Memorial Weekend though. It's been statistically proven to be extremely crowed at that time of year.

• Capnrip
              Capnrip commented
              Editing a comment
              I wasn't trying to be mean Tim. I got thrown out of Engineering school twice so I have a enormous respect for someone who can navigate that process. A few things did stick which have been helpful. As for riding, certainly not Memorial Day weekend and you really want to do it before all the schools let out which gets us to those three weekends. Now lets get back to bashing Curt for not finishing his ride report.

• cabnfvr
              cabnfvr commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not a full fledged engineer, just an two year associate degree in Mechanical Engineering (which took 7 years of night school.) My background does have a few decades as a mechanical designer, nuclear power plants and off highway construction equipment systems. Numbers fascinate me, and I have been privy to some high level meetings on nuclear power plant design and vehicle safety where it's almost scary how numbers can be used to support almost any viewpoint. But back on track, mid-May is wet. When we scheduling BRPR in years past we kept running up against the cold Northern sates in April vs Mother's Day vs Memorial Day vs college graduation in the Roanoke to Staunton areas. Finding a date is difficult, but finding a host motel that invites us back is even more difficult. All that said, I'll support any date change the collective wants to try.

Originally posted by Capnrip View Post
            OK Mr. Engineer, that's true if you enter two data points, but if you have data every day for the past 100 years the avearages mean a lot more. You are correct that averages don't guarantee you particular weather one way or the other, just probability. It wasn't a huge difference in rainfall once you got out of the 31 days but it did drop some. And trying to stay on track at least for now, it's about the dates.
            Even though 1 year won't have much effect on your 100 year average, I'm still taking full credit for the great weather we had for BRPR 2019. All it took was 2 guys showing up from Texas to throw a wrench in the weather forecast, so I guess Gary & I will have to make the trek again for 2020 making all this debate moot.

"Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

Comment

• Capnrip
              Capnrip commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you're to blame for global warming.

Originally posted by McFly View Post
            Even though 1 year won't have much effect on your 100 year average, I'm still taking full credit for the great weather we had for BRPR 2019. All it took was 2 guys showing up from Texas to throw a wrench in the weather forecast, so I guess Gary & I will have to make the trek again for 2020 making all this debate moot.
            Which one will come first, the 2019 ride report or next years rally? No pressure though.

Comment

Originally posted by McFly View Post
              Friday was 20% chance of rain. We were rained on Friday morning and again Friday evening. Saturday was 20% chance of rain. It waited until almost all of us were in but then it rained, and there wasn't even a dark cloud overhead! Sure glad you 2 guys made it or we'd have been in a terrible mess.

Comment

Tim nails it.. "I'd still rather ride in rain mid-May than navigate the Parkway on Memorial Weekend ".. As someone who rides the parkway every week I can confirm... Memorial Day weekend is one of only 2 weekends I can not.. will not get on the parkway.. To quote Charlton Heston in "Planet of the Apes..."It's a madhouse.. a madhouse.."

https://youtu.be/DMnM_cQu6Fo

Comment

Something else to consider, there has been some chatter regarding a Rocky Mountain Rally in July of 2020. May not be a thing, but then again...

Comment

The tourist thing can be awful. Weekends here are a pain so we’re lucky enough to play on weekdays!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                      Tim nails it.. "I'd still rather ride in rain mid-May than navigate the Parkway on Memorial Weekend ".. As someone who rides the parkway every week I can confirm... Memorial Day weekend is one of only 2 weekends I can not.. will not get on the parkway.. To quote Charlton Heston in "Planet of the Apes..."It's a madhouse.. a madhouse.."

https://youtu.be/DMnM_cQu6Fo
                      Jerry what's it like the last weekend in May and the first weekend in June? FWIW no one was talking about doing it Memorial Day weekend. I'm getting advice like your Charleston Beach advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Capnrip View Post

Jerry what's it like the last weekend in May and the first weekend in June? FWIW no one was talking about doing it Memorial Day weekend. I'm getting advice like your Charleston Beach advice.
                        You can't get to Charleston Beach from the BRPR during Memorial Day Weekend. Just helping.

Comment

Hey Joe, I'm thinking of three capital letters. Can you guess which ones?...………..I'll help, guess the middle letter G_Y! Martin, feel free to help.
                          Last edited by Capnrip; 06-11-2019, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X