Lake Superior Circle Tour 08-15JUN2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Superior Circle Tour 08-15JUN2019

Hadn't been around Lake Superior since I did it the first time Solo on my '86 Yamaha FJ1200...that trip was a blur. This time with 4 Riding Buds and going Counter-Clockwise from Superior Wisconsin. It was cold and sometimes very wet. The flying insects were ravenous as well. Locals told us that August is better. Border crossings (Sault Saint Marie and Grand Portage) were un-eventful. Saw many Deer mainly in Wisconsin.

We had 3 Riders running Sena 30K, one Rider with a Sena 20S, and Me with my new Sena 20S EVO. It was frustrating the first few days till we began using Voice Commands. The one that worked the best was "Intercom x" where "x" is "one", "two", "three", or "four". It didn't seem to matter which intercom channel was selected, just cycle through them till you get everyone connected. Sometime an Echo would begin and we had to power down and up and try again. We suspect Sena did allot of software development with the Voice Commands but maybe don't validate between newer and older rmodels.

B'fast east of Superior Wisconsin North of Houghton MI on the east side of the Peninsula.  Flying insects were in Attack Mode! Hotel Room facing Lake Superior in Munising Michigan
    '11 BMW K1300S - Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler, OEM Centerstand, Grip Puppies, OEM Rear Rack, OEM Bags, Three Vent Holes in Filler Neck, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Kickstand Foot, Ilmburger Rear Hugger, Throttle Meister, Stebel Horn, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Corbin Seat, Z-Technik Smoke Windscreen, R&G Frame Sliders

We've done the North Shore several times and did the Circle Tour in 2016.
    Liked the waterfalls and lighthouses.
    Where is the observation platform?
    Lee
    Iowa
    2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Lee View Post
      Where is the observation platform?
      It's in Nipigon Ontario. Nice view looking south at the inlet waters of Lake Superior and also the Suspension Bridge is visible to the northeast.
      '11 BMW K1300S - Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler, OEM Centerstand, Grip Puppies, OEM Rear Rack, OEM Bags, Three Vent Holes in Filler Neck, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Kickstand Foot, Ilmburger Rear Hugger, Throttle Meister, Stebel Horn, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Corbin Seat, Z-Technik Smoke Windscreen, R&G Frame Sliders

Comment

Pretty cool! Thanks for posting.

Comment

Very cool, and pierogies. Mmmmm!
          Chattanooga, TN
          Certified Hooligan.
          2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

We've done Huron a few times but never Superior. We need to fix that.

Comment

Originally posted by R111S View Post

It's in Nipigon Ontario. Nice view looking south at the inlet waters of Lake Superior and also the Suspension Bridge is visible to the northeast.
              They were still working on that bridge when we crossed it in 2016.
              I wanted to pull into the work zone to take pictures but Debbie didn't think that was a good idea
              Lee
              Iowa
              2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

• cabnfvr
                cabnfvr commented
                Editing a comment
                We don't have pics but it's amazing how quick one can turn around when rounding a turn and THERE are pickups and excavators and stuff moving all over the place.
                Allegedly.

Dan,
              looks like you had a great time! Something I need to put on my bucket list.

Comment

Thought that was by the sea until I Google mapped it. Its huge!!
                2015 Black BMW K1300R @ 49,200 km / 30,500 mi
                2006 Honda FireBlade @ 83,200 km / 51,800 mi - 3 x transcontinentals & a whole lotta hooning

DEAD: 2012 Acid Green BMW K1300R @ 172,600 km / 107,200 mi - Hit a kangaroo - RIP dear friend

Comment

• cabnfvr
                  cabnfvr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They build ocean size ships just to work on the Great Lakes!!

• Lee
                  Lee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Great Lake Ships can be bigger than ocean going ships.

Originally posted by FR4N View Post
                Thought that was by the sea until I Google mapped it. Its huge!!
                Unless I'm mistaken, Lake Superior is the largest fresh water lake in the world. Here's a link to the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum that tells about the Edmond Fitzgerald sinking (https://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/). All 29 Crew Members of he Edmond Fitzgerald lost their lives in a November Storm. They were only 15 miles out from White Fish Point. A Music Artist named Gordon Lightfoot made a song about it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A).

Comment

Originally posted by R111S View Post

. Here's a link to the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum that tells about the Edmond Fitzgerald sinking (https://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/). All 29 Crew Members of he Edmond Fitzgerald lost their lives in a November Storm. They were only 15 miles out from White Fish Point. A Music Artist named Gordon Lightfoot made a song about it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A).
                  Both Debbie and I did not hear about the shipwreck on the news when it happened. We did not know it was a true story until we visited one of the Great Lakes museums in the 80s.

Lee
                  Iowa
                  2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

Impressive when you can see these ships up close.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020481.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	6801

Name:	P1020484.JPG
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	6802

Name:	P1040296.JPG
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	6803
                    Lee
                    Iowa
                    2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

Dan,
                      how long does it take to do the circle? How many miles is it actually? Looks like a cool ride, something I may want to do one of these days!

Comment

• R111S
                        R111S commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hi Dan, for me ~2.5k miles. We left East Peoria IL and rode to Superior WI. From there we went counter-clockwise around. We overnighted in Houghton MI, Munising MI, Wawa ON, Nipigon ON and back to Eau Claire WI via Superior WI. The locals told us August is the best time of year to go. Others have said September is good too.

Dan,
                      wow, I didn’t realize it was 2,500 miles, thats awesome! Going to have to talk to my buddy about doing that ride.

Comment

Originally posted by RS530 View Post
                        Dan,
                        how long does it take to do the circle? How many miles is it actually? Looks like a cool ride, something I may want to do one of these days!
                        I think we took 12 days from southern Iowa.
                        Lee
                        Iowa
                        2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

Working...
                        X