KHCR 2019 Pics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KHCR 2019 Pics

KHCR 2019. Dale said it best, we wait through June, then July, and FINALLY !!! it's August. And then, suddenly, it's Saturday evening. Where does the time go? And why so quickly? It was great to see old friends again but sadly no new faces attended. I'm not sure how to change that but rallies have been dwindling everywhere, not just our Refined Hooligans. Our trip started Thursday morning. This is Looking Glass Falls just 20 minutes from home.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	01-DSCF0336.JPG Views:	1 Size:	190.2 KB ID:	9796

We only took a small part of interstate to get there, I-40 through the Pigeon River Gorge. As Interstates go that's a pretty one. From there we went up US 25 to Corbin KY and stopped by the original KFC. it was Sander's Cafe back then. They have a lot of the original cafe preserved inside. If you haven't been it's a neat stop.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	02-DSCF0355.JPG Views:	1 Size:	149.6 KB ID:	9797

Somewhere up the road a ways we came upon the obligatory "it's 90 plus degrees so let's stop fr road construction". Thankfully it didn't last long, neither the wait nor the construction. Soon we're on the road again.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	03-DSCF0356.JPG Views:	1 Size:	89.0 KB ID:	9798

The trip was 7 1/2 hours. Not bad at all. We arrived at the motel just in time to see Lefty preparing for his next ride. The S1000RR forum recommends changing these regularly.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	04-DSCF0358.JPG Views:	1 Size:	124.2 KB ID:	9799

What? Friday already? I show off our TFT dash and discuss the obvious shortcomings of my radar detector setup. It's a work in progress.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	05-DSCF0361.JPG Views:	1 Size:	104.9 KB ID:	9800

And then the highlight of the day. This place checks off the quirky (name) and educational (paleontology) boxes for today's ride.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	06-DSCF0368.JPG Views:	1 Size:	191.6 KB ID:	9801

Last edited by cabnfvr; 08-13-2019, 08:07 PM.

It's hard to top a Big Bone Lick but our next stop is more famous. It burnt in 2016 but has been rebuilt in it's original location and decor. Worth the ride up just to say we've been. Rabbit Hash General Store, Rabbit hash, KY.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	07-DSCF0371.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	9804

That mayoral doggy was nowhere to be seen. This is his (or her) buddy. Not a bad way to spend a hot day.

Name:	08-DSCF0372.JPG
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	9805

From Rabbit hash we took the ferry across the O HI O. Next July we'll be at the Rising Sun Motor Inn in Glacier National Park. When i saw the town over the O HI O was named Rising Sun we just had to go. Nice, smooth ferry ride. Just don't get too eager to leave the ship.

Name:	09-DSCF0380.JPG
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	9806

The ferry was small, maybe 12 car limit or so. It was nice and cool on the water.

Name:	10-DSCF0381.JPG
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	9807

Once in Rising Sun we looked for a place to have lunch. The Main Street Diner looked good, and it was. highly recommend it if you are ever in Rising Sun, Indiana.

Name:	11-DSCF0384.JPG
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	9808

The diner, exterior.

Name:	12-DSCF0387.JPG
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	9809

Comment

And in keeping with our previous GS Adventures we had a road turn to gravel on us, then go down a steep hill. We've done slimy goo, ridden over a blast drilled closed highway, crossed a river that was unacceptably between us and our way out, and clawed our way up a tennis ball sized rock hill that stopped dedicated dirt bikes so in the grand scheme of things this was easy. But we sure do have a way of finding this stuff.

Name:	13-DSCF0390.JPG
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	9811

Safely back at the motel we shower and look around for our Refined Hooligans. They're not hard to spot, chilling out and having some good ole apple juice and lemonade.

Name:	14-DSCF0392.JPG
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	9812

Bill has a new truck. It's got to be the nicest work truck we've ever seen. Me like, Susan like.

Name:	15-DSCF0394.JPG
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	9813

Saturday already? Time is flying by. We rode over to Lincoln's Homestead and checked out where he grew up.

Name:	16-DSCF0398.JPG
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	9814

From there we rode over to the Lincoln memorial. Not the one in Washington, the one in Kentucky.

Name:	17-DSCF0401.JPG
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	9815

The steps are one for each year of his life. A replica of the log cabin he was born in is inside of the building.

Name:	18-DSCF0403.JPG
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	9816

Comment

Back on the road, sharing it with Buick's and the occasional working fellow.

Name:	19-DSCF0408.JPG
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	9818

Did we mention it was hot? After the homestead and memorial we zigzagged over to Perryville but .... when we got to US 150 there was a sign that said "Bardstown that a way". Or at least that's how we saw it. It's after 11am, it's over 90 degrees, and we decided to head back and walk to town for lunch. Mammy's was packed so we went across the street to the Talbott Inn. It was delicious!

Name:	20-DSCF0410.JPG
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	9819

Next door was the old jail, replete with the cross bars of doom. One feels extremely vulnerable in this thing.

Name:	21-DSCF0413.JPG
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	9820

Laundry is usually a rinse in the sink and dry overnight but that works best west of the Mississippi. We took a cue from Lee and Debbie and did the outdoors thing. Works like a charm.

Name:	22-DSCF0414.JPG
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	9821

As mentioned above it's Saturday already. Bummer. We supervise a bike loading.

Name:	23-DSCF0421.JPG
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	9822

Then walk around front to catch some shade for a while. Matt's relaxing as well.

Name:	24-DSCF0423.JPG
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	9823

While Eddie enjoys a refreshing beverage.

Name:	25-DSCF0424.JPG
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	9824

Soon the sun finds us so it's time to head around back again.

Name:	26-DSCF0428.JPG
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	9825

Comment

Finding shade is not difficult. There was a brief overlap of sun from to back but it cooled down quick in the evening. Bert and Tanya relaxing.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	27-DSCF0430.JPG Views:	1 Size:	172.4 KB ID:	9827

Bill needed something to put in the back of his magnificent truck so he brought this, a Ducati Multistrada 1200 S. Nice bike sir, very nice!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	28-DSCF0431.JPG Views:	1 Size:	120.2 KB ID:	9828

And then it's Sunday morning. Back on the road again. Sunrise was beautiful. The pic doesn't do it justice.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	29-DSCF0437.JPG Views:	1 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	9829

Just below Pineville KY is a state park we stop at for breakfast on our way home. It's about 5 miles off the main highway but it's hardly ever crowded and doubles as a good rest stop.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	30-DSCF0443.JPG Views:	1 Size:	202.8 KB ID:	9830

Before long we start to see mountains, and mountains mean home. We're still getting used to being "home" after being gone for too many years.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	31-DSCF0447.JPG Views:	1 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	9831

About 45 minutes from home we stop at Blue Ridge motorcycle Campground. I had intentions of getting a cold drink of water but the camp store was closed. This is a great motorcyle campground if you are ever in the western NC mountains on US 276.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	32-DSCF0451.JPG Views:	1 Size:	191.5 KB ID:	9832
          Four days, 1014 miles, great friends, great times. We're already looking forward to Maggie Valley in four weeks, then Arkansas a few weeks after that. Maggie Valley is 86 miles away the long way but GREAT roads. For Arkansas we're going to do the northern half of the Natchez Trace, then Clarksdale MS, Mount Magazine AR, and finally Jasper and The Gordon!! We can't wait, we just wish those last Saturday's didn't come around so soon.

For those of you who have never been to one of our gatherings, come on down. There is nothing organized, no fees, no raffles, no name tags. just great friends and great times. And maybe the occasional safety meeting or adult beverage. Or bonfire.
          Last edited by cabnfvr; 08-13-2019, 08:18 PM.

Comment

An excellent piece of photo journalism Sir Tim! Sorry I missed it.

Comment

Thank you Tim and Susan !!

Comment

Originally posted by cabnfvr View Post

Laundry is usually a rinse in the sink and dry overnight but that works best west of the Mississippi. We took a cue from Lee and Debbie and did the outdoors thing. Works like a charm.
                Blazing sun and mid 90s will dry those bras in no time

Thanks for the great report and pictures Tim and Susan.
                Looking forward to doing it again in October.
                Do you plan to stay at the Mt. Magazine Lodge before Jasper?
                Last edited by Lee; 08-13-2019, 09:42 PM.
                Lee
                Iowa
                2016 R1200RS

Comment

• cabnfvr
                  cabnfvr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We'll be at Mt magazine the Monday before Jasper.

• Susan
                  Susan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dried my long handled silk drawers too :-)

Great pictures, and nice report, yes I agree 100%, we wait for months for our bike trips and before you know it your back home already. I cant believe I’ve been back from my glacier national park trip for a month already. Where does the time go? I’ll be in your neck of the woods next week, passing through Asheville N.C. and staying for a couple days on my way to Pauly”s Island to visit a friend.

Comment

Thanks Tim And Susan. Loved it.
                  Chattanooga, TN
                  Certified Hooligan.
                  2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

Great report and pics Tim and Suz! Missed seeing youz guys...but not the heat!🤪

Comment

• Susan
                      Susan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don't that Porsche have AC? :-O It was indeed a wet heat, plus humidity, but we had a fun trip!

Purty poor with the top down...😏😁

Comment

Thanks for sharing the great pics. Couldn't make the rally, but, was in Bardstown in June. Talbots and Mammy's always good. Barton's 1792 always really good!

Comment

• Lee
                        Lee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Welcome to the site Chuck.

• cabnfvr
                        cabnfvr commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hate we missed you. Mammy had a 45 minute wait -- for lunch !! Say hi to Julie. We'll see you two in Great Falls if not before.

Love the report & pics Tim! Wish I could have made the scene for this year's rally but have too many things going on trying to keep my business afloat. Unfortunately DGR is most likely out too, which sucks because I was looking forward to Maggie Valley as Command Central. If I was a little closer geographically, I might be able to pull it off.

Time flies when you're having fun that's for sure. That burger looks like a worthy imitation Angry Hornet!

Looking forward to seeing you & Susan in Jasper.
                      "Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

Comment

• cabnfvr
                        cabnfvr commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It was as good as Oark, just in a different way. there's only one Angry hornet. Yummmm!!! See you in Tejas next spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice writeup Tim, thanks!
                      Matt
                      Street: 2011 Ducati Multistrada S :: 2000 Honda VFR @ 39k :: 2002 BMW K1200RS @ 13k ... round 3
                      Track: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750 :: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
                      Dirt: Honda CRF450X
                      IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.

Comment

Working...
                      X