GS911 alternative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS911 alternative

looking to purchase a GS911 in the near future as my bike has service reminders, and would like to exercise the ABS pump and bleed, was looking at the K-bike forum posts and I saw one guy recommended:
    MOTOSCAN APP
    OBD2 READER AND ADAPTER CABLE
    says will do the same and more than the GS911? Can someone explain what and how this works versus the GS911. I am not the most computer savvy, and where to purchase. Thank you Dan

I bought the ODBLink MX (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and Android phone (only use iPhones) and the MotoScan app.
    The MotoScan app has ALL the same functions as the GS-911, no limit on bikes, and also ADAPTATION functions that the GS 911 lacks.
    In other words, you can actually CHANGE SETTINGS on your motorcycle other than just reading codes, and resetting service reminders.

I only use the the MotoScan now. I recommend you give it a try.
    The OBDLink MX is $70. And the MotoScan app about $40. If you have an Android phone, you won't have that expense.
    That's a better value than the GS-911 (which I also have, and paid for the "pro" version, that does nothing other than reading codes).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by mondrage; 09-13-2019, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• spikesgrey
      spikesgrey commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you explain how the setup with this works? How does the ODB Link MX connect to the bike? Does your android phone connect via Bluetooth?

Am I understanding correctly that you can not use an iPhone only an android? Could I use my windows lap top?

Comment

Correct. Only an Android device. No Windows or iOS.

Comment

Rats, I use the iPhone😩😩
        Wouldn’t be cost effective to go buy another new phone or have an extra one tied to my account.
        just my luck

Comment

Thank you for all the information, at least it gives me something to try if I decide down the road to get an Android,
          but looks like my only other option is a GS911
          maybe I can find a used GS911 in the meantime 🙏
          Last edited by RS530; 09-14-2019, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I have been using the Motoscan app and OBD link for awhile now and will recommend wholeheartedly.
            Chattanooga, TN
            Certified Hooligan.
            2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

I would without a doubt go the motoscan route, but my only issue is I don't have am Android phone, and everyone in my family has the iPhone as well.

Comment

Just buy an old android phone off ebay. All you need is Wifi and bluetooth.
                Chattanooga, TN
                Certified Hooligan.

Comment

I don’t understand, won’t I need to activate the phone with my cellular company so the phone will work with the app?

Comment

Nope, it will work on wifi. You can make an account under a gmail on the play store and download any app. Then BT it to the motoscan.
                    Chattanooga, TN
                    Certified Hooligan.

Comment

• RS530
                      RS530 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ok, I will look into this, thank you

after finding and using MotoScan, I can't understand the hype and price of the GS-911. It's ridiculous.

Comment

• RS530
                      RS530 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I know I am going the motoscan option, just need to order everything up

I assume you can use any round to OBDC connector (of the correct number of pins of course).

Comment

Originally posted by cabnfvr View Post
                      I assume you can use any round to OBDC connector (of the correct number of pins of course).
                      https://www.amazon.com/OHP-Diagnosti.../dp/B01HQSNBR2
                      Chattanooga, TN
                      Certified Hooligan.

Comment

• cabnfvr
                        cabnfvr commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You da man-i Thanks !!

So now, for only 71 dollars plus shipping I can reset the SERVICE info without having to go to the dealer (assuming they would even do it) and pay them who knows what. Cool !!!
                        Last edited by cabnfvr; 09-17-2019, 06:55 PM.

Don’t want to sound anymore of an idiot, but is that the adapter I will need for my 2016 K1300S??

Comment

Working...
                      X