No announcement yet.

Lithium battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The EarthX batteries do not require a special charger because any features it needs about cell balancing et. al. are built in to the battery.

I poo-poo'ed this whole LiPo battery thing for several years with some of the same comments already posted here (push back from the buffet sooner). I had a fine track record of buying a cheap, sealed battery from Battery Warehouse for $60 and never thinking about it again. So last year when my GS needed a battery, I decided, what the heck, I'm made of money . Let's give it a try. So far it's been flawless and weighs less than the box it came in. So I went ahead and put one in my 1290R and when the battery starts to fail in my WR250R, I'll probably put one in that too. All EarthX batteries. I figured why not lets go see what all this fuss is about and if my garage burns down, I'll consider my experiment a failure.

Comment

• Captain Howdy
      Captain Howdy commented
      Editing a comment
      “The EarthX batteries do not require a special charger because any features it needs about cell balancing et. al. are built in to the battery”.

https://earthxbatteries.com/our-batt...ttery-charging

Worth a read 🤔

• Pittsdriverwes
      Pittsdriverwes commented
      Editing a comment
      Did not know all that - thanks for the link Captain. With the other bikes in the garage getting all my attention this year, the GS has sat for long periods of time without being cranked. But when I do get around to cranking it, it turns over like its got a Mr. Fusion reactor in it - very snappy. Now, if I can just remember to put it on the center stand I won't get that cloud of blue smoke the first time a crank it in a while.

Sure seems pretty fool proof and plenty safe for me! Thank you for all the information, after reading all about it, don’t know what anyone would be too worried about. Looks like they have made some major advances in the battery technology. Not cheap tho.

Comment

Lipo4 battery in my XR for 2 years, no issues, no trouble starting even with temps in the 20s f
      2022 R1250GS Rallye
      2023 S1000XR

Comment

Here is some additional information (see below). A version of the S1000RR comes with a lithium battery. I wonder if the bike charging system had any changes made to it for this. They seem to benefit to a slightly higher charge voltage. Anyway my Yuasa dry charge AGM is in the mail.
        https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/newbattery.htm

Comment

• R111S
          R111S commented
          Editing a comment
          A thorough review on the various Battery Technologies from an Air-Head Enthusiast...Thanks for sharing Beach! So far my Interstate Batteries AGM Unit is working well. I have a Bosch Battery Charger/Maintainer (set to AGM Mode) hooked up to to my K1300S whenever it's parked in my Garage.

Cant believe this discussion is still going. 😄
        Chattanooga, TN
        Certified Hooligan.
        2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

• Pittsdriverwes
          Pittsdriverwes commented
          Editing a comment
          Weather causing fewer riding days means more time to spank the monkey on here.

• Susan
          Susan commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe turn it into an oil thread...

I always oil my lithium batteries with only extra virgin synthetic royal purple olive oil
        2022 R1250GS Rallye
        2023 S1000XR

Comment

So we don’t answer questions now😳

Comment

What was the question?
            2022 R1250GS Rallye
            2023 S1000XR

Comment

• 802Mike
              802Mike commented
              Editing a comment
              Can I bring one back from the dead?
              I didn't have it on the charger and it's DEAD.

• Pittsdriverwes
              Pittsdriverwes commented
              Editing a comment
              I was informed by a guy at my local Battery Warehouse that often times it's not the battery that won't come back from the dead but rather your charger. Apparently our consumer type chargers won't activate to charge a completely dead battery. I had a sealed battery that was completely flat that would not take a charge at home. I took it up to the Battery Warehouse as a core trade in and he convinced me to let them put it on their charger. That battery was still fine two years later when I sold my KLR.

• Captain Howdy
              Captain Howdy commented
              Editing a comment
              The first post

If it isn’t completely discharged you should be able to, if it reach its shut down level it seems it depends on how long it’s been there as to the future safety of it
            Last edited by Karlb; 11-19-2019, 09:41 PM.
            2022 R1250GS Rallye
            2023 S1000XR

Comment

You mean Zombie dead batteries? like the one I threw away 15 years ago.
              I think I need to go oil my batteries for the winter.
              Chattanooga, TN
              Certified Hooligan.

Comment

• Pittsdriverwes
                Pittsdriverwes commented
                Editing a comment
                Just make sure you use oil rated MA2 and not that blinker fluid you have laying around.

Don’t forget to use terminal velocity gel on the terminals too
              2022 R1250GS Rallye
              2023 S1000XR

Comment

Anyone else ever wonder why lithium batteries are made by companies we've never heard of? Where are the Duracell, Interstate, Yuasa lithium's? Instead we get EarthX, Anti-gravity, etc. Enquiring minds .....

Comment

• Captain Howdy
                  Captain Howdy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think that the names you mentioned will be forced to produce lithium batteries or go the way Kodak did by not adopting digital technology soon enough AND they invented the digital camera. Now we have brands like samsung, go pro, sony et al. Progress it is

Deltran and Gs Yuasa both sell lithium ion batts
                2022 R1250GS Rallye
                2023 S1000XR

Comment

I am old and bold pilot. Still have not embraced the Li culture.
                  Maybe one day, when Joe says its OK.
                  Chattanooga, TN
                  Certified Hooligan.

Comment

I bought this one. It's blue. I like blue. Click image for larger version

Name:	51jaRMJkKYL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	14291

Comment

• R111S
                      R111S commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice looking Battery! I remember when the Men of Old would say things like "Road Hugging Weight". A good Meal at a local Momn'Pops with Pie and Ice Cream for Desert has nearly the same effect...it's called Road Hugging Weight Food!. You'll stick to the road like Velcro!

• Pittsdriverwes
                      Pittsdriverwes commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don't you just love the ubiquitous label: "State of the Art." Who is this Art character anyway and why would I care about in what state he lives? He must be a pretty important guy to be referred to as not just any Art but "The Art."

• justjoe
                      justjoe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You know, Art's state is world reknown!
                  Working...
                  X