Getting the GS set up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the GS set up

Been picking up stuff to set up the GS and was leaning toward sw Motech crash bars when I found a full set of upper and lower bars from Touratech on fleabay. I put in a bid and got them for 287.00!! They arrived the other day and yesterday morning I opened up the box and was delighted to find not only the bars in great shape, but the seller had also sent a set of radiator guards from Touratech at no charge! I installed the lower ads yesterday and am waiting on some other items to arrive before installing the upper so I can do them all at once.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	51716BDE-5576-4D96-88B8-B9D0FCBC6A9B.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	9157
    2018 R1200GS
    2016 S1000XR
    2018 WR250R

Score! It is nice having a GS in the shack. It is even nicer having a sportbike with the GS in the shack!

Comment

Yeah I would almost let go of the XR but I don’t want to spring for an RR and since I am not doing track days the XR is a better road going sport bike anyway, truly only lacking the top end 160 plus of the RR but giving better sight distance and much better comfort
      2018 R1200GS
      2016 S1000XR
      2018 WR250R

Comment

Originally posted by Karlb View Post
        Yeah I would almost let go of the XR but I don’t want to spring for an RR and since I am not doing track days the XR is a better road going sport bike anyway, truly only lacking the top end 160 plus of the RR but giving better sight distance and much better comfort
        Insert Tuono here! Has the top end, power, sporty responses and plenty comfortable. I did 330 miles yesterday on it with no issues. I'm not busting on the XR, it's a great bike, but it isn't set up like the Tuono either.

Comment

What’s the fuel range on it?
          2018 R1200GS
          2016 S1000XR
          2018 WR250R

Comment

What’s the fuel range on it?
            I fuel up every 100 miles, whether I need it or not. Fuel capacity is 4.9 gallons and mileage depends completely on how much I'm in the throttle. I'm getting 32mpg on average but as I said, a hard run across the Cherohala and I want to put fuel in it, just in case!

Comment

Joe, the XR has a fuel gauge which will start counting down when it wants to. The range says 155 till you burn a lot of fuel and then suddenly starts counting down.
              But for all purposes, at least it has one.
              Chattanooga, TN
              Certified Hooligan.
              2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

Been picking up stuff to set up the GS and was leaning toward sw Motech crash bars when I found a full set of upper and lower bars from Touratech on fleabay. I put in a bid and got them for 287.00!! They arrived the other day and yesterday morning I opened up the box and was delighted to find not only the bars in great shape, but the seller had also sent a set of radiator guards from Touratech at no charge! I installed the lower ads yesterday and am waiting on some other items to arrive before installing the upper so I can do them all at once.
                Karl, looking good buddy, there is a lot of stuff coming up on ADV as well, as guys are moving to the 1250. May I suggest a sargent seat. Absolutely worth it.
                Chattanooga, TN
                Certified Hooligan.

Comment

Came with the upgraded comfort seat from BMW. So far it seems fine, definitely watching the adv flea market
                  2018 R1200GS
                  2016 S1000XR
                  2018 WR250R

Comment

I've bought a lot of things from ADV, I had to act fast though.
                    I got three different seats for my first GS from there but had to snatch them up. Later sold the
                    ones I didn't want and only lost shipping cost to me at worst.
                    I have a BMS from Rocky Mayer now that was built for me at the Hamburg, NY MOA Rally a
                    few years ago. Rocky wasn't even there at the time. I showed up early, no appointment, no
                    work order and his guys went right to work on it. I tested it and they made a few adjustments
                    until I was satisfied. They told me to come back later when he was there to pay. It took two
                    more trips back before they could take my money.
                    His guys worked their asses off in 90* heat the whole rally.
                    Totally trust these guys!
                    https://www.billmayer-saddles.com/pa...bms-difference

No problem going all day or all week on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	9237

Comment

Nice addition to the stable Karl!
                      "Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

Comment

So, what are people using for auxiliary lights to see and to be seen? I think the bmw lights look great, but I also think the price is crazy. I still need upper crash bars on my 2019 GS. I'll get them soon. I'd like to get some aux lights that don't break the bank that is already broken. thanks
                        Last edited by allikanbe; 4 days ago. Reason: corrected the year to 2019

Comment

• 802Mike
                          802Mike commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Clearwater Erica with amber lenses, ties into their CanOpener. Blow the horn
                          and the lights flash or just flash them.

• Lee
                          Lee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          We have Clearwater Darlas with yellow protective covers along with Billie brake lights all tied into CanOpener. Not cheap.
                          You can pull the yellow covers off if riding at night.
                          Denali is another popular light.
                          Last edited by Lee; 1 week ago.

I look for LED Flood Lamps on Amazon with =>1200 Lumens each - typically less than $50/Pair. I then go to the local Ace Hardware Store and buy some Aluminum Stock to make mounting brackets. Lastly, buy a 20 Amp Automotive Relay, Fuse Holder, and On/Off Switch (Marine Spec) from your local Bass Pro Shop.
                        Last edited by R111S; 1 week ago.
                        '11 BMW K1300S - Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler, OEM Centerstand, Grip Puppies, OEM Rear Rack, OEM Bags, Three Vent Holes in Filler Neck, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Kickstand Foot, Ilmburger Rear Hugger, Throttle Meister, Stebel Horn, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Corbin Seat, Z-Technik Smoke Windscreen, R&G Frame Sliders

Comment

I bought a set of yellow LED lights on amazon (~30$) and the denali mounting bar (~150$) all plugged into the HEX EZ-can (~300$) and am very satisfied for the price. I am not to worried of breaking a light while offraoding as the cost for replacement is minimal. Will try to find a picture and post it later.

Comment

I bought a knock off of the BD lights from the bay. Came with yellow removable covers an all. Works well to be conspicuous and throws a pretty decent beam down range.
                            I installed it with a canbus thingy from South Africa made by a guy on ADV the Can Switch. Far superior than anything out there. Its got all the GeeWiz stuff and 8 circuits, all controlled by Wifi off an app on your phone.
                            Chattanooga, TN
                            Certified Hooligan.

Comment

Working...
                            X