Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW e-bikes

https://electrek.co/2021/09/06/bmw-u...ic-motorcycle/

The electric motorcycle shown is very similar to something I bought this past spring:

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike-black-edition

This e-bike is pretty amazing in the amount of torque it produces. Top speed is "only" about 45 mph but it goes from 0 - 30 like a bottle rocket. It's impossible ti give it full throttle from a dead stop and not loop it. I get it rolling about 5 mph and snap the throttle open and have to crawl up over the bars to keep that from looping. It's basically all mountain bike components (brakes, forks, etc). With the 60v, 32Ah battery it's good for roaming around trails in the woods all day. I went from about 10 am until 3 pm and ended to 40% battery left.

I put "only" 45 mph in quotes because think about how you'd feel on a mountain bike going 45 mph. That's way faster than I ever need to ride this thing and I use it as my stealthy trials bike. I have a riding area near my home where I practice and no one ever knows I'm there as I'm crawling around log and rock hopping and such.

Luna is the only importer of these bikes and every time they get a container from China they're sold out very quickly. SurRon is owned by Segway and this X bike is exactly the same as the Segway X260 with one exception. The Segway comes with a wireless interface to their app for changing configuration modes - and it costs $800 more.

I ride mine almost everyday roaming around in the trails near my house and love it. I'd definitely buy one of these again.

A K1600 is 129 ft. lbs of torque to propel an over 700 lb motorcycle. This thing has over 180 ft. lbs of torque instantly available in a bike that weights 120 lbs. Giddy up.

Speed is relative. A friend of mine had a 28' Scarab that had twin blown 454's. It would do 62mph.

Comment

• Pittsdriverwes
      Pittsdriverwes commented
      Editing a comment
      62 mph in a 28' boat would be the stuff of nightmares for me. I've gone faster than that on jet skis here on the Chesapeake but it would have to be very smooth water to go that fast in anything.

I like the trail version. Oh yeah!
    Chattanooga, TN
    Certified Hooligan.
    2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

• Pittsdriverwes
      Pittsdriverwes commented
      Editing a comment
      Mani, I think you'd really enjoy having a Sur Ron X bike. It's 110 lbs with 180 ft. lbs of instant torque which makes it a real hoot roaming around in the woods on single tracks. I ride mine like a trials bike.
Working...
X