New S1000XR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New S1000XR

BMW has released info on the replacement XR. https://www.bmw-motorrad.pt/pt/model...e/s1000xr.html
    2018 R1200GS
    2016 S1000XR
    2018 CRF250 Rally

No mention of the tire pressure monitoring anywhere. Did you come across this Karl?
    Chattanooga, TN
    Certified Hooligan.
    2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

• Karlb
      Karlb commented
      Editing a comment
      No haven’t seen anything on it yet, hope they gave it proper heated grips too, 23 lbs lighter and 5 hp more than my 16. Taller 6th gear should be nice though.

• Lee
      Lee commented
      Editing a comment
      The 2020 RR has it listed on the option list. I would guess the XR will also have it now.

Why is there so much unused space on the TFT display? It looks like there's at least an inch of margin around it that could be used to make things more readable for these aging eyes.

Comment

• Karlb
      Karlb commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m wondering if it has integrated gps in the TFT as there is no nav 5/6 mount o on it

A new frame and engine but it still looks the same. I'd like a lower narrower bike, narrower bars, more lean to the bars, more sport-touring style, less Adventure bike. And a shaft drive. But then I'm AB normal so ......

Cycle World has a lot of info on the new XR as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019.jpg Views:	1 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	13669

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020.jpg Views:	1 Size:	88.7 KB ID:	13670
    Last edited by cabnfvr; 1 week ago.

Comment

Nah, doesn't ring my bell. For that frame (and the GS/A as well), they need to stop trying to make it something that it isn't. Kind of like a 200hp naked bike is not really interesting to me either. Now give me another K bike with 200hp, drop some weight, add all the new electronic gizmos and then I will become interested again! Until then I am set with the exception of a true sportbike (RSV4 is still one of my not so secret desires).

Comment

200 hp naked, sounds kinda like a Tuono
        2018 R1200GS
        2016 S1000XR
        2018 CRF250 Rally

Comment

• justjoe
          justjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, not quite. The Tuono does have wind protection and only 175hp. I don’t think I’d care for a true naked bike at 200hp. And I added a screen to help.

• Karlb
          Karlb commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll alert Aprilia that they are wrong.

THE VERSION WHICH SETS YOU APART FROM THE PACK

The top-of-the-line naked Aprilia takes yet another step forward in this unique bike where performance and great sporting looks come together to deliver an outstanding ride. The new Tuono V4 100 Factory boasts the most advanced electronic semi-active suspension system on the market, with the Öhlins system offering performance and setting possibilities which guarantee an exhilarating ride whether on the road or track. You are correct though 200hp is just way over the top, compared to a very reasonable 175. Lol
          Last edited by Karlb; 1 week ago.

• justjoe
          justjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s why I said it. 175hp on the Tuono is a lot. I’m not sure I could use it all if I wanted too. Compare it to the XR which is about as aerodynamic as a brick and it’s a waste.

I'm surprised the new engine has the same HP and torque as the 2019.
        I did not see shift cam mentioned in the press release.
        Does it have ride by wire?

Edit: I see Tim's article said it has shift cam.

Edit #2 MCN said it does not have Shift Cam
        https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...s/bmw-s1000xr/
        Last edited by Lee; 1 week ago.
        Lee
        Iowa
        2016 R1200RS

Comment

• cabnfvr
          cabnfvr commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct, no shift cam on the new XR.

Any mention of a S1000R?
        Lee
        Iowa
        2016 R1200RS

Comment

Ya, not a worthwhile upgrade for my 2018 XR.
          That said, I covet that TFT display.
          TPMS is an option that can be ordered on the new XR.
          Chattanooga, TN
          Certified Hooligan.

Comment

Read it has nav thru an app displayed thru the TFT I am skeptical of it being as good as an actual nav 5/6. While I like the TFT on my 18 GS it isn’t a game changer and don’t connect it to my Sena as it’s easier just to connect my nav 5 since it’s moves to all my bikes and makes connecting the same across them. I want to test ride it but it’s going to have to blow me away to get me to move from my 16. Next project for me is upgrading my 250 rally
            2018 R1200GS
            2016 S1000XR
            2018 CRF250 Rally

Comment

Karl, I just saw some pics of the bike sporting a Nav 6 over the TFT.
              Chattanooga, TN
              Certified Hooligan.

Comment

The new V4 Ducati street fighter is represented as over 200 hp. I'm with Joe on this one. If I wanted to ride around over 11,000 rpm I'd probably still be riding an S1000RR. The only bike that might get me off my Super Duke would be a new Monster with more torque and lighter weight.

Comment

• justjoe
                  justjoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Right on Wes. More torque, more usable power in the low/mid-range, lighter weight. That is a street monster!!! Otherwise, for 200hp @ 11k rpm, I want a sportbike on the track.
              Working...
              X