Quiet Air...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quiet Air...

MadStad (https://madstad.com/) has created a number of wind screens (WS) for various models to significantly decrease wind noise.

All allow adjustment of the WS attitude (slope) to optimize function.

On some bikes, adjustment is not needed.

For example, the Indian Chief Vintage and the HD Softail heritage Deluxe have near perfect OEM wind management so you can carry on a conversation with your pillion at expressway speeds and don't need ear plugs.

The WSs on both of these are at ~ 60 degrees. Switch to the Indian Springfield or the HD Road King where the WS slope changes by several degrees and things become noisy.

For other bikes using a single WS is still sufficient when the WS attitude can be changed (corrected) from OEM.

However, this doesn't work for all bikes. These bikes have leading edges below and around the WS that result in turbulence/trailing WS negative pressure and turbulence.

Depending on the latter, quiet air requires a "scoop wind screen" (SWS) or also the addition/use of a "double wind screen" (DWS).

The SWS design captures air coming up from the headlight and uses this extra air to reduce or even eliminate WS trailing negative pressure.

If the leading edge below and/or next to the WS is complex, a DWS design is used.

As mentioned, the design also scoops air coming up from the headlight but additionally smooths the captured airflow with a second/trailing WS. The trailing WS can be shorter than the leading WS and may not be a true WS at all. In many cases the trailing WS is the preexisting or an augment instrument cowling. If not, the shortened height is sufficient and also saves weight.

While MadStad has kits for many brands and models, one is not currently available for my K12RS.

So I came up with a prototype that works well for me (see pic).

Click image for larger version  Name:	attachment.php?attachmentid=25471&d=1571316557.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	13554https://www.k

Here's another approach (see pic below). The perforations apparently act to decrease the negative pressure behind the windscreen.

I use perforated winglets for cooler weather riding. These attach to the trailing windscreen (trailing windscreen is shone in previous post; the winglets are not attached and are not shown).
    Last edited by wildbears; 11-01-2019, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X