Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5G Phone Upgrade

when will it be worth doing?

when will the networks be able to take advantage of the phone hardware?

It’ll be a decade for coverage across the US. The requirements for such a high frequency radio transmission means small cell site technology with towers very close together, as near as 500’ (caused by the inability of the tight radio waves being able to penetrate buildings, terrain, and long distances). There is also major pushback from communities.

Here’s a news article from my town.

https://www.wbir.com/amp/article/new...0-127e33b48390

Comment

On a good day I might get 4 around here in Hooterville. It’ll be a decade for 5.😜

Comment

Is the technology still owned by the Chinese military?

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
          Is the technology still owned by the Chinese military?
          I'm not so concerned with China's influence in 5g as much as I am worried about all of the other ways nefarious actors can infiltrate our systems. IOT is largely unprotected. iPhones and Androids put hackers directly on networks and then carry malicious code into and out of secure facilities and this has nothing to do with Chinese 5G technology. Read up on Stuxnet if you want to know how it could work. And that was a hard operation because we had to target someone to carry a USB thumb drive and plug it into a secure computer.

Comment

Originally posted by justjoe View Post

I'm not so concerned with China's influence in 5g as much as I am worried about all of the other ways nefarious actors can infiltrate our systems. IOT is largely unprotected. iPhones and Androids put hackers directly on networks and then carry malicious code into and out of secure facilities and this has nothing to do with Chinese 5G technology. Read up on Stuxnet if you want to know how it could work. And that was a hard operation because we had to target someone to carry a USB thumb drive and plug it into a secure computer.
            So by your deflection, I'll assume it is still owned by the Chinese military.... Just curious... I still use a flip phone. No need for 5G here. All I use my phone for is talking, listening, and getting the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post

So by your deflection, I'll assume it is still owned by the Chinese military.... Just curious... I still use a flip phone. No need for 5G here. All I use my phone for is talking, listening, and getting the time.
              In reality, all Chinese companies are owned by the State. So, any electronic device that is made in China has the same issues. TV's, laptops, PC's, even automobile electronics. Hence, my comment on IOT. There are people who are using pacemakers with Bluetooth connectivity. For an interesting read, look up security flaws inherent in the Internet of Things.

It's a good time to be a Luddite!

Comment

I needed a new phone...switched from Verizon to T Mobile and got a free S20fe 5G....been with Verizon since 1986!

Comment

5G? When did that happen? Noticed the IPhone 12 is selling for $1000 or more. Never got to use the 4G stuff yet, but always thought I got some ChiCom helpers with the IPhone.
                  Cut with a curse sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul, damned is your life!

Comment

I like being blissfully ignorant. Life is easy since I gave myself up to the Google Gods. My Tricorder is a magic machine.
                    2018 BMW S1000R

2017 Honda CRF250 L ABS

"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
                    Rufus E Miles JR.

Comment

Working...
                    X