Interesting article regarding the state of motorcycle sales in the US

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting article regarding the state of motorcycle sales in the US

I've been reading an online magazine {Moto eMag) and their series regarding the woes of manufacturers today. It is very interesting, to say the least. One of the things that I read is the total number of units sold in the US has dropped significantly. The number that really rings out is that there were close to a million motorcycles sold in 2007 in the US and only 470k last new (new bikes that are). Compare that to 17 million each and every year in India alone. Take a peek if you are interested.

http://moto-emag.com/woes-series.htm

Sounds like they need to market to fat people with an opioid problem.

Comment

LOL! The issue is across the board, not just HD!!

Comment

Don’t have much of a sample here but it would be interesting to learn from our folks if they are riding more or less and of course...why?

Me: Riding less over the last few years. No real reason I suppose except perhaps boredom. As great as my roads are after you’ve ridden them a million times they are “boring”, no matter how fast you go. Then compounding that is the fact of mostly riding solo. And of course my crash a summer ago kept me idle for a while. Then if you’re idle for a while, other distractions crop up...sports cars and some new friends and distractions.

ive changed the fleet a lot but it’ll be interesting to see how this summer develops. I’ve got some track days planned in the car so that’ll be a distraction as well!?

Comment

I'm riding less. 9,000 miles last year compared to my average 12,000+. Also more of what I did last year was two-up.

The major difference is good wife vs, bad wife. My second wife turned out rather quickly to be a real bitch. That was a great inspiration to do lots of big solo trips. Beth, however, is a real peach, so I'd just as soon stick around. It's a good news, bad news sort of thing.
          I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            Related aside: March is the first month in many years that I haven’t had to write an alimony check. Thank Gawd Allmighty, I’m free at last!

Call it the gap between Americans with Get ‘er done attitudes and the new Wimpy Citizen factor. Always the standard for sales decline, H-D has been called out for sales losses comparing older riders and the failing gap to the younger generation. My scientific observation of the BMW crowd exhibits an older machine in the garage with maybe a new sportier bike parked closer to the door ready to tear up the streets. Geezers and the need for speed... keeping the past alive! Just saw an internet story, certainly must be believed, that only one third of our population can qualify for the Marine Corps. A society of cream puffs!

It takes a heartier person to endure a life of motorcycle riding, Indoctrination began in the fifties and sixties inbedding a love for rubber mounted vehicles, but not today. On the personal sales end, I have tried my best to support the market for bike sales. I’m finding life changing priorities for me require financial distributions being directed away from the toys for boys to how can I survive future financial retirement. Translation; not buying anything but a new jacket or helmet, on sale, now and again.

The big retirement plan was to buy a classic pick-up and keep the Toyota iM for the last years of breathing the crap out of our atmosphere here on earth. What the hell! Twenty five grand and it will cost more to make the old one worthy of it’s forty five years on earth. So screw that, now I am looking to buy new when the lease is up. I can retire when it is paid off.

Scientific translation; no more bike purchases of any kind and the motorcycle sales in America remain in the can. Now BMW comes up with the R1250GS, assholes!! The ten billion folks in Asia will have to keep sales up, especially those crazy road warriors in India. They have resources for an excess of crash and burn victims.

Cut with a curse sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul, damned is your life!

Comment

And there is the new culture of the young ones growing up. You cannot tear them away from their electronic screens. They do not feel the need to go out and smell the roses, but look at an Instagram picture with someone's description of how it smells. They absolutely want to do nothing.
            Chattanooga, TN
            Certified Hooligan.
            2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
              I'm riding less. 9,000 miles last year compared to my average 12,000+. Also more of what I did last year was two-up.

The major difference is good wife vs, bad wife. My second wife turned out rather quickly to be a real bitch. That was a great inspiration to do lots of big solo trips. Beth, however, is a real peach, so I'd just as soon stick around. It's a good news, bad news sort of thing.
              They say the third time’s the charm!

Comment

Originally posted by jargon View Post

They say the third time’s the charm!
                Stop it John. Beth is nice.
                Chattanooga, TN
                Certified Hooligan.

Comment

Originally posted by aviator View Post

Stop it John. Beth is nice.
                  Don’t I know it Mani!

Comment

Sorry, my bad. Beth is the third.
                    Chattanooga, TN
                    Certified Hooligan.

Comment

• Rob
                      Rob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And final, Mani. One small problem we have is that I’m only her second husband.

Originally posted by aviator View Post
                    Sorry, my bad. Beth is the third.
                    Mani...if you’ve ever considered politics...don’t!

Comment

Originally posted by justjoe View Post
                      LOL! The issue is across the board, not just HD!!
                      Same over here - sales are well done. https://www.mcnews.com.au/australian...-figures-2018/ Though considering the overall population of both our countries, we're doing way better than you.
                      2015 Black BMW K1300R @ 49,200 km / 30,500 mi
                      2006 Honda FireBlade @ 83,200 km / 51,800 mi - 3 x transcontinentals & a whole lotta hooning

DEAD: 2012 Acid Green BMW K1300R @ 172,600 km / 107,200 mi - Hit a kangaroo - RIP dear friend

Comment

New bikes have complex maintenance needs, driving the younger techhies to run in scooter crowd! All the while women continue to increase numbers in the motorcycle sport. The statistics look worse for the same old shit manufacturers... diversity by the builders, like KTM who are offering quality, exciting, good performing machines, are looking good. BMW looks ok. Overall they don’t offer low cost bikes, but they cover all types of riding and performance needs. If I remember right, there has always been an up/down market for motorcycle sales with fingers pointing at the search for new buyers or a thinning of the geezer group. How are tariffs affecting our sales? That was a good statistics report, let’s check it again in 50 years.
                        Cut with a curse sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul, damned is your life!

Comment

Not as easy to text and ride.
                          Just returned from the Dominican Republic, pretty common to see them
                          doing it though.

Comment

Working...
                          X