Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcyclist struck by lightening

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...7wq-story.html

Crazy! I was riding home one day and ran into a storm. The first lightning strike hit a tree just off the highway a couple of hundred feet away and I pooped a little in my pants. I got off the highway and waited the storm out. It was eye-opening for sure.

I lived in Florida most of my life and I am very comfortable with bad storms. But two places it freaks me a bit. On a boat and on a bike. No thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by justjoe View Post
      Crazy! I was riding home one day and ran into a storm. The first lightning strike hit a tree just off the highway a couple of hundred feet away and I pooped a little in my pants. I got off the highway and waited the storm out. It was eye-opening for sure.

I lived in Florida most of my life and I am very comfortable with bad storms. But two places it freaks me a bit. On a boat and on a bike. No thanks!
      We where hit by this cold front as we approached Jacksonville...all he$$ broke loose..

Comment

• FR4N
        FR4N commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome photo!!!

I know about that poopin in pants thing. A few years back MA and I were riding thru Blairsville in a storm when lightning hit and blew up a transformer just above us. Talk about ringing ears!😳

Comment

Originally posted by justjoe View Post
        . But two places it freaks me a bit. !
        Try being in the air. I have. One of those times when I have actually watched sweat from my forehead jump out in front of my face, not roll down.

Chattanooga, TN
        Certified Hooligan.
        2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

We've had the Shoei decal beat off my helmet and Susan's tinting damaged in a hail storm, missed a rain wrapped tornado in Shamrock Texas by mere minutes (we were in the same thunderstorm but didn't know about the tornado until we saw the evening news in our hotel. I literally followed the left tail light of a semi trailer we were passing for 1/2 mile when the wall of rain hit. i could NOT see the right tail light.), saw epic flooding in Texas, but we do not like lightning. We saw a bolt come across the entire valley in Arizona one afternoon through BLUE sky and strike the top of a mesa just a few miles away. The storm was way off behind us! There are so many times travelling when getting out of the danger zone just simply isn't an option. I do truly believe that if it's your time then it's your time and nothing you do will change that. I equally believe that if it's not your time someone will locate a helicopter and load you into it. To twist the Vulcan phrase a bit, May it not be anyone's time for quite a while.

Comment

Kinda puts a keebosh to “its hard to hit a moving target”!😳

Comment

• Pittsdriverwes
              Pittsdriverwes commented
              Editing a comment
              The old golf joke - if there's lightning around carry a one iron. Even God can't hit a one iron.

I used to think you were insulated by the rubber tires on a bike or the fiberglass hull in a boat.

Comment

I saw a picture of his helmet, holes in it. Bet his boots were the same. Going over Lolo pass in Idaho, huge storm, like night with wind and lightning. Paugcho was ahead and a bolt hit a tree across the river about 30 yards. Tree turned incandescent white and blew up. He was impressed. I've been out in open country in Montana lighting on one side not too close maybe half a mile but now realize pretty stupid. Just trying to move along and get out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by beech View Post
                I saw a picture of his helmet, holes in it. Bet his boots were the same. Going over Lolo pass in Idaho, huge storm, like night with wind and lightning. Paugcho was ahead and a bolt hit a tree across the river about 30 yards. Tree turned incandescent white and blew up. He was impressed. I've been out in open country in Montana lighting on one side not too close maybe half a mile but now realize pretty stupid. Just trying to move along and get out of there.
                I was gonna relate that exact story, but Beech got it. Classic!

One instant you're riding along, thinking, "Oh s**t, oh*s**t..." and the next you're checking in at the Pearly Gates. Or wherever. Worse ways to go, I guess.

Seeya
                ATB

Comment

Originally posted by K1DUDE View Post
                  I used to think you were insulated by the rubber tires on a bike or the fiberglass hull in a boat.

https://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/mag...ning-facts.asp
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Aa3jy; 06-19-2019, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X