It's A Small World After All

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's A Small World After All

I have been spending some time on a hammock forum called, oddly enough, Hammock Forum. It's very much like ours, only dedicated to hammock camping, backpacking, etc.

Much like our Ride Reports, they have Trip Reports where folks post up about backpacking or camping trips they've been on. A member posted his video of a trip he did to the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area in Montana recently. Wilderness Areas are managed by the Forest Service and are federal lands designated by Congress as a place where "earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain" (Wilderness Act of 1964). Congressionally designated wilderness areas are managed as places where natural biological processes are allowed to occur unhindered by human interference. These wilderness areas are located within our National Forests but unlike a NF or National Park, it can't be catered to or developed for tourism.

In '77, my dad, two brothers & the older brother's friend, Bob, drove from AL to Montana to backpack in the "Bob". I replied to the guy's thread, that they had been to the Bob & that I was not able to go & doing a trip there one day has been on my bucket list ever since. Later on, another member replied to the thread who commented he had grown up in AL & had gone on a trip to the Bob in the mid-70's & posted a few pics from his trip. When I read his post, I couldn't help but wonder if this guy could be my younger brother's friend. The last pic he posted, showed his backpack which looked a lot like the one in a group photo taken on my Dad's trip I've had hanging in my home office ever since he passed away. After studying both pics & convincing myself the packs were the same, I decided to PM the guy & it turns out it was/is my younger brother's buddy Bob who went on that trip! During that time he had worked at the company my dad ran when we lived in AL & had some very kind words about him & who considered him a mentor at that point in his career and how that particular backpacking trip was a life changing experience. Amazing.

He was kind enough to send me some pictures from that trip of my dad & brothers that neither my brother or I had ever seen before. Here are the two photos where I made the connection.

Click image for larger version  Name:	48339057847_9b4d9506b5_z.jpg Views:	1 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	9654
    This is the picture from his post...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dad, Doug, Todd & Friend Bob.jpg Views:	1 Size:	168.6 KB ID:	9655

And the photo I have had hanging in my home office & my dad had in his, until he passed in 2005. L-R is my baby brother Todd (RIP), Bob, my dad & younger brother, Doug. It was Bob's yellow pack I noticed in the photo he posted that's in the pic above.

It really is a small world after all!
    Last edited by McFly; 08-20-2019, 06:52 PM.

Wow Curt! Fantastic tale and coincidence!👍

Comment

That's cool you made the connection even thought the colors in his picture were enhanced and different.

Comment

That’s great! Trip Pak 4, eh? Those are pretty unique.
        I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

Comment

I love tales like this, and yes, It's a Small World After All.
          Matt
          Street: 2011 Ducati Multistrada S :: 2000 Honda VFR @ 39k :: 2002 BMW K1200RS @ 13k ... round 3
          Track: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750 :: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
          Dirt: Honda CRF450X
          IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.

Comment

Curt, that is so very cool. It seems like you have these connections from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by 955i View Post
              Curt, that is so very cool. It seems like you have these connections from time to time.
              I know! The other favorite "small world" story is with kenthegrass. He made a connection from some posts I put up when I first got on i-BMW. He & I were boyhood chums when we both lived in the same neighborhood in Greenville, SC during the mid-60's.

Comment

• MattB
                MattB commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn’t realize that... how cool!

• cabnfvr
                cabnfvr commented
                Editing a comment
                Wish Ken would come back to the site.

• MattB
                MattB commented
                Editing a comment
                Did we chaffe him or he just never moved over?

Didn’t know he was chaffed. If so, hope he gets over it!👍

Comment

Originally posted by Loggiebone View Post
                Didn’t know he was chaffed. If so, hope he gets over it!👍
                Me too, I like Ken, even if he does sell Harley's now.

Matt
                Street: 2011 Ducati Multistrada S :: 2000 Honda VFR @ 39k :: 2002 BMW K1200RS @ 13k ... round 3
                Track: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750 :: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
                Dirt: Honda CRF450X
                IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.

Comment

Working...
                X