July 6th at Autobahn in Joliet, IL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July 6th at Autobahn in Joliet, IL

Signed up for the second trackday of the year... Trying not to suck! That's going to be my motto this year.

I think it's all finally coming together for me. I'm getting comfortable on the bike. Sharp precise turn in and comfortable leaning deeper.

I enjoy going to the track because it is a fun challenge. It exposes your weakness and tests your abilities in a "safer" environment.

I'm still riding the Gixxer. Stock engine with cat eliminated and custom midpipe and a shorty exhaust, flashed ecu, no TC, no ABS, no electronic suspension, but gas charged forks and Penske rear shock. I really put in effort to lighten the bike the last year and I am seeing 360# with a small bit of gas left in the tank. I even wasted money on Ti hardware replacing the larger suspension and rearset bolts and aluminum stuff for the non load bearing stuff.

I purchased an aprilia sxv550 this year converted to a road racer. It's a real lightweight and I will be bringing it along later in the year when I finish it. 280#'s and 80hp. It's a little firecracker!

Here is a stock photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	6866

This is what it looked like when I bought it.

Name:	
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	6867
    Last edited by JCW; 06-23-2019, 07:50 PM.

JC:

I will be really interested to read what you think about the Aprilia. It looks like it will be a great track bike.
    Last edited by BruceV; 06-25-2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Wow - whodathunkit an Enduro reconfigured for Track Days - hats off to you!
      '11 BMW K1300S - Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler, OEM Centerstand, Grip Puppies, OEM Rear Rack, OEM Bags, Three Vent Holes in Filler Neck, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Kickstand Foot, Ilmburger Rear Hugger, Throttle Meister, Stebel Horn, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Corbin Seat, Z-Technik Smoke Windscreen, R&G Frame Sliders

Comment

Originally posted by JCW View Post
        Signed up for the second trackday of the year... Trying not to suck! That's going to be my motto this year.

I think it's all finally coming together for me. I'm getting comfortable on the bike. Sharp precise turn in and comfortable leaning deeper.

I enjoy going to the track because it is a fun challenge. It exposes your weakness and tests your abilities in a "safer" environment.

I'm still riding the Gixxer. Stock engine with cat eliminated and custom midpipe and a shorty exhaust, flashed ecu, no TC, no ABS, no electronic suspension, but gas charged forks and Penske rear shock. I really put in effort to lighten the bike the last year and I am seeing 360# with a small bit of gas left in the tank. I even wasted money on Ti hardware replacing the larger suspension and rearset bolts and aluminum stuff for the non load bearing stuff.

I purchased an aprilia sxv550 this year converted to a road racer. It's a real lightweight and I will be bringing it along later in the year when I finish it. 280#'s and 80hp. It's a little firecracker!

Here is a stock photo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	119.1 KB ID:	6866

This is what it looked like when I bought it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	6867
        JC:

Do you have pictures of the build?

Comment

Not of the previous one. It sounds like it was put together from a kit offered for these bikes to compete in road racing events in europe or england specifically.
          http://www.450gp.com/EN/index.html
          This bike belonged to a Aprilia AMA 250gp race champion Chuck Sorensen. He imported the kit to build a lightweight bike to compete locally in some AMA events.
          Sounds like the engine was too fragile and overheated a couple times. There are geometry and gearing issues as well that limit the use in full on racing. But for little ol' me, it should work just fine.
          Here's an internet blurb about the bike...
          https://www.bike-urious.com/beon-gp-...50-road-racer/

It has changed hands once. The new, previous owner lowsided on cold dunlop slicks and sounded like he just parked it for a year. I picked it up and IMHO, it was really rough around the edges.
          fairings were damaged, seat position was too angled and put too much pressure on my wrists and the tank was too short forcing me too close to the bars. The starter was going out when I got it and finally failed. The flywheel/timing rotor woodruff key broke off. I needed a flywheel puller and new key to replace that. with the race gearing, the chain rubs something awful on the swingarm and goes through chain guides every weekend reportedly. So I went with a larger front sprocket that required some relieving of the swingarm to fit. LOL. So, a lot of work is being done. I can see why the bike was built, 280#'s and 80hp is an awesome combination. but I see why it has changed hands twice as well, now...

In europe they have these RRV450 conversions that race in a series back in the early 2010's. they are beautiful...

Name:	
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	7014
          Last edited by JCW; 06-25-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

My first priority is to make it road legal so I can familiarize myself with the bike. I just don't have the resources and time to get to trackdays as much as I would like.
            I got my title and mounted a Vrod headlight I had lying around from previous build. I fabbed a taillight/license plate bracket as well and I snuck it out for a couple shake down runs.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	285.4 KB ID:	7021

Currently it is being prepped for a new subframe and seat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	141.6 KB ID:	7022

My goal is a dual purpose bike where I can put on my RS125 upper I bought for the track but also have the headlight if I want to ride on the street.
            Track form...

Attached Files
            Last edited by JCW; 06-25-2019, 11:13 AM.

Comment

It's 90 deg with a real feel temp (accuweather) of 103deg.
              Good news is ive found my 90 percent pace early on. Its that sweet spot where you give yourself just a half second rest before breaking hard for a corner. or a hair later or smoother on the throttle.

if I need to kicked it up a little to pass, i can.
              letting the fast guys pass you then hanging on for half a lap is fun.

this heat though...

Comment

It's 90 deg with a real feel temp (accuweather) of 103deg.
                Good news is ive found my 90 percent pace early on. Its that sweet spot where you give yourself just a half second rest before breaking hard for a corner. or a hair later or smoother on the throttle.

if I need to kicked it up a little to pass, i can.
                letting the fast guys pass you then hanging on for half a lap is fun.

this heat though...
                Any video or pics? You young guys can ride close to the edge I can't do it these days - If I'm at 8/10 of what I think is my limit that is pushing it for me.

Comment

Nothing exciting pic wise, I'll put something up.

As far as video, I think I finally feel comfortable on the bike enough to record some stuff. To be honest, it hasn't been until recently I feel like I'm controlling the bike instead of being just along for the ride and making suggestions on where it should go. I didn't even bring my lap timer because I didn't want to spend time troubleshooting it.

I would like to wait until I get an action camera with some decent image stabilization, too. Some of the vids with the GoPro black are amazingly smooth.

One thing though, Bruce, is that I either seriously was off on my tire pressures or had a major suspension/geometry setup issue because I dug a shallow ditch in an almost brand new supercorsa SP rear in one day. And this is with a mostly stock 750 powerwise. Not that I was so fast on it, but somehow it's probably set up wrong.

My rear was 26 psi in the morning off the trailer and 30psi coming off the track. Maybe 2-3 mins before I got back to the pits and off the bike and the tire pressure measured. I didn't think at that time it was too bad.

Earlier in the day, the tear was on/off around the circumference of the tire. making me think it was a suspension issue. But I thought, I'm so slow and guys and a gal was passing me, what do I have to worry about tire wear. The rest of the day I was working on getting on the throttle earlier to keep up with the fast guys coming off a long right hander onto the straight. By the end of the day, I was surprised I've almost ruin this tire.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	186.2 KB ID:	7813
                  Last edited by JCW; 07-07-2019, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Here's the bike... Yeah, I'm too lazy to paint it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	239.7 KB ID:	7816

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	174.6 KB ID:	7815

The day was definitely not as crowded as the first trackday of the year on memorial day.

Comment

Nothing exciting pic wise, I'll put something up.

As far as video, I think I finally feel comfortable on the bike enough to record some stuff. To be honest, it hasn't been until recently I feel like I'm controlling the bike instead of being just along for the ride and making suggestions on where it should go. I didn't even bring my lap timer because I didn't want to spend time troubleshooting it.

I would like to wait until I get an action camera with some decent image stabilization, too. Some of the vids with the GoPro black are amazingly smooth.

One thing though, Bruce, is that I either seriously was off on my tire pressures or had a major suspension/geometry setup issue because I dug a shallow ditch in an almost brand new supercorsa SP rear in one day. And this is with a mostly stock 750 powerwise. Not that I was so fast on it, but somehow it's probably set up wrong.

My rear was 26 psi in the morning off the trailer and 30psi coming off the track. Maybe 2-3 mins before I got back to the pits and off the bike and the tire pressure measured. I didn't think at that time it was too bad.

Earlier in the day, the tear was on/off around the circumference of the tire. making me think it was a suspension issue. But I thought, I'm so slow and guys and a gal was passing me, what do I have to worry about tire wear. The rest of the day I was working on getting on the throttle earlier to keep up with the fast guys coming off a long right hander onto the straight. By the end of the day, I was surprised I've almost ruin this tire.

Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	186.2 KB ID:	7813
                      A few things in regard to your tire - Pirelli depending on the track - a track with good grip you could run it @ 30 psi - it should have cleaned the tire up - I think you were late on the throttle coming out of the corners - and when you stand it up you get hard on the throttle because you are a little late trying to make up time. Have to be careful of course too early on the throttle and bad things will happen. I doubt your suspension was the cause.

Comment

JCW,

I really wish that I had your fabrication skills. Great work and keep us updated on that little racer as it goes on track.
                        Matt
                        Street: 2000 Honda VFR @ 39k :: 2002 BMW K1200RS @ 49k ... round 2 - Welcome Back to a Long Lost Friend
                        Track: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750 :: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
                        Dirt: Honda CRF450X
                        IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.

Comment

Bruce, I noticed that, too. And I consciously tried to throttle on earlier! That said, the gsxr is a dinosaur with no TC, ABS, IMU, or other electronic nanny, so I am extra careful on the throttle until I reduce my lean a little. I could be better, though for sure.
                          Still, i dont how this should happen on a 750 with maybe 120hp.
                          my pressure off track was 30 psi. did you mean cold pressure at 30? i had the feeling from looking around at Dave Moss stuff that this was a cold tear. in fact, i even downloaded some of his tire reading videos and i almost exactly match what he calls a geometry cold tear. He says very common with people slapping larger rear tires on and pitching the chassis foward.
                          This immediately rang true to me, because im running a larger 180/60 but also a longer rear shock AND shim to correct the swingarm angle.
                          I apparently have gone too far.
                          Last edited by JCW; 07-08-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Bruce, I noticed that, too. And I consciously tried to throttle on earlier! That said, the gsxr is a dinosaur with no TC, ABS, IMU, or other electronic nanny, so I am extra careful on the throttle until I reduce my lean a little. I could be better, though for sure.
                            Still, i dont how this should happen on a 750 with maybe 120hp.
                            my pressure off track was 30 psi. did you mean cold pressure at 30? i had the feeling from looking around at Dave Moss stuff that this was a cold tear. in fact, i even downloaded some of his tire reading videos and i almost exactly match what he calls a geometry cold tear. He says very common with people slapping larger rear tires on and pitching the chassis foward.
                            This immediately rang true to me, because im running a larger 180/60 but also a longer rear shock AND shim to correct the swingarm angle.
                            I apparently have gone too far.
                            30 cold in my opinion is too high - that would possibly get the tire up to 34 when hot and I think you would have grip issues. Now reading what you have done to the bike - certainly that plays into it - but I think until you get to another track and see what happens - I would try carefully getting on the throttle sooner coming out of corners. The reason I say another track - I go to a track that is relatively short - counter clockwise direction - and I have this issue - not as bad as you but very similar.

I know I'm late on the throttle - and because of that I hammer it to make up for lost time - and I do raise pressure to help clean up the tire - you could go 1 or 2 psi higher but again be very mindful of grip.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I thought, too when I read your post. You couldn't have meant 30psi cold.
                              I was 26psi cold, 30.5 psi hot off the track (with maybe a 2-3 minute delay in measuring rolling back to the pits). I had the tire guy check my tire gauge in the morning and I was like 1/2 psi off his.

I agree I must be ham fisting it once on the fat part of the tire. But I did consciously think about rolling on early. Usually depending on the corner I'm on just before apex. Learning though that every corner is different and some I try to trail in deep and get to the corner faster. Some, I roll on throttle early to get the best drive.

I like talking track stuff. I should have talked to the tire guy trackside. The usual suspension tuner was not scheduled this weekend. The amount of stuff in Dave Moss' videos in reading tires is mind boggling. I spent the couple nights going through some of the videos after I ponied up $8 for a monthly subscription.

To others, if your mind likes to work like mine and want to know the why of things (maybe to my detriment at times) the videos are definitely worth a look.
                              Dave moss tuning.

Another great resource for the "self learners" (and these are FREE) about the technical side of riding track are Ken Hill Racing's podcasts. A ton of great stuff that you sometimes don't even process your first, second or third time.
                              Last edited by JCW; 07-09-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X