Ozark Roads with Curves of 180 Degrees or More

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ozark Roads with Curves of 180 Degrees or More

Are there roads at the AHR that have curves of 180 degrees or more? For several years bonfire discussions have included discussions about the day's rides. Numerous times this question has arisen. Although it seems unlikely that a long curve would make the road double-back on itself, it is plausible that terrain could make that the most practical way around a geographic feature, especially where a river or creek goes around a mountain.

Certainly, from the rider's point of view, some of these curves seem like they do double-back on themselves. You set the bike up for the curve, get in the groove, and just stay there for what seems like forever waiting for an apex. Even discounting the rider's subjective impression, it seems true enough that some of these curves do, in fact, change direction more than 180 degrees.

A cursory examination of Google maps or MapQuest, shows the answer is "no." The curviest sections of Push Mountain even look tame when viewed on a map.

Do any of you guys have ideas about nominations for a large radius continuous curve? There is one, or maybe two, that are pretty good ones between Big Flat and Harriet on 123. A couple of more (besides Lee's favorite switchbacks) on the way to Oark. Any thoughts?

What about others from the non-Invitational or the California rides?

Here's a few that get close.

Near Cass.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (50).png
Views:	1
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	26256

Name:	Screenshot (51).png
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	26257

Near Ponca

Name:	Screenshot (52).png
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	26258

The road up to Mt Nebo State Park

Name:	Screenshot (53).png
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	26259
    Lee
    Iowa
    2016 R1200RS

Comment

Tyson, here is the "curve" that you seek, make your way to North Carolina young man. Feels like you are leaned over for half a mile. NCBike racetrack, Garysburg, NC.
      Matt
      Street: 2011 Ducati Multistrada S :: 2000 Honda VFR @ 39k :: 2002 BMW K1200RS @ 13k ... round 3
      Track: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750 :: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
      Dirt: Honda CRF450X
      IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.

Comment

Tyson,
        There are a few turns that get close to 180º in Arkansas. 123 on the east side of 7 has some real tight switchbacks. We have multiple turns here in western NC that will get a car steering wheel completely upside down. I also know of two 180º turns that we've done but the "winner" is a local road that switches back on itself several times. Hopefully this pic will give you an idea of the road. (Sure wish I'd kept that Duc. I doubt I could ride it now but it sure was purty.)
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Duc on 9.JPG Views:	1 Size:	291.5 KB ID:	26268
        Last edited by cabnfvr; 11-02-2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• 955i
          955i commented
          Editing a comment
          ". . . sure was purty."

I see you kept the pillion. Also sure purty!

Tim and Matt. Thanks for the posts.

Tim those two on the Cass-Oark Road are ones I remember. I kind of looked for them casually. The curve near Ponca is the one at the top of that little switchback section that is so tight. I've seldom made time up that section - going down it seems like it is always foggy - going up we end up behind an RV or a pick-up hauling a trailer full of firewood. Probably just as well !

Matt, that track looks like a lot of fun. That curve in the middle is definitely more than 180.

Comment

Here's one on 74 just outside of Jasper.

Name:	9953B830-B44E-4F72-994D-5F1BA7BF2C72.jpeg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	26280
          "Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

Comment

• 955i
            955i commented
            Editing a comment
            McFly, I've almost messed this corner up at 20 mph!!
        Working...
        X