BRPR - the wrassler's paradise!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BRPR - the wrassler's paradise!

I guess I will be the first to jump into the arena and post my ride report on the 2019 Blue Ridge Parkway Rally. This rally was my first of the year and I really needed the break from work and all of that nonsense. It's been so crazy that I had 48 hours of work logged from Sunday to Wednesday, so this trip was managed without taking any paid time off. More vacation later in the year!!

I spooned on some Stinko's that Eric and BillG have been raving about. Because of my hectic schedule I didn't have time to scrub them in so really didn't know how they were going to perform. That would be remedied lickity split since the plan was for Ken and me to meet Curt and Gary on the BRP. More on that later.

Locked and loaded!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	6922962C-1885-4908-8D39-00C17D5E545B_zpspvrubeq6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.2 KB ID:	5035

Ken had graciously offered up breakfast and I gladly accepted. I rode the 50 or so miles to his house in beautiful temps, if not just a tad bit chilly. The sun was out though and that was enough for me.

Some bridge work on TN92 over Douglas Lake
    Click image for larger version  Name:	EDA5EB3B-A461-41E3-A145-63BDFD85AFD8_zpswsk4xwec.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.1 KB ID:	5037

Some of the wide open space around Ken's place. Mountains looming large in the background.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	61DAA2E7-900C-440A-AC12-86932B8FCE0C_zpsrvscoc7v.jpg Views:	1 Size:	146.9 KB ID:	5036

Ken and his lovely bride, Her Majesty P Jiggy, Queen of the MF'ers, were waiting on my arrival and breakfast was served! Thanks so much, Ken for the wonderful hospitality. No pictures were taken to protect the innocent (meaning you folks).

Now the fun really started. Fancy Gap was the destination for our rendezvous with Curt and Gary. We had been texting back and forth with Curt and they were running a bit late due to late arrival in Maggie Valley the night before. I am definitely looking forward to his ride report because they did a hell of a trip.

The route Ken and I took to Fancy Gap was created on the fly. It was changed en route a few times which made for some interesting missed turns. At one point we traveled south by many miles just to realize we missed a turn. But, in true adventure fashion, we adjusted the route and kept on pressing. Instead of hitting the BRP at Fancy Gap, we jumped on at the Linville access point and proceded to tear it up a bit. I had texted Curt our changes in arrival time to find out they were also off a bit. Not a problem, we were on the BRP!

Finding shade for a safety meeting
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0217F639-9A04-49DD-9AC5-64689C3F50AB_zpso7hvp8nw.jpg Views:	1 Size:	106.8 KB ID:	5038

Click image for larger version  Name:	AEE56E37-52BA-4F84-97F9-8E70AA9B03EF_zpslvaysb4b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	136.8 KB ID:	5039

The BRP parkway is amazing, and so are the vistas. What a great resource we have here on the East coast of the US and I'm glad the government set aside this land for such an awesome park.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	C48750AD-8C38-4CFC-9767-7D5915DF9272_zpsycnwtpaz.jpg Views:	1 Size:	252.6 KB ID:	5040

We didn't have the opportunity to meet up with Curt and Gary. Their schedule was off and ours was off a bit. Sometimes these things happen so I dropped a text saying we would meet up at the hotel. Lunch was fantastic there in Fancy Gap so there was some consolation.

We finally arrived at the Wattstull, a great venue for this rally. We've been there for several years now and they don't seem to have problems with us for the most part. And they now have a restaurant that is pretty decent and serves liquor. I had a wrap one night, fish another and chicken salad the last night there. I'd definitely say this was an upgrade over previous years.

The Wattstull Inn
    Click image for larger version  Name:	828316A3-49BC-4E29-A5BA-8AAC77180439_zps7qmlpv3c.jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	5041

Friday we woke up with the weather looking kind of crummy. The weatherman said it was going to rain until noon then clear up for the rest of the day. That was fortunate for me because I could use a bit more recovery time from the night before. It did give me a chance to take some pictures of bikes, of the smoke coming off the mountains and generally get my head straight. While a little frustrating, the weather did clear about 10 am and I think we were on the road by 10:30.

Click image for larger version  Name:	724F8E4C-2168-4185-B974-5E42D3F38BAA_zpsebssmpqq.png Views:	1 Size:	646.9 KB ID:	5042

Click image for larger version  Name:	B0A8CFC1-874A-4B19-A50B-2669CD3D9AE8_zpsyuwig82v.jpg Views:	1 Size:	131.1 KB ID:	5043

Click image for larger version  Name:	FBAB7DA7-C9CE-4003-9B51-422CEF7EE71C_zpsq3vfpl8d.jpg Views:	1 Size:	169.7 KB ID:	5044

Click image for larger version  Name:	DAB1275C-6441-4D43-880B-7518B94DD0A7_zpsg3e3thsb.jpg Views:	1 Size:	123.1 KB ID:	5045

The mission for Friday was to hit the BRP, go north to some exit then jump off for lunch at Devils Backbone Brewery. The ride began with Ken, JimmyZ, Wes, Tim Buyse, THE Eddie Layton and myself. This was the first of two GPS episodes that were a little shaky for KentheMF'ingGrass. More on that later. Needless to say, the GPS dropped me off the BRP early and we had to deal with less than stellar roads. Not bad mind you, but not 30 miles of BRP. Once we arrived at DB Brewery lunch was great and so was the liquid refreshments.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C41F51A7-04D3-46FF-B050-5A7CF2B1DC9B_zps4xyiepai.jpg Views:	1 Size:	87.1 KB ID:	5046

After lunch, Eddie needed fuel and Jimmy went with him in search of fuel. Unfortunately, they headed off in the wrong direction which took them both away from the BRP and the closest fuel. We got a call saying it was going to take longer than expected and we should just move out, meeting them back at the hotel. So off we go to take another run at the BRP, more specifically on the area that I had missed when the GPS persuaded me to leave it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F3555C0A-ED65-4FDA-BB5E-5E786784A4EE_zpsbnt3iwcl.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.8 KB ID:	5047

We met back up with Eddie and JimmyZ at this spot while we were stopped for a break. Back together again we headed back to the hotel and the end of the day.

Last edited by justjoe; 05-20-2019, 10:05 AM.

I woke up early on Saturday morning after have a good nights sleep. The sun was shining and the birds were singing, except for this little guy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	9DD0C4CF-2401-4A1B-AD06-F8DD73063AC7_zpsrc9nhkdd.jpg Views:	1 Size:	156.5 KB ID:	5051

I had gotten a cup of coffee and sat down to enjoy the morning when I look up and see this little guy staring at me. He was young, perhaps still not fledged completely. He just sat there staring at me and I stared at him. It was actually pretty cool and a great omen for the day to come. All things fresh and wonderful in the world.

The rest of the morning consisted of waiting around on folks to wake up and get moving. And then waiting around on one person, to remain nameless but he lives in King George, which may indicate his name as well. But anyway, after fiddling around with electronics, gas, grab ass, and a punctured tire, it was time to move out. The route would be simple going 43, US220, 39 to Marlinton for lunch. Seemed like a good plan, until...

So we are clipping along and I realize that I haven't run ReLive yet. So I blast past, create some space and stop to load ReLive. Unfortunately, I messed it up a bit. This is what was created though. Sorry for some of the duplicate pictures in this thread and ReLive. https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10005255566

Onto the second GPS/GSA issue I mentioned earlier. We had got out in front of George who was leading. Ken took us towards US220 and at one point it joins up with Interstate 64. My GPS is screaming at me to go another way and I remember that Bill Morgan and I had been on that road several years prior. I pull the group over and state, CLEARLY state, my GPS is taking another route and I think it's a good one. Ken hesitantly decides to follow and so I lead Ken on his KS and JimmyZ on his GS up and over the mountains on a goat path. No lane stripping, the road is falling away in places, off camber, switchbacks, everything the GS loves! I put the GSA in Enduro mode with soft suspension and dirtbike it up the hill throwing the bike into the corners leg out. It was awesome.

With our little detour, George and his wife had gotten in front of us. As I am cresting the top I see them up ahead and put some effort into catching them. Then I raced past and down about 2 miles to the end of the road where we picked up US220 again. What I missed was a fork in the road. I chatted with George for a minute and headed back to find Ken as he was settling back down after his safety stop. When I put my GSA into enduro mode, I knew it was going to be hell for the KS and was thankful for the short wheelbase and long suspension travel on the GSA. And for the crash bars because at the low speeds you had to take the switchbacks it would have protected my bike completely. Ken, not so much. I might have been called more than an MF'er at that point. He stated unequivocally that he would never follow a GS with a GPS again.

US220 and the goat path road
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A5FF44A7-8F56-4C82-8D9C-458CD1E6B7C5_zpsnzw6jrfc.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	5052

Click image for larger version  Name:	817A1AE8-F79F-4E93-AAB3-C9B47F3AD545_zpss7u1bolx.jpg Views:	1 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	5053

For the rest of the trip into Marlinton, the three of us swap leads a few times. It was a fast, fun ride the rest of the way, with 39 being a spectacular road.

Lunch was had with groups of riders coming in before and after us. When we started packing up to go Lefty comes over and says that there is a bag of handguns for sale in this little shop across from where we parked. Always being in the market for new pistols (I'd like to get an S&W J frame .357) I shoot over to check out what he has. Sure enough, a bag full of pistols. Well, it was really rolling luggage but whatever. They were nice but way too pricey and nothing in .357, just .38. I did get a picture of them though.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9551CA61-23AF-4BAC-A5AA-F7DF86744D3A_zps1okmvln2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	78.7 KB ID:	5054

We started discussing where to go and I was stuck on running 42, Ken and Jimmy wanted to go back to the gorge on 39 near Goshen. I figured I would run with them until the gorge and decide at that point whether to turn around and go back to 42 or continue on with them. Well, their option was the BRP and that pretty much settled it. WTF was I thinking about going to another subpar road compared to the BRP. So we headed up, changing leads and blistering pavement as we got on it. Once again rewarded with fantastic vistas!

Stopped at the Gorge on 39 with these two MF'ers!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CFB96094-8A67-4F1D-BA17-71C9AC6F026E_zpsrpwzc6pv.jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.6 KB ID:	5058

Click image for larger version  Name:	C3B6FD6C-ADBE-4748-9083-5C8CFCF1B77F_zpsbuxa68lv.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	5055

At this stop, I was really thirsty. The temps had climbed up to 85°F in the lower elevations and we had been riding for a while. I offered up stopping at Peaks of Otter for a beer, with Ken accepting and Jimmy deciding to head back to the hotel a few miles past POO.

Jimmy showing Ken some loving!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	61E96A51-FBCB-4D30-BA56-8AF3DCB310EC_zpszjti4tr6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	5059

Ken showing me some loving in the form of a witbier.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2113AD5C-45C1-4839-9939-64599A2A1D44_zpsigru5adu.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.6 KB ID:	5056

And that beer was picked up by the generosity of KentheMF'ingGrass!

After a refreshing beverage, we finally got back to the hotel to continue the revelry. And it was at this point that I was viciously and savagely attacked by a friggin' jealous girlfriend. Apparently, she was upset that Curt was back in the scene and vying for my attention again. I do have to say that I am sorry for the whole episode, it was something that I started in Arkansas a few years back. And while violent confrontation is upsetting to some, my homey and I ended up talking about kids, life and good times. It did make for a late night though.

Sunday morning rolls around and I am up early again. Wes gets up for the morning business and I decided to get a move on. Most of my gear was packed from the night before so I loaded the bike and gave Ken a ring. We got out just before 7 am for our ride home. I got home around 11 am and cooked lunch for my family, unpacked, started laundry and took a nap curled up with my honey.

I've said it before. Life is good and riding with these MF'ers is proof positive that I live a good life. It was great seeing everyone and I am looking forward to Kentucky, the DGR and my first track day, and then followed up with Arkansas. Maybe my love life will smooth out and I won't have the baby mama drama hanging over me!!
    Last edited by justjoe; 05-20-2019, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Cool Joe. Keep em coming.
      Chattanooga, TN
      Certified Hooligan.
      2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

Nice work Bubba!👍

Comment

Thanks for the report and pics Joe.
          Lee
          Iowa
          2016 R1200RS

Comment

I had a GREAT time this year...Here's a few pics of our Fri & Sat groups at lunch, on RT250 & the waterfall on RT220.

Comment

Originally posted by BillGsa View Post
              I had a GREAT time this year...Here's a few pics of our Fri & Sat groups at lunch, on RT250 & the waterfall on RT220.
              Seeing the picture of A-B Normal (Abby) reminds me of people's frustrations with the younger generation and how the world is going to hell. Abby is a phenomenal person, wonderful to be around and if you take the time to have a conversation with her you'd know that this kid has it going on. Yes, there are some kids who are eating tide pods and wearing vagina hats, but I find the vast majority of the kids I meet (my daughter, her friends and kids like Abby) to be extraordinary and my hopes for the future are high because of them.
              Last edited by justjoe; 05-20-2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• Capnrip
                Capnrip commented
                Editing a comment
                Abby is obviously a beautiful young lady but I was impressed with how at ease she was with all of us. She wasn't above busting on someone or pretending to shut the door in their face, really seemed comfortable with all of us idiots. Agree with Joe's comments above. We were that generation once a long, long, long time ago.

• justjoe
                justjoe commented
                Editing a comment
                Look at her father? If you had to live with that meatball, you could handle just about any of us!

Gotta step in and shout out a Thank You to all, new and old who got out to BRPR 2019, what a great time, what a great turnout, and a very timely event for me as well. It was so nice getting to meet new friends, catch up with existing friends, rasslin' my friend Joe, and hanging out with Awesome Abby for a few days.

A bit about that (rasslin'), a quick "sorry" to all there who were NOT involved. Joe and I are all good (both before and after), what started (and was intended) as a simple playful "hand-fighting" competition took on an entirely different look to many when we ended up on the ground. While 20+ years removed from NCAA competition, the wrassler still resides deep within. Such "games" are standard fare at my house, and such games are somewhat standard fare when I mess around with my friend JJ. That said, for those observing who do not know the depth of our friendship, I understand how my actions could be construed as an act of violence of which it ABSOLUTELY was NOT. Joe and I are good, and I have reflected and realized that my antics were not appropriate in this particular case for a variety of reasons, so apologies for anyone who felt uneasy witnessing the shenanigans.

The weather was fantastic, and outside Pennsylvania trying to hold us hostage on the escape (HUGE traffic delays) and then welcoming us back with a "little bit" of rain (fawking Pennsylvania), it was an amazing time and I can't wait to do it again at DGR/MV/Non-Invitational/Trackday/DirtyBike Day/Street Assault in the fall... THANKS ALL!
              Last edited by MattB; 05-20-2019, 03:16 PM.
              Matt
              Street: 2000 Honda VFR @ 39k :: 2002 BMW K1200RS @ 49k ... round 2 - Welcome Back to a Long Lost Friend
              Track: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750 :: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
              Dirt: Honda CRF450X
              IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.

Comment

• justjoe
                justjoe commented
                Editing a comment
                I should have bit you!!

• MattB
                MattB commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, you know how I love it when you bite me.

Looks like you all had a great time! I'm very jealous that I couldn't attend this year but next year I'll have no excuse since all the kids are or will be graduated from college. Glad everyone traveled safely and fun was had by all

Comment

Thanks Joe.... is Ken pissin' on your rear wheel?
                fetch

Comment

Originally posted by 802Mike View Post
                  Thanks Joe.... is Ken pissin' on your rear wheel?
                  fetch
                  Only to cool that bad boy down! I will have to say though Mike, the Stinko is an impressive tire. The tread design gives it some wobble on the street and I haven't taken it off road yet, but it performs as highly as the TKC70's up to this point. I bet it's better than the 70's in gravel.

Comment

Originally posted by justjoe View Post
                    the Stinko is an impressive tire.
                    I will verify that BillG certainly runs them hard.

AND, I'll concede to the GS crowd here, I told Bill yesterday the same thing that I told EricM a few years ago... he rides the GSA better than any other bike that I've ever seen him on IMO. Certainly these two guys make a strong case for the handling capabilities of the Ugly Ass (butt well handling) GS.

Matt
                    Street: 2000 Honda VFR @ 39k :: 2002 BMW K1200RS @ 49k ... round 2 - Welcome Back to a Long Lost Friend
                    Track: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750 :: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
                    Dirt: Honda CRF450X
                    IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                      I will verify that BillG certainly runs them hard.

AND, I'll concede to the GS crowd here, I told Bill yesterday the same thing that I told EricM a few years ago... he rides the GSA better than any other bike that I've ever seen him on IMO. Certainly these two guys make a strong case for the handling capabilities of the Ugly Ass (butt well handling) GS.
                      Thanks Matt

The checks in the mail
                      Last edited by BillGsa; 05-20-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BillGsa View Post

Thanks Matt...The checks in the mail
                        Did you get a picture of Matt struggling to keep up like EricM has floating around? Asking for a friend!

Comment

So if I put a set of Stinkos on my GS I'll be able to ride like Bill? That's something to which I aspire.

Comment

Working...
                          X