THCR April 2020

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THCR April 2020

We did not have a THCR (Texas Hill Country Roundup) this year so I'm starting this thread (waaay early) to see who wants to do the THCR in April 2020? Easter is Sunday April 12th so that week/weekend is probably off the list. What dates would y'all want?

We've stayed at the River Inn in Hunt, Texas past years but THCR 2018 was held at the River Front Motel in Bandera, TX. It seemed like a pretty good location as you didn't have to plan ahead for food and drinks like at the River Inn. There are a handful of restaurants and bars within a short walk from the motel. There are 11 cabins that have two or three beds so sharing cabins cuts down the cost significantly as long as you're brave enough to risk experiencing Joe's "Rag-o-love" (you won't remember anything anyway so who cares ). The last day we were able to barbecue on the on-site grills. Everyone enjoyed my sweet meat...

SO, what dates and who's in for some great Texas hill country riding?

Bandera Texas, Riverfront, river front hotel, river front motel, Bandera hotels, Bandera place to stay, Bandera guest house, bandera rentals, Bandera guest house. river front motel bandera hotel, motel, rentals, reservations, cabins, guest houses.
    Last edited by stxman4; 06-11-2019, 02:33 PM.

I created a channel for the THCR!

Comment

If it happens we're going to Terlingua for a pre, either at the motel beside the filling station or Chisos Mining. If River Inn is available that was a good spot too. Wherever, we're in.

Comment

p.s. Re: Easter Sunday April 12th -- I vote for April 15-18 (Arrive Wed, leaving Sat morning to head back home.).

Comment

Originally posted by cabnfvr View Post
          Chisos Mining.
          Really?
          That place was a little rough around the edges.
          El Dorado was ok and you had a couple options for eating within walking distance.
          Lee
          Iowa
          2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

• Susan
            Susan commented
            Editing a comment
            Define "rough around the edges" as one who has stayed at The Gordon. :-) Chisos looks to have been updated but sometimes web pictures and seeing it in person can tell a different story.

Originally posted by Lee View Post

Really?
          That place was a little rough around the edges.
          El Dorado was ok and you had a couple options for eating within walking distance.
          Depends on whether you want to experience the desert or just a motel. Don (Arizona kid) walked past us at Chisos Mining and Susan asked him where he was going. "To see if I can upgrade my light bulb to a 40 watt." was his reply.

Comment

Ahh, the Chisos Mining motel. It is right there with the Gordon in quaint, dilapidated charm. I remember pulling in, popping my lid, grabbing a beer and watching the birds pick bugs off my front fairings. You can't pay for that kind of entertainment just anywhere! And is the pink school bus restaurant still there?

Click image for larger version

Name:	THCR2010KosmicKowgirl.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	6540
            Last edited by justjoe; 06-18-2019, 08:16 AM.

Comment

It sounds like Kathy's is closed down.
              ain't skeered

Comment

Kathy's is indeed no more and was gone when Tim, Steve Gary & I stayed at the Chisos Mining Co. back in 2017. We were pleasantly surprised that the rooms (or at least the room we were in) was updated and waaaaaay better than the time we stayed there before (in 2010?). I personally prefer the El Dorado.

As for the THCR, yes, I'm in and Bandera was a good location & the River Front Motel was ideal, IMO.
                Last edited by McFly; 06-18-2019, 01:25 PM.
                "Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

Comment

Originally posted by McFly View Post
                  Kathy's is indeed no more and was gone when Tim, Steve Gary & I stayed at the Chisos Mining Co. back in 2017. We were pleasantly surprised that the rooms (or at least the room we were in) was updated and waaaaaay better than the time we stayed there before (in 2010?). I personally prefer the El Dorado.

Looking back at pictures it looks like we stayed in Study Butte next to the gas station in 2007 and maybe 2006.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Picture 032.jpg Views:	1 Size:	161.1 KB ID:	6566

Click image for larger version  Name:	Picture 034.jpg Views:	1 Size:	246.6 KB ID:	6567
                  The only picture I have of Chisos Mining 2008 is in the parking lot.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0053.jpg Views:	1 Size:	160.3 KB ID:	6568
                  2010 we were at the El Dorado in Terlingua.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0108.jpg Views:	1 Size:	166.6 KB ID:	6569
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0119.jpg Views:	1 Size:	157.6 KB ID:	6570
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0129.jpg Views:	1 Size:	120.5 KB ID:	6571

Here's a 2012 pic at the El Dorado.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	6572
                  Last edited by Lee; 06-18-2019, 09:51 PM.
                  Lee
                  Iowa
                  2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

Yep, that pic of James when he forgot to pack his 'walking around' shoes, he only had his boots. If we can get the 2020 dates, then we can settle on a spot for the Pre.
                    ain't skeered

Comment

I will scratch some time aside this year. Had a new grandbaby last year at exactly the wrong time for the THCR. Bandera looks great.

Comment

Working...
                      X