Back of the Dragon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back of the Dragon

Been to the ‘Tail of Dragon’ numerous time..who can give a review on the ‘Back of the Dragon‘.

https://www.backofthedragon.com/

I would definitely recommend it, ridden it quite a few times with members here.
    Here's a video from the 2015 BRP

https://youtu.be/CMNmiLASh0U

EDIT: I just watched the video...I gotta get back there 😎
    Last edited by BillGsa; 6 days ago.

Comment

Been there with Eric and Bill too long ago, we stayed in Abingdon. There are many great roads
      in the area and I've suggested several times to no avail that the BRPR try it.
      I suggest spending three days riding there.

I've never ridden the Dragon and prefer the less crowded roads.

Comment

I’ve loved the Back of the Dragon (VA 16 between Marion and Tazewell) since before it had a name. It’s very alpine, and you go over two mountains in the span of about 30 miles. Not to be missed if you’re in the area.

Also you should go south from Marion and take VA 80 to the northwest. It goes over the same ridges as 16, only the road is more of a goat path. It chokes down to about a lane and a half near the highest part.
        I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

Comment

Both 16(Back of the Dragon) and 80 are great roads. Personally, I think that 16 is a much 'nicer' all round road than the Tail of the Dragon.

Comment

It used to have a lot of gravel on it but now that they're marketing it VDOT cleans it more often.

Comment

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              I went down on some gravel on it on my K1200RS. One minute I’m tooling along, dappled sunshine on the road, the next minute I’m lying in the middle of the road, my bike spinning away from me on the road. I picked it up, made minor repairs, and did another 150 miles.

Marion to Tazwell is great, and for icing on the cake there are lots of other great roads in the area. Not too far south is Damascus VA and highways 91 and 133. As usual weekends might get crowded, especially on 421. Great roads though!!

Just outside of Tazwell VA where the fun begins.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSCF0024.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	21044
            Also, the Frog Level Yacht Club is no more.

Name:	1-DSCF0022.JPG
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	21045

Backbone Rock on 133.

Name:	1-DSCF0008.JPG
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	21046

Comment

• Capnrip
              Capnrip commented
              Editing a comment
              Backbone rock and the little waterfall are cool. I enjoyed going there.
          Working...
          X