Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Trip: My Commute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Daily Trip: My Commute

    There are a thousand benefits for living on the limits of one of the most remotest cities in the world ... one being I get a pretty darn good daily commute on the bike.

    I hope this embedding works ....
    (edit: it didn't, so here's the link)

    https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10001999092
    Last edited by FR4N; 10-16-2018, 07:02 AM.
    2015 Black BMW K1300R @ 49,200 km / 30,500 mi
    2006 Honda FireBlade @ 83,200 km / 51,800 mi - 3 x transcontinentals & a whole lotta hooning

    DEAD: 2012 Acid Green BMW K1300R @ 172,600 km / 107,200 mi - Hit a kangaroo - RIP dear friend

    #2
    Love it! I might have to get me that app although I see it as evidence.

    Comment


    • MattB
      MattB commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree... and AGREE!

    #3
    The app is brilliant - I use it for hiking. You can also make a trip public to certain people so they can travel along with you on the app. I used to use a SPOT tracker and ping it every now and then so my SO could follow me when I was doing solo long distance rides. Now, he can open live track me on the app (provided I'm riding in a mobile coverage area)
    2015 Black BMW K1300R @ 49,200 km / 30,500 mi
    2006 Honda FireBlade @ 83,200 km / 51,800 mi - 3 x transcontinentals & a whole lotta hooning

    DEAD: 2012 Acid Green BMW K1300R @ 172,600 km / 107,200 mi - Hit a kangaroo - RIP dear friend

    Comment


      #4
      The last time I was riding with Rob he said that if something happened he'd have to leave me. There was very spotty cell signal where we were so I might have to invest in the Spot or similar when riding with that guy.

      Comment


        #5

        Comment


        • MattB
          MattB commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know, thanks Doug.

        #6
        That was really cool to see, Fran. Without the elevation graph at the top left, someone unfamiliar with the area might not understand the terrain you traversed.

        Thanks for sharing this. ?

        Comment


          #7
          Thanks, Pat. What it doesn't show is the 20 odd kms of traffic jam I had to split and filter through which slowed me down.
          2015 Black BMW K1300R @ 49,200 km / 30,500 mi
          2006 Honda FireBlade @ 83,200 km / 51,800 mi - 3 x transcontinentals & a whole lotta hooning

          DEAD: 2012 Acid Green BMW K1300R @ 172,600 km / 107,200 mi - Hit a kangaroo - RIP dear friend

          Comment


            #8
            Yes, totally agree with you Loggie. Mine was the Gen 1, purchased around 2008/9 I think. I'd have several long gaps between pings, or pings not showing because of that very same issue. Way back in 2009 (lol!) that was the only option for me as mobile coverage was non-existent out of the metro area. Australia has vastly improved since then.

            At the time the two main drawcards for me going the SPOT route was it sent email/sms notifications of my coordinates to my SO (albeit I'd have ridden past those locations at the time of sending), and the 911 emergency function which I subscribed to.

            I also used SpotWalla's free interface platform (set up by a fellow long distance rider), as opposed the findmespot paid interface. Here's a 2009 transcontinental I did using SpotWalla. You can show speed but I have disabled it. Because of the lags in pings it doesn't follow the lie of the road, but from ping to ping: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=3125

            But technology has come a long way in 9 short years, and there are plenty of apps and tracking devices around now that can do virtually the same thing.

            IMHO, it comes down to precisely how remote you want to travel (i.e. satellite v mobile coverage), and what sort of emergency response you need.
            2015 Black BMW K1300R @ 49,200 km / 30,500 mi
            2006 Honda FireBlade @ 83,200 km / 51,800 mi - 3 x transcontinentals & a whole lotta hooning

            DEAD: 2012 Acid Green BMW K1300R @ 172,600 km / 107,200 mi - Hit a kangaroo - RIP dear friend

            Comment


              #9
              Cut with a curse sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul, damned is your life!

              Comment

              Working...
              X