WV weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WV weekend

Although it’s a little late in the season, Beth and I planned a weekend trip to Beckley, WV, with friends of ours who ride a Harley. The Odd Couples. Notice up front: we didn’t take any pictures, so don’t expect any.

In addition, it was kinda cool. A cold front went through the area Thursday night, and on Friday morning it was in the low 40’s when we got rolling. It got colder as we got higher, like 30 degrees Saturday morning, with heavy frost on everything. But we had enough gear that it didn’t bother us much.

We plotted out a route to Beckley that was nearly all 2-lane roads. NC 8 /VA 8 from Winston-Salem to Christiansburg, VA. US 11, US 219, VA 100, US 460, WV-12 and WV-3. (Not necessarily in that order.) We got to Beckley
    ​​​​​​ around 4 pm and checked in at the Holiday Inn. It seemed like the right thing to do after my recent 3 nights at Mrs, Gordon’s.

As I said, Saturday dawned cold, so we had a long breakfast, then headed up US 19 to the famed New River Gorge. We stopped at the Welcome Center briefly, then took the road down into the gorge and across the river. Most of it is one-way, and it’s a fun ride. Afterwards we went to Summerville, then took WV 39 and 16 to Gauley Bridge. Some of this runs alongside the Gauley River, which empties into the New River at Gauley Bridge. Then we took WV 16 (a.k.a. the Backbone of WV) back to Beckley. I really recommend that stretch from Summerville to Gauley Bridge.

This morning we headed back to NC, and took a road that I had never been on before this trip. WV-3 goes all the way from Beckley to VA-311 very near Paint Bank, VA. Many of you have been through Paint Bank at the BRPR, but I bet you never got on WV-3. From Beckley it goes over some mountains (it is WV, after all), runs alongside the New and the Greenbrier Rivers, and then nearer 311 it opens up into a wide, pastured Valley that is just beautiful. If you remember anything from this write up, remember this road. I’m amazed that after riding in this area for decades, I’m only now discovering WV-3.

VA-311 goes to Roanoke, and from there we zipped home, mostly on US-220. Always kinda cool, but not unbearable. I’m glad to be able to get in such a great ride in November!
    I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

Sounds like a great ride Rob. Never done 3, but like 8 and 100 that you took. Never done that stretch of 16 either, thanks for the tip.

Comment

Sounds fantastic Rob. 16 is a great road although I have been through there when there was a load of debris through many corners. And it was cold over the last few days. Glad you and Beth got out for a ride.

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        I rode it end to end once with Brian Smith (BWS). We rounded a curve to find an iron pipe, about 6” in diameter and 20’ long, across the road and rolling toward us, slowly. We moved over to the side and let it roll on past. About a quarter mile on up the road we see a hillbilly standing next to his empty flatbed truck, scratching his head in bewilderment. Gotta love roads like that!

Excellent. We will have to check out WV-3.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
        . WV-3 goes all the way from Beckley to VA-311 very near Paint Bank, VA. Many of you have been through Paint Bank at the BRPR, but I bet you never got on WV-3. !
        I don't remember how far we went but remember stopping at the Cheese and More store.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...=en&authuser=0
        Last edited by Lee; 1 week ago.
        Lee
        Iowa
        2016 R1200RS

Comment

• cabnfvr
          cabnfvr commented
          Editing a comment
          Added to our Google "Places" folder. You two find the most amazing out of the way spots. I think I'll pre-order a book just in case you ever write one.

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, we saw that, but must be a subsidiary of Chick Filet, because it was closed on Sunday.

• Lee
          Lee commented
          Editing a comment
          Tim I have not used Google Places. Looks like it might be a handy tool.

They should make West Virginia a National Park and eliminate speed limits for motorcycles!

Comment

Glad you and Beth got out Rob, I am envious. Sh*t load of stuff I had to do this weekend.
        Chattanooga, TN
        Certified Hooligan.
        2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

Working...
        X