Natchez Trace Parkway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natchez Trace Parkway

My buddy and I are headed to the Natchez in two weeks, hopefully the weather holds out, we figure there will be cold mornings but counting on pleasant afternoons, praying Mother Nature takes good care of us!
    Our first stop will be in Nashville, from my house that’s exactly 600 miles no big deal for us, plan on parting a little in nashville, will be short lived for looking on the many web sites looks like everything gets shut down by 10 or 11 with covids hours, Im sure we’ll be exhausted by then anyways. Hoping to have a late breakfast at the Loveless cafe if the wait is not too long, from there just down the street starts the Natchez. We are thinking just ride half the Natchez the first day find a hotel somewhere then ride the second half and start heading home. It’s 900 miles from Natchez Mississippi to home, will be a lot of slab ridding but we don't have a ton of time to take back roads.
    For those of you that have ridden this before are there any one or two things we should definitely check out? This will be a quick turnaround but we have talked about slowing things down a little and check some things out. My buddy and I are not the most touristy type that stops at every attraction we just love to ride. We are thinking this time of year the the foliage should be just spectacular to see! Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thank you!

You may be disappointed with color since you’re a little early but it’ll be better at the north end. The north end until Tupelo is a great flowing road. It gets a little monotonous at the south end. When we did it we were in “expedited “ tourist mode...faster than the speed limit and passing whenever we wanted but nothing crazy. There are points of interest all along the way that we enjoyed so you can stop as much as you want. Of course, Tupelo is everything Elvis. We stayed at a Drury Inn in Tupelo and it was great!

There are lots of stories about Leo’s but we didn’t see even one. Hope you have the same luck.

Hope ya have a great ride, and weather 👍

Comment

When we were on the trace last October traffic was almost non existent. So were gas stations so keep that in mind. There are interesting stops, and keep an eye out for sections of the old trace. We found one section of the old Trace that went through the woods for about a mile or so. It was smooth enough for an S to manage it.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Original Trace.JPG Views:	1 Size:	230.1 KB ID:	25303

There are also old sections of the Trace that are foot traffic only.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Old Trace.JPG Views:	2 Size:	266.1 KB ID:	25304

Meriwether Lewis Monument is another good stop. It was unfortunately his final one. The monument came later.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Meriwether Lewis.JPG Views:	2 Size:	219.1 KB ID:	25305

If you are interested the childhood home of Elvis Presley is in Tupelo. It's just a short hop off the Trace, and you'll probably need food and gas in Tupelo anyway.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Elvis in Tupelo.JPG Views:	2 Size:	194.3 KB ID:	25306

It's a shame you are limited on time. Clarksdale is only a couple of hours west and they have this place called the Shack Up Inn. It's awesome!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Shack Up.JPG Views:	2 Size:	128.4 KB ID:	25307

Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions, and especially the heads up on gas stops! Usually we need to stop before we need gas for bathroom breaks! We’ve left our yellow DNA many a times on the sides of roads How far would you say Tupelo is from Tennessee by way of the trace? Maybe we can make that are second stop.
        Last edited by RS530; 09-26-2020, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• cabnfvr
          cabnfvr commented
          Editing a comment
          What Doug said below. And we found a few DNA drop offs along the way. You are able to be out of sight of the road on many of the pullouts.
          Last edited by cabnfvr; 09-27-2020, 08:08 AM.

It’s only about 200 miles. Natchez Trace has a nice mile marker map like the BRPW. Just google it. You’ve got enough time to receive it. If not, stop at any of the ranger/visitor centers along the way. The map gives all of the points if interest. Worth picking up.👍

Comment

• RS530
          RS530 commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome, thank you, I most definitely will, hopefully will also give details where gas stops are too!

One more pic for Doug. Natchez Trace rest stop.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Rest.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	25316

Comment

• Loggiebone
          Loggiebone commented
          Editing a comment
          Sasquatch? Lol!

I did the Trace with a friend back around 2000.

We traveled from Columbus, Ohio to New Orleans where he peeled off for Texas and I for Florida, both to visit kids.

We included the Mammoth Cave area, Land Between the Lakes (where we rode thru the elk/buffalo enclosure), Nashville, and the west side of the Mississippi where we did some off-road along the top of some dykes.

We encountered a bull buffalo at the top of a crest going thru the enclosure. He was facing us in the middle of the road and wasn't going to yield. We finally rode along the opposite side of a sightseeing truck to get past him (pickup with raised benches in the truck bed.

Huge cotton fields along the trace.

We spent half a day touring the Vicksburg National Military Park. Incredible.

Crossed the river to Vidalia and had a the best fried catfish dinner ever. That restaurant is gone now but you might want to try the Craws, Claws & Tails Restaurant.

The roads south take you through small towns and the Old South.

Comment

Originally posted by wildbears View Post

We spent half a day touring the Vicksburg National Military Park. Incredible.

We also visited Vicksburg when we did the Trace.

Lee
          Iowa
          2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

RS530 I would love to join you guys, if it is on a Friday- Sunday stint.
            Ready with my GS. Let me know.
            Or call/txt me 423 693 9477
            Chattanooga, TN
            Certified Hooligan.
            2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

Working...
            X