Fuquay-Varina

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuquay-Varina

How can it take one year to take a 750 mile 3 day trip? Last October, November and December had rain every weekend we planned to go. Rain is no big deal but it's nicer without it, so we would wait a week, and the forecast would be for rain again. January was just cold. February too. March looked good but if we went we'd need new tires for Texas in April. Then we had Australian wildfires, MURDER hornets, and Covid. So everything got put on hold for a while longer. We never heard how Australia faired. News people do that, on to the next. The are still looking for the MURDER hornets, and Covid is definitely still here. The forecast is great for the weekend (last weekend) so we decide to go.

Why Fuquay-Varina? Back in 2000 or so we went to a Moto-Guzzi open house in Lillington NC. Across the street is a small restaurant called the Fish Fry. You can eat their fried fish with a plastic fork! And just a short drive north is Fuquay-Varina. We passed on that due to Covid and stayed in Sanford, NC. From Sanford we did a day loop of a couple of General Stores, stopped at a car show Bluegrass event that we stumbled upon, ate BBQ in Lexington NC, saw a couple of covered bridges, and discovered a bit more about our state.

Day one was last Friday. We stopped in Gold Hill where Gold was first discovered ion NC. My dad drove for Texaco for many years and had a million mile safety award (sure wish we could have found that). I have a soft spot for anything authentically Texaco. This old store even has a hand pump oil dispenser. Cool.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1-Gold Hill.JPG Views:	1 Size:	215.3 KB ID:	25553

We checked in our motel in Sanford then proceeded to the Fish Fry. our last visit was at least 20 years ago but they are just as great as ever.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2-Fish Fry.JPG Views:	1 Size:	159.7 KB ID:	25554

Saturday we began our loop. The car show was just getting started. They had several nice old daily drivers.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1-DSCF1866.JPG Views:	1 Size:	117.2 KB ID:	25556

Horneytown was a must stop kind of place.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3-Horneytown.JPG Views:	1 Size:	134.0 KB ID:	25555

Lunch was at the BBQ Center in Lexington, NC. The reviews were very good, and so was the Q. We prefer western style but still I'd go back in a second.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4-BBQ Center.JPG Views:	1 Size:	165.1 KB ID:	25557

Our loop took us through the Uwharrie Mountains. The day was absolutely gorgeous.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5-Uwharrie Mtns.JPG Views:	1 Size:	93.0 KB ID:	25558

One of our covered bridges. This is Pisgah Covered Bridge in Randolph County.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	6-Pisgah Covered bridge.JPG Views:	1 Size:	257.6 KB ID:	25559

Next we went to the center of the state. Or at least to a marker that represents it. The true center is behind a chicken coop on private property a couple of miles away.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7-Star.JPG Views:	1 Size:	222.5 KB ID:	25560

From the center to the devil. Supposedly nothing will grow in the Devil's Tramping Ground.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8-Devils Tramping Ground.JPG Views:	1 Size:	225.1 KB ID:	25561

Sunday was the ride home. We do enjoy seeing the mountains again.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	9-Home.JPG Views:	1 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	25562

We took Hwy 27 from Sanford to Lincolnton, then 182 west. Great weekend. We just might go back next year. If we start planning now that is.

Last edited by cabnfvr; 2 weeks ago.

Nice area to ride indeed . Went there with Woody in 2010 .

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1269.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	25571

Comment

• cabnfvr
      cabnfvr commented
      Editing a comment
      Le monde est petit!

Y'all were at the BBQ Center and I didn't hear from you? Shame on you both!
    I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

Comment

• cabnfvr
      cabnfvr commented
      Editing a comment
      We didn't know when we were going to be there but it's an oversight that must be addressed on our next trek east.

• LurkingCharlie
      LurkingCharlie commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said! I'm in the same area!

That'd be great!
    I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

Comment

Great pics but it would be ok to have a few of your riding buddy too!😏😁👍

Comment

I've eaten at that BBQ joint before! I enjoyed it, even the company.

Thanks for putting this together Tim!

Comment

Hey Susan, you guys were not to far from the Devils tramping ground!
          I know you love ghost stories.

Comment

Working...
          X