Tail Chaser 250

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tail Chaser 250

Let's do it, she said. It will be fun, she said. And this is her saying this now. But you know what? It was fun! Challenging, maybe a bit on the crazy side, but fun!! Would we do it again? Yesterday we said no. Today we're saying maybe. So what was "it"? The Tail Chaser 250 is a 250 km ride primarily through Henderson and Transylvania counties on paved and unpaved roads. The entry fee goes to supporting the local Boys and Girls club so it was money well spent. Saturday morning started with breakfast at Oscar Blues Reeb Ranch. Breakfast was very good.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2Pg2FypfvFbtcYgdfPMmmZiDuemQglYdQaxIydKsOm0uBz3h7psaKhwjmknOOdMmbweo9BNzuTRndF2akpPRPUxXtHFDuSLqw5rgj8VAGjjC4RGiixP9uekLseIkBzuiHEDxw89CZQO2sFOY0wZKrofX4V9bL6YJ4DcxEOAmKbdXGdxS9Ij04MptaZ-IcrrNsnqvgRJJw6MivNKUpjYCoUu3-RBi5taPNY-8ibKJN-AP_t7E3de3F8LyW0q1rB0 Views:	1 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	4771

They even had one of those new fangled automatic floor cleaners going around the place. Every scrap expertly cleaned up on the spot.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	L8-5aT8705WrJG7x9gCY8PiLhLymqpUl3K1BUCL-IE-aB47n1t275LvLRiWA2EUpQjzDBiuCp96oK6oOn2n-QfjVYKi8ELEq91mcjaaBrWFEet5Yk3u6J1NyRD_c1UK_CU4L6nYERZWe2qinvr5VcEzYA_8WxGBNTgaYUZEO-3eb93W5ilB-NEg13w1jEfVaahCdFGHF1u2V0xT90lAHABsJ3pR4gGihWB4geboGQVWIkdwB7S_WoCY3G-fHR8G Views:	1 Size:	89.0 KB ID:	4772

One of our favorite roads was Neddy Mountain heading toward's Charlies Creek..
    Click image for larger version  Name:	yPObwkbIlIqwNXy_7QQZp42JzphAWzAu8hpZ6LP9Q3RrrWcCn6dUQ-FDZYWkuXVLv8vSgfXlEgwTXWhjK8AVlzaRmj0KBp9S064i4MfeGFttKnRWjmwlKcuqnWo0DQPpVXY8CwhzHimPMOSkxL7OAtciU4tCK3WJffLOx8mTLSNN-l1jB73J3zJPt9FlNBn8cOi6nVTJ5G_ihJKHxr6v3grIsGrhsV_DORxiIok6ap8W9tjH-jMBSBZNpvnfzyW Views:	1 Size:	190.6 KB ID:	4770

Another great road was Pinnacle Mountain. It starts out with nice twisty pavement like the photo below.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1hpZY-p-VJrvdNqSpr55e-PDRO3NDJPjsLgurOUGM21v15RBk83ifT9aOxLsFiykkPM26wbwlcEIW0jW7H4Ikf-jXfKOFrHh3TnqS0uZ7oHk7psQBWfnLQq1ra7aYYeTvq22no_CSwe9bhJ-u8NGTEws8gqmQ2llt-WBKycmYqnd9YsurTISBrUYv1Ts_JhDTyGJ0TVpk70FEuyQoUTTWXFbWn3gXDPzZHUEsJCRA8jiOCFJwRZsSW5zm8hImAA Views:	1 Size:	200.4 KB ID:	4773

And then transforms into a nice gravel road. You have no idea you are being lulled into a fresh hell.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CZe-tjFdCGU3BwL9EiJfkOIOCwE8CCxu-zEnGQFpi7zoxn9YY0CQ4VsMN4gOVz-tEnzJd_8euoyQweQTUL2xwzEETqXcPvqw1QnysGCfKlkoid22jyT8lrK7gXXnxwyYso0IFD5YUGNJzAkxYDNOhMrMtfNAsiXWi7-klwiPtzKQH5Q6M4_flFUU6f-fYZxjhW7gMY6GGb_OQMSVhE_MUXkBQeTqk_7dICnHzYwBcAjXrovzG0Vw9tjTWZhE7HN Views:	1 Size:	219.0 KB ID:	4774

Now for the fresh hell. You have been lured into the point of no return. Cameras and Video never do a hills steepness any justice. The same goes for ruts in the road. When we arrived at this hill, somewhere near the lead pack of riders, there was one rider at the bottom contemplating his line, one halfway up the visible portion of the hill trying to turn around after spinning out, and one rider off to the right further up just contemplating the day. We went around the stopped rider, off to the right of the rider heading back down, and lost momentum. I figured i'd have to try to turn around a 538 pound bike on the side of a steep and loose rock hill. Our GS, by the way, has Anakee IIIs on it. Given that option I tried one other thing first. Susan dismounted and I just attempted an uphill start. The tire spun maybe a half revolution and HOOKED UP. Now all i had to do was keep everything pointed uphill for another 150 feet. Oh yeah, and cross a rut that was almost a half tire deep and cross angled to the slope. Yippiee! Looks easy in the pic. It stopped dedicated dual-sport bikes!!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HG0ntixoXGNPUYwjVrWWQvOmuelhfHGWTByqYAqMfDNoRI7ZwUkHIqWdg44frsLmWMu96E6GM607MJUrLRJoas24N1oQrxoyss6Ym6pux36GjjZ9eMwBGTv5zNv__-A5n9Z-oHUSXDbcggd782UCG1tHtM3Xkg4k6SGI1IeC6W1tavVMWt3r5gEp6Pl7o_v6hF0LMi7bPOrGX2733VUdRS1Hx4KrgtUAXVTCMZgbl2Kq6tKnzlU4OsRZU-06itA Views:	1 Size:	265.9 KB ID:	4775

(and now to stop and go to Part II less I lose everything like I did a few minutes ago.)
    Last edited by cabnfvr; 04-28-2019, 05:47 PM.

The rocks on that hill were about the size of a tennis ball. Someone called them railroad rocks. Everyone had trouble on them. Here's a closeup.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	jYg5xXZ9UmQh_D2MhZK8ng_U9__p_ypbwydJTxzjW0nZYM7ORb3eUxlEwrvsorTSzFBFq7iqBOcXfaeI9JF4YTWjUhmZKKTmF3WGxioWYilGCQaQWrjFiUcALHqGlE8NssOX9L5Ve-iKh8Ql6AQlKAdMRF1TJMNAx_aHRDvcpA3S_OVEPdhwnifWbBVPpcVp3QOKRdzvLSbQx0YI8duhVpt_30Yj0wDLpUiXBPb6BHYvZ_xk3ZwiLvyN4FpgC5X Views:	1 Size:	274.8 KB ID:	4777

So amazingly the GS made it up this hill. We've done Engineer and Ophir in Colorado. Both were easier than this hill!! After this we figured it would get better. It did, sort of, but mainly it just got different. Like the event flyers said, this was an Adventure ride. Study the pic below for a moment. Again, looks easy. But look at the bottom of the hill and you get a better idea of how quickly the elevation changes. All you have to do is hit the gullies without washing out the front end, or bottoming out the bike, or hitting a rock and getting thrown sideways. Don't come down is what Bill Morgan would have probably said, but we sure a heck couldn't go back. Onward!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	dNnB5aMhEdWMjYdcjkDOsvL46E-4TDnhpggCw8FpD5dgHPOgXHdz7x1Dei4KpjCwd5YeZ31XgUhz5unvQ-XXkEhXwnujv6_7D0FJNIFS1zu5JxeKW07jvuH-9M4QAbGn1scf7QagyteaRQ3hid8ib_iGuk65B6yWRGjAVITGK5AkzxzsiEfJfhjxxinhTgB0GXd9JAxjxkpEpyeG-4S-23ZBP4ig8FdOIZ4BvtI5ENzoFk_6qnII78fOyyxWlAk Views:	1 Size:	255.4 KB ID:	4778

After this rather physically and mentally demanding section, which was also rather rewarding, the roads became almost what we expected. Gravel forest roads. Remember the Anakee IIIs? They think gravel is something to roll over. Literally. including rolling sideways, always a challenge to convince the bike to go where you wanted it to go. Don't fight it, but don't let it get too far out of line either. Challenging to say the least. The views were spectacular though.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	-B_VKXf4--G9C-VrVTuE9UCIvU0h7pTAKvI9X47SCg8BRU-aHgIJN7srQfojvVuEOOI-qOH8_9oXwjcC_fyq4CtWVyelme-VivYByIscjaZuiyMMM1Q6FEl423-FlfEpzHroESvckL4rR28-gbVesyXa9fkIt8RhzemXP_wfkLlFHNpMRP0ajkq2m9_HmyazA-mhIpavlTCjuDvMd_BaS6skAubuEOT6cQBi1fPtBVVuSAmzRaLxlMQBHJMup0Z Views:	1 Size:	268.2 KB ID:	4779

On top of the marble like surface there were the occasional cars. Most were nice. This one was clueless. We were already committed to a loose rocky climb when he decided the Camry was out of it's league and need to return home. Thanks a lot for making us stop. Ironically the GS once again caught traction and climbed up the grade.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PLCHDAhR_yRTL7KJSvbK0nxHFKKogoutRa3NULpfNVudu2h_H4-8ArvayqiB-zTtrcnbw0tzfyBW9IBNRQaddTbOlHHPTHXrrJunzqbr4e32v2n6cmHk7TxuU5JVrZZLCC4OU1Km_eDef8sw0JifezQOyMyQON6GLKN65BHpL_0ATQ80w3vYAU2ou16STtbSEuXgKmzk2bdApldsvV4E_9rron3ppBrQkncju8usB_vpF3P1Tdxluh-Nh5fZOjf Views:	1 Size:	198.4 KB ID:	4780

After 5 hours and 140 miles I stopped at the top of US 276 and called it. We'd done more than any 538 pound bike should do, and we'd done it 2-up and with street tires. I was getting tired and that's when mistakes happen. At the end of the last Forest Road we rode we stopped for a short break. My girls did fine and both deserved a big hug.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ghZjuFxrv5cR7-E6vGmJvdj4M1e4N3M_mEPgmnE2G7P6uVbA2Cp_uD2V3-Mv4g8ZPFsfF9oaEabg5sQ4Bg9Zh4sRULfXyU4niBKub-fXwvAjK3x2A0j6v5LX5uFaTW08-9eMhkhVMKmL7jKvAh_WIJRfevWCUg8_idzHsEN7klfgKGaiwsxEFhUa505-Xxgmh_xwQHAna2MTV0TIxDNB38dlg8aHswB1nnkXeYRmC8fI7xytRzMuDpprX5NCi0B Views:	1 Size:	255.6 KB ID:	4781

Lets's do it, she said. It will be fun, she said. You know what, she was right! Another great weekend, and finally, great riding. We're already wondering what that thing could do with decent tires next year!!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	bgQkBhDZDQn8hUtoqAEjWe8K2NKZCvm6t1YyXAH6cTPta_5P-myUKMwsARI_jBe7g9KvzsWfMeCpN_IGWvCnxt8mnQdap1Ar0vGQYZt_cnNDF0_R8sVhN0bptgI8FB1KYqtDI19-i9PlDL2EvHe34CWQWR5u_2YrUEhHVkLW4bNEYzeRooO0odwDPcDrtRTRmwdX8A-KwNLRcP13VacxVgwCsGlkyOZJJ7mBYCeXE5fKghZ1Mi5YiGSyCk-Gvuv Views:	1 Size:	225.8 KB ID:	4782
    Last edited by cabnfvr; 04-28-2019, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Looking at the first 2 paved road pictures I'm thinking, this looks fun.
      Than I saw the other pictures
      Lee
      Iowa
      2016 R1200RS

Comment

Tim yu got balls. !!!
        Chattanooga, TN
        Certified Hooligan.
        2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

Ha! Whatโ€™s that saying? When the going gets tuff...

Good job!๐Ÿ‘

Comment

And 2 up... dang! Looks like fun Tim & for a good cause too. Great ride tale & pics!
            "Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

Comment

That's awesome! I was through the easy parts of that area on Saturday. Next time I should follow you!!
              Last edited by justjoe; 04-29-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

It was fun in a slightly abusive way and we never once, either of us, considered turning around. On some of the rougher spots I kept thinking that Bill Morgan would go through them with one hand on the throttle while texting with the other.
                ain't skeered

Comment

Here's a link to the hill but the GoPro makes it look far less steep than it actually was. The difficult section starts at the 11 minute mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan View Post
                    It was fun in a slightly abusive way :
                    Remind you of your honeymoon

Lee
                    Iowa
                    2016 R1200RS

Comment

Nice report Tim. A ride on a GS that doesn't include some Gravel just aint right is it?
                      '11 BMW K1300S - Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler, OEM Centerstand, Grip Puppies, OEM Rear Rack, OEM Bags, Three Vent Holes in Filler Neck, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Kickstand Foot, Ilmburger Rear Hugger, Throttle Meister, Stebel Horn, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Corbin Seat, Z-Technik Smoke Windscreen, R&G Frame Sliders

Comment

Originally posted by R111S View Post
                        Nice report Tim. A ride on a GS that doesn't include some Gravel just aint right is it?
                        The weird part is that we're just looking for a nice forest road, but we always wind up finding a steep rocky incline or an incredibly deep mud hole or a river between us and where we need to be. On in the case of following the GPS in Georgia in the middle of a thunderstorm, a steep rocky muddy hill with enough water flowing across it to look like a river. That one was the worst, but one thing about our GS, it's not been boring.

Comment

Originally posted by cabnfvr View Post
                          The weird part is that we're just looking for a nice forest road, but we always wind up finding a steep rocky incline or an incredibly deep mud hole or a river between us and where we need to be. On in the case of following the GPS in Georgia in the middle of a thunderstorm, a steep rocky muddy hill with enough water flowing across it to look like a river. That one was the worst, but one thing about our GS, it's not been boring.
                          WOOO! Great compilation video there. Some pucker moments for sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X