2019 BMW MOA National Rally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 BMW MOA National Rally

Well, this year's MOA rally is in the books. It was an odd event for me because the only rallies I have ever attended where either i-BMW hooliganism or like Bike Week in Daytona or BikeFest in Leesburg. Nothing like this so I was kind of excited. First, the staff that put on the rally were great and a pleasure to deal with throughout all of my questions. From registration to volunteering to getting a beer, it was all good.

We registered for the event some months ago, planning to take my toy hauler and at least one bike. I signed up for an off-road course put on by the BMW Performance Center for Thursday morning so we extended the dates to get there a day early. We set up the RV, cooked some dinner and drank some wine. The weather was perfect so we sat outside and just enjoyed some peace.

I was up early every day, cooking breakfast and drinking coffee. Thursday took on an additional challenge with registering and getting to class on time. I also signed up for a demo ride on the S1000R. More on that later.

The class was pretty cool. It was a half day worth of instruction, where the staff did a really condensed version of the one day class they put on in South Carolina. I didn't take any pictures of the class, but we covered slow work focusing on clutch/throttle interaction, ruts, bumps, and tight turns at low speed. All fun stuff. The staff also talked about controls, how to pick up the bike (which I was thankful to not drop my bike but others did a number of times).

A GS in its natural state of napping!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	52E96ACE-24A1-4795-BD20-AF9B873C701E_zpsfpzlw7eb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	6478

After the class, I grabbed some lunch and headed over to the demo truck to take my ride. It was short and moderated. I had wanted to ride the S1kRR as well but after riding the R in the controlled environment I decided to swing by a dealer instead and ride them back to back. I will say that the transmission/engine on the S1kR was super smooth. I can't wait to actually be able to ride it a bit like it should be ridden and not like a scooter.

We also won a door prize on Thursday, a gift certificate to Subway which was in my son's hands as soon as we got home yesterday. He was happy!

Temperatures were nice for me, a little on the chilly side for the wife. There was also a stiff breeze every day which I thoroughly enjoyed. Julie on the other hand, she has turned into a blanket woman and she doesn't even know what that means!

Name:	14D0A04D-2544-4B43-9319-08DD5708F985_zps2stbjt4e.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	6479

I thought his picture was kind of funny. A bike wash station at the rally! I could see Lee here, supervising! And then I realized that I trailered two hours instead of riding so I don't have much to say!

Name:	74D63119-9766-4019-B5A7-4E4515A1C93C_zpshcsche64.jpg
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	6480

Thursday evening we had dinner with Tim, Susan, Lee, and Debi. Those pictures are in Tim's thread. We missed Mani who was staying at a hotel and then I got a call from Bill Morgan. It appeared as if a Bill Morgan adventure was headed my way.

Friday was more of the same. We did some serious shopping and hooked up with Mani to walk the event site. I will say that my wife and I probably walked the entire site 10 times while we were there. It was just a fun environment and there were all kinds of things to see. Bikes, vendors, exhibitions, people drinking, all good stuff. And we got ready for the tornado that is Bill to arrive. He got onto site early evening with a business partner, John. They set up camp and we walked around a bit. I cooked some chow for everyone during this time.

Saturday Bill, John, Mani, Julie and I got up and went for a ride. We worked our way out from Lebanon, heading Northeast and eventually we stopped in Fountain Run, KY where we stopped for lunch. I enjoy these little dinners tremendously. I like to talk to the locals too. As Bill and I were looking at routes, the folks at the next table asked us where we were going. When we didn't have a good answer he asked where we had been and we told him. He said there was a shorter way to get to where we were and we acknowledged that we knew of the shorter route, but we were looking for an adventure. And then it finally sank in and he gave us directions to a really hard, twisty road. I'm not sure if we made it there.

Bill working on routes

Name:	978A9082-CBA4-47F8-BB75-4241CDC7E939_zps3oo0tzwk.jpg
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	6481

Julie telling John something incredibly important, I didn't hear a word.

Name:	07B37520-DD40-4232-96B5-2F4B7F1F0746_zpsxunnqppz.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	6482

Mani, well, being Mani.

Name:	DC265904-9E6E-44C2-BED5-83CEF4EC6732_zpsvnvub9qs.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	6483

After lunch, John and Mani took off and headed back to the rally site. Bill, Julie and I went searching for roads to run. We were getting into some interesting territory when we figured that we should get out to a main road for fuel. We plugged gas into the GPS and headed that way. While fueling up, another local asked where we were going and got the same answer. He asked where we had been and the answer was we had lunch in Fountain Run and the guy said that's about 15 minutes up the road. It had taken two hours to get there! LOL! More advice and directions were handed out and we decided to take them and shoot right back to the rally site.

Back at the site we started relaxing, ate a bit, drank a bit and then headed to the rally finale. It was two hours of prizes, recognition, thank you's and those things you'd expect from a large group like the MOA. It was cool. I did get to see FastEddie and KoolKaren briefly there. After the rally presentation, Julie and I wandered around a bit. We swung by Eddie and Karen's camp but they hadn't made it back yet and so we headed back to camp to start getting ready to break down the following day.

Sunday was a quick breakdown and we were out of the rally site before 9 am, home by 11 am. I had a great time. I doubt this will be a yearly event for me, but if they hold the rally in a location that sounds interesting to get to, I could do it again.

It's not a bad venue, just different. We skipped the closing ceremonies mainly because BTDT and that would be time that we could never get back. It is so good to see Julie getting more involved in riding and attending our get- togethers, and now she is one of the Blanket Women!
    ain't skeered

Comment

Good stuff. Sounds like y'all had a great time.

Comment

Great time as always Joe, enjoyed yalls company and riding. Did not realize that I was being bit by a million mosquitoes until I got sober. Still painful.
        It was nice to see Bill, and John was a real stand up guy. Liked him.
        Chattanooga, TN
        Certified Hooligan.
        2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

Originally posted by Susan View Post
          It's not a bad venue, just different. We skipped the closing ceremonies mainly because BTDT and that would be time that we could never get back. It is so good to see Julie getting more involved in riding and attending our get- togethers, and now she is one of the Blanket Women!
          Smart move on skipping the closing ceremony. It ran over by 1 hour and it turned out you didn't need to be there to win the bike.
          We enjoyed getting to see all of you.
          Friday we rode to the Beechcraft museum and Saturday we checked out the Hermitage.
          Thanks for the report and pics Joe.
          Lee
          Iowa
          2016 R1200RS

Comment

Thanks JJ, wish I could've made it to this one.
            As for the closing ceremonies, I keep hoping I'll win a trip so I attend. They should do the
            prize drawing first so then we can leave and get back to the party.

I found that when I'm traveling and going a diner, I lay my map (old school) on the outside
            corner of the table and inevitably some local will ask where I'm going. I usually answer with
            a question, Anyplace interesting, got any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by 802Mike View Post
              Thanks JJ, wish I could've made it to this one.
              As for the closing ceremonies, I keep hoping I'll win a trip so I attend. They should do the
              prize drawing first so then we can leave and get back to the party.

I found that when I'm traveling and going a diner, I lay my map (old school) on the outside
              corner of the table and inevitably some local will ask where I'm going. I usually answer with
              a question, Anyplace interesting, got any suggestions?
              Funny thing about the trips and the prizes in general. There were some that sounded good, and some that didn't interest me at all. Julie wanted to win the bike (750GS). Out of all the trips, I think there were two that I cared for, the rest I didn't want. So Julie and I agreed that if they called our names we wouldn't answer so someone else who wanted it more than we did would answer. Whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by justjoe View Post

So Julie and I agreed that if they called our names we wouldn't answer so someone else who wanted it more than we did would answer. Whatever.
                We would probably do the same as we could not afford most of the trips even with the coupon.
                Chuck mentioned once most of the trips probably go unused because people can't afford to pay the remaining costs.

Waiting for the fog to clear before we head north from Cuba Mo.
                Lee
                Iowa
                2016 R1200RS

Comment

Originally posted by justjoe View Post
                  Julie on the other hand, she has turned into a blanket woman and she doesn't even know what that means!
                  Hey, the world needs more blanket women... they're a unique species.

Great ride tale & pics Joe. As I've said before, I wish my wife would ride with me, I know she'd have a good time. In fact, I would venture to say, if she ever attended a Hillbilly, she would definitely become one of the fabled blanket women. Until that happens I guess I'll just have to ride my girlfriend, er, I mean ride with my girlfriend.

"Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

Comment

Originally posted by McFly View Post

Until that happens I guess I'll just have to ride my girlfriend, er, I mean ride with my girlfriend.
                    +1
                    Except I do not care to go into the drama of finding one. Amazon carry one?
                    Chattanooga, TN
                    Certified Hooligan.

Comment

Great write up Joe. Appreciated owe of us who couldn’t make it.
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by aviator View Post
                        +1
                        Except I do not care to go into the drama of finding one. Amazon carry one?
                        I hear they're making robot girls now, maybe even robot blanket women!

"Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

Comment

Originally posted by McFly View Post
                          I hear they're making robot girls now, maybe even robot blanket women!
                          If they are BMW made, may have their rear (final) drive fail while you are all leaned over.
                          Chattanooga, TN
                          Certified Hooligan.

Comment

Hey lee, you and Debbie really like that motel in Cuba Missouri don't you!

Comment

• Lee
                              Lee commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yep, the location works good for taking back roads to Kentucky or the National

Originally posted by RS530 View Post
                            Hey lee, you and Debbie really like that motel in Cuba Missouri don't you!
                            Fog, what fog. You are right. He just told her that it was too foggy to ride.
                            Chattanooga, TN
                            Certified Hooligan.

Comment

Working...
                            X