2019 MOA National Trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 MOA National Trip

Debbie and I did mostly back roads down and back to the BMW MOA National Rally in Lebanon Tennessee.
    Most days we had storms chasing us but we had dry roads for the trip.
    Had a few detours because of the Missouri and Mississippi River floods.
    South East of Cape Girardeau Missouri Hwy 3 had water right up to the road white line for long stretches and one section had about 2 inches of water flowing over the road.
    The DOT had alternating one lane traffic on this section.
    Wish I could have taken some pictures along hwy 3 to show the flooding but didn't like the idea of parking on the water covered shoulder.
    The first night we stayed at a old Route 66 motel in Cuba Mo.
    There was a group from New Zealand driving 5 Mustang GTs doing the complete route.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Wagon Wheel (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	499.3 KB ID:	6975

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wagon Wheel (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	457.5 KB ID:	6976
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Kiwi Route 66 tour (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	289.4 KB ID:	6977
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Kiwi Route 66 tour (3).jpg Views:	1 Size:	398.9 KB ID:	6978
    After a good breakfast down the street we headed south east.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Shelly's Cuba.jpg Views:	1 Size:	324.9 KB ID:	6979

Click image for larger version  Name:	KHCR 2018 (24).jpg Views:	1 Size:	357.1 KB ID:	6980
    After this point is where we had water on hwy 3 on the way south to Cairo, Il.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Across from Cape Girardeau (3).jpg Views:	1 Size:	399.6 KB ID:	6981 The only pictures I took at the rally was of friends
    I did get this picture while working registration on Thursday.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Dog.jpg Views:	1 Size:	448.8 KB ID:	6982
    Bill and Jean Jarrell from Naperville. Met them at our first MOA rally. It was the last rally where Wis. and Chicago were combined.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20190614_083128.jpg Views:	1 Size:	150.9 KB ID:	6983

Steve from Blanco Texas.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Steve.jpg Views:	1 Size:	248.7 KB ID:	6984
    Bill Morgan, Joe and Julie
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Julie Joe Bill.jpg Views:	2 Size:	336.2 KB ID:	6985
    Mani
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Mani.jpg Views:	1 Size:	172.8 KB ID:	6986

Friday morning we rode down to Tullahoma Tn. to visit the Beechcraft Museum.

Beechcraft Staggerwing
    Click image for larger version  Name:	First Beechcraft.jpg Views:	1 Size:	244.7 KB ID:	6987
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Staggerwings.jpg Views:	1 Size:	244.2 KB ID:	6988
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Travel Air Mystery Ship (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	263.6 KB ID:	6989
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Beech 18 CF-BKO (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	264.2 KB ID:	6990
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Model 18 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	273.2 KB ID:	6991
    Click image for larger version  Name:	At-11 rebuilt to C-45H Expeditor (5).jpg Views:	1 Size:	227.1 KB ID:	6992
    Click image for larger version  Name:	One of the First Bonanzas (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	437.6 KB ID:	6993
    Saturday morning we rode over near Nashville to visit Andrew Jackson's Hermitage.
    Pictures were not allowed inside.
    Most of the items in the home were original.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Hermitage Andrew Jackson (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	410.1 KB ID:	6994
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Hermitage Andrew Jackson (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	358.4 KB ID:	6995
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Hermitage Andrew Jackson (3).jpg Views:	1 Size:	426.3 KB ID:	6996
    Sunday we started back for home. It was a little over 900 miles and we broke it up into three days so we could do back roads and have time for stops.
    As it turned out storms were chasing us so we did not make a lot of stops.Sunday and Monday it poured not long after getting in.
    Tuesday it rained right after pulling into the garage.

Jefferson Davis State Historic Site.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Jefferson Davis State Historic Site.jpg Views:	1 Size:	156.4 KB ID:	6997

Picture from last year.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	KHCR 2018 (28).jpg Views:	1 Size:	311.5 KB ID:	6998

Overlook at Wickliffe Kentucky for the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers.
    On a clear day you you can see both the Mississippi and Ohio River bridges.
    Lot's of barges sitting idle due to flooding.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Wickliffe Kentucky (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.4 KB ID:	6999

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wickliffe Kentucky (4).jpg Views:	1 Size:	316.8 KB ID:	7000
    It started to rain as we unpacked the bikes at Sikeston, Mo.
    30 to 60 minutes later it got serious with rain, wind and lightning.
    Radar showed a tornado east of the Mississippi but we never heard if one was sighted by a spotter.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Sikeston Rain (1).jpg Views:	2 Size:	120.9 KB ID:	7001

Monday I was watching the storm on my GPS and decided we had time for ice-cream before arriving in Cuba Mo.
    Neat little store on hwy 21 in Caledonia Missouri.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Caledonia Mo (2).jpg Views:	2 Size:	382.8 KB ID:	7002
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Caledonia Mo (3).jpg Views:	1 Size:	356.2 KB ID:	7003
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Caledonia Mo (5).jpg Views:	2 Size:	509.9 KB ID:	7004
    Just made it to the Wagon Wheel Motel in Cuba before the lightning and hard rain.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Wagon Wheel Rain.jpg Views:	2 Size:	264.0 KB ID:	7005

Originally I had planned to take hwy 94 along the river to Hermann Mo. but it was flooded, so we went through Jefferson City instead.
    It was interesting to see the flooding in that area and saw streets flooded in downtown Jeff City.
    Going through on the way home it looked like water had gone down a couple feet.
    Last edited by Lee; 06-25-2019, 09:45 AM.
    Lee
    Iowa
    2022 R1250RS White Sport

Lee,
    as usual outstanding write up!!! I own some property about 45 miles east of Jefferson City, in a little hillbilly town called Versailles, was down there a couple weeks ago everyone told me to stay outa Jeff so I went through Columbia off I-70 to avoid Jeff altogether. I love that you always seem to find the coolest little towns.
    thanks for the pictures. I did my first MOA last year in des monies and just couldn’t do it again, was just not my thing, was way too laid back, not that I'm by any means a partier, it was just waaay to quiet and laid back for me. I have no idea how you and Debbie stayed in a tent last year? I think it got down to a cool 105 degrees at midnight!!

Comment

Great write-up Lee. Good to see you two again !!

Comment

Originally posted by RS530 View Post
        Lee,
        . I have no idea how you and Debbie stayed in a tent last year? I think it got down to a cool 105 degrees at midnight!!
        It was not pleasant.
        Easy decision to get a motel this year

Lee
        Iowa
        2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

Nice Lee. Looks like y'all had good timing dodging the rain.

Comment

I couldn't remember if there was a picture limit per post so I left out the info on the aircraft.
            Here's the information if you're interested.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	First Beechcraft (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	335.6 KB ID:	7056Click image for larger version  Name:	First Beechcraft.jpg Views:	2 Size:	244.7 KB ID:	7057

Click image for larger version  Name:	One of last 20 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	320.7 KB ID:	7058Click image for larger version  Name:	One of last 20 (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	174.8 KB ID:	7059

Click image for larger version  Name:	One of the First Bonanzas (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	263.1 KB ID:	7060Click image for larger version  Name:	One of the First Bonanzas (2).jpg Views:	2 Size:	437.6 KB ID:	7061

Click image for larger version  Name:	Beech 18 CF-BKO (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	277.1 KB ID:	7062Click image for larger version  Name:	Beech 18 CF-BKO (1).jpg Views:	2 Size:	264.2 KB ID:	7063

Click image for larger version  Name:	At-11 rebuilt to C-45H Expeditor (6).jpg Views:	1 Size:	293.4 KB ID:	7064Click image for larger version  Name:	At-11 rebuilt to C-45H Expeditor (5).jpg Views:	2 Size:	227.1 KB ID:	7065

Click image for larger version  Name:	Travel Air Mystery Ship (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	298.0 KB ID:	7066
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Travel Air Mystery Ship (2).jpg Views:	2 Size:	263.6 KB ID:	7067

Click image for larger version  Name:	Cianchette Lionhart (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	295.1 KB ID:	7068Click image for larger version  Name:	Cianchette Lionhart (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	232.6 KB ID:	7069

Click image for larger version  Name:	Starship 2000A (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	213.7 KB ID:	7070Click image for larger version  Name:	Starship 2000A (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	116.3 KB ID:	7071
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Starship 2000A (3).jpg Views:	1 Size:	183.6 KB ID:	7072

Google picture
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Google picture.jpg Views:	1 Size:	106.4 KB ID:	7073

Article about the Starship 2000
            https://airfactsjournal.com/2018/01/...ch-a-disaster/
            Last edited by Lee; 06-25-2019, 02:38 PM.
            Lee
            Iowa
            2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

Thank you so much, great sharing. b

Comment

Yes great pics/report and always enjoy seeing Aircraft too! Been up to the Oshkosh Airshow twice and it's simply over the top! Took a ~15 minute ride on a 1929 Ford Tri-Motor there too.
                '11 BMW K1300S - Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler, OEM Centerstand, Grip Puppies, OEM Rear Rack, OEM Bags, Three Vent Holes in Filler Neck, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Kickstand Foot, Ilmburger Rear Hugger, Throttle Meister, Stebel Horn, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Corbin Seat, Z-Technik Smoke Windscreen, R&G Frame Sliders

Comment

Originally posted by R111S View Post
                  Been up to the Oshkosh Airshow twice and it's simply over the top! Took a ~15 minute ride on a 1929 Ford Tri-Motor there too.
                  Long time ago we visited the museum on our way home form the New England states and had to pass on a fairly cheap ride on the Tri-Motor.
                  We were about out of money and didn't have a credit card back then.

Lee
                  Iowa
                  2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

WOW - great ride, and many excellent photos! I especially enjoyed all the Beechcraft photos. Seeing that early (the very first?) fixed gear Staggerwing was something else. The G Staggerwing was the last in the series. My first trip to Half Moon Bay Airport was the day after I'd read about a guy landing a G-model wheels up and the old fire truck didn't have enough water to put out the fire, so it ended up a pile of ashes and lumps of metal. Bummer. That was back in 1962 - I rode there on my Harley Panhead. Last July I saw a beautifully restored D-model Staggerwing at the Concrete Airport Fly-in. I actually helped push it back into position so the owner could fire it up to take off.

Seeya
                    ATB
                    Last edited by Paughco; 06-26-2019, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Cool pix....I flew the Starship. Cutting edge technology at the time...too bad Beech bought them all back and destroyed them

Comment

Working...
                      X