Rok Straps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rok Straps

Does anybody know if Rok Straps makes a version of they're straps without the elastic part?
    I really like they’re straps, easy and quick but I do not like the elastic part, I used them to strap my luggage down, I find that the luggage is constantly moving around because of the elastic part and you can’t snug them up any tighter. Therefore last trip I did not use them and went back to the straps that came with my luggage but those are more of a pain in the butt! No quick release.
    Last edited by RS530; 1 week ago.

I've only seen the elastic ones. I've use the Helen2Wheels straps for almost
    twenty years now. If you learn to make a loop back through the D-rings you
    can just give a tug and they loosen.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Helen-Twowh.../dp/B003P5HEUG

I hate seeing anyone use a bungee cord to secure their gear. They can come
    undone and get tangled in the wheel causing a crash. Ask Randy!

Comment

Mike,
      those are very similar to the Rok Straps except they dont have the quick disconnect, those are also similar to what came with my luggage, Ive been having issues with the D-ring connection loosening up, so I’m constantly re-tightening and tying the ends in a knot to help. Im looking for exactly what you have but with the quick disconnect that the Rok Strap has. Yes I agree not a big fan of bungee cords either.

Comment

Originally posted by RS530 View Post
        Does anybody know if Rok Straps makes a version of they're straps without the elastic part?
        I really like they’re straps, easy and quick but I do not like the elastic part, I used them to strap my luggage down, I find that the luggage is constantly moving around because of the elastic part and you can’t snug them up any tighter. Therefore last trip I did not use them and went back to the straps that came with my luggage but those are more of a pain in the butt! No quick release.
        I have different lengths. I make sure to use a length that's good and tight.
        I tried Helen straps for a year or so and liked the Rok straps better.
        Lee
        Iowa
        2016 R1200RS

Comment

Big Rok Strap fan... I've never had an issue using them. Once secured, they work great, have decent adjustability & are dependable, plus they have a variety of colors, lengths & sizes for intended uses.

That's not to say a strap can't fail. I've had the non-stretch side of the strap fail (tear) from wear & use over time, so it's good to check them on occasion. If one does fail, it's an easy temporary fix until you can replace it. Just tie the torn ends together with a good knot & you're back in business.
          Last edited by McFly; 1 week ago.
          "Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

Comment

Don’t get me wrong, I love the rok straps, just don’t like the elastic side of it, makes the luggage bounce around, Lee
            I have several different lengths, but they say not to stretch the elastic more than 50% , which I have to do to help it from
            Moving all over the place. I use 4 of them, two in back and two up front down to the frame.Click image for larger version  Name:	1F43FD7C-D29B-4A22-A592-774D85D254ED.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	97.9 KB ID:	14563

Comment

I know that’s a large bag, but even when I use the smaller bag, every time I hit a bump in the road the luggage moves and slides to the front and hits my back. Click image for larger version

Name:	0560D8AD-E8BF-4ECF-8F49-51A73DC90AD8.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	14565

Comment

• Pete_Tallahassee
                Pete_Tallahassee commented
                Editing a comment
                That sure is a pretty bike!

• RS530
                RS530 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I agree, I feel BMW really messed up on pulling the plug on this bike instead of evolving it more!

Thanks for stating this thread Dan. I need to get some better straps as well.

On another note, I see you have the OEM "Torture Rack" Seat...you must have an Iron backside. I couldn't find a single comfortable square inch on my first 3 hour ride and quickly got a Corbin Saddle.
              '11 BMW K1300S - Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler, OEM Centerstand, Grip Puppies, OEM Rear Rack, OEM Bags, Three Vent Holes in Filler Neck, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Kickstand Foot, Ilmburger Rear Hugger, Throttle Meister, Stebel Horn, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Corbin Seat, Z-Technik Smoke Windscreen, R&G Frame Sliders

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B97C6030-D53C-4E48-8A5A-4A28E7F6CABD.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	14571 That baby’s been replaced, I do have one for a spare but the original has been completely redone👍

Comment

• R111S
                  R111S commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh yes...way mo betta!

Name:	4F38A9F4-E6BF-4C68-A01D-194C55DD863E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	14573

Comment

ROK STRAPS ROCK! They are all I use on both machines. I have a similar BMW large bag used for the long hauls and Kriega 20’s installed for daily cargo.

They hold tight all day long, the only difference is I forgot to read the instructions and have always pulled them 90% tight.

Half my straps are over four years old with only one failure... missed snapping one together and chewed it up in the rear wheel, ate it up real good too!

Name:	2019120115361558--2236178457355906570-IMG_2029-L.jpg
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	14576
                  “Someday this wars gonna end.” Col. Kilgore, Apocalypse Now.

Comment

Agreed, if I pull the elastic 90% of its stretch limit, I’m sure it will hold better, just don’t trust it to pull the elastic that tight, if that baby were to let go, ouch, but what’s the point of the elastic then?
                    they might as well give an option to buy without the elastic part. That’s what I’m looking for. Like I said rok straps do rock, just wished they made them without the elastic part as an option. Hoping someone will chime in with something I’m looking for.
                    I have even e-mailed Rok Strap and told them my issue, they never responded!

Comment

• ZATO
                      ZATO commented
                      Editing a comment
                      How about this... I mentioned Kriega bags, they sell straps in small bundles, they have different clips so they can be fitted for different means of connecting straps and attaching to racks and frames. They don’t match up to the ROK, but work ok.

I like soft bag stuff and straps are the bane of my existence. When my ROK Straps fail, I hope a Mack truck runs over my crap and creams it all to hell. Good luck.

Originally posted by RS530 View Post
                    Mike,
                    those are very similar to the Rok Straps except they dont have the quick disconnect, those are also similar to what came with my luggage, Ive been having issues with the D-ring connection loosening up, so I’m constantly re-tightening and tying the ends in a knot to help. Im looking for exactly what you have but with the quick disconnect that the Rok Strap has. Yes I agree not a big fan of bungee cords either.
                    Never a problem loosening up.... this was after the Hamburg Rally where I bought a new Redverz tent (yellow bag).
                    Maybe a different material. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517.JPG
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	14588

Comment

• ZATO
                      ZATO commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice load!

Rok straps are super strong. You're making a mistake thinking differently. But, you can go to the dealer and get the white straps used to tie the bikes to the packing crates. Usually a buck each. These will not adjust to your load and not as good in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by ZATO View Post
                      (snip) ....only one failure... missed snapping one together
                      and chewed it up in the rear wheel, ate it up real good too!
                      That's one too many, you were really lucky, ask Randy!!
                      He was the second one that I knew that his load came loose and got
                      caught up in the rear wheel going down the the interstate. The other
                      guy survived but his face is a mess.
                      Dee from the old site also had an incident where a bungee came off
                      and caught up in the rear wheel. Fortunately she was going slow and
                      it didn't cause a crash.

Comment

• Pete_Tallahassee
                        Pete_Tallahassee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's definitely a failure but not of the strap.

• Lee
                        Lee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good point Pete

• ZATO
                        ZATO commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I can’t get out of this one. But maybe the blame really lies on the age factor or even Spring Fever. Most likely just a case of brain dead in the early hours of the day. Sometimes I wonder why I have so many straps on the Mighty K.
                    Working...
                    X