Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K1200RS iABS Brake Fluid Flush Interval

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    K1200RS iABS Brake Fluid Flush Interval

    Seem to recall that the brake flush interval recommendation for the 2002 and later K1200RS, iABS brakes, was changed from the original every year/every 2 years for calipers/entire system to 2 years/4 years.

    Can anyone confirm?

    #2
    I recently did my GS iABS What a pain in the ass. But it feels positively better.

    Comment


    • wildbears
      wildbears commented
      Editing a comment
      Does that bike also have the integrated ABS/servo assist?

      I thought the K12 s were the only ones with this curse.

    • K1DUDE
      K1DUDE commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Integrated servo assist on my 04 GS. I think they only did it for a couple of years.

    #3
    The servo assist iABS brakes - used from '02-'05 on US "Brick" motor bikes ('01 models outside of the US) - and in '06-'07 K1200 "slant" motor models, although I believe the "slant" motor bikes were equipped with a different servo motor unit.

    I can speak to the "Brick" motor bikes so equipped. I believe the recommendation was uotmiately to bleed at the calipers every year, and at the servo motor every other year along with the calipers. The cutch also uses brake fluid and should also be bled.

    For my own peace of mine I go through the process every year for the entire system and the clutch. I take all the Tupperware off so as to avoid getting brake fluid on things I don't want to ruin.

    To do the entire system and the clutch I've found it takes nearly a Liter of Dot 4 - and why, I don't know, but whenever I do it, after riding the bike for a coupe of hundred miles the rear reservoir goes low on fluid lighting the warning light - topping off the fluid with a couple of ounces takes care of it. So after I've done the brakes I make sure to carry the tools I'll need to access the rear reservoir, a few ounces of fluid and a small funnel with a piece of tubing attached to fill the reservoir.

    If anyone wants it send me a PM with your email and I can send you a PDF file with wonderfully detailed instructions for the so equipped iABS K1200RS - GT models cursed with this system. "Cursed" because if the damn unit fails a new one costs a ton, and aside from maybe one place in Germany, I am not aware of anyone rebuilding these units. FWiW, my take is that the servo assist iABS was BMW's answer to a question no one asked.
    Last edited by cjs350; 06-03-2020, 01:01 PM.

    Comment


      #4
      Thanks for the replies.

      I did find one reference on the Hornig site.

      It seems to confirm the 2 & 4 years interval.

      Originally it was 1 & 2 years.

      Comment


        #5
        Originally posted by wildbears View Post
        Thanks for the replies.

        I did find one reference on the Hornig site.

        It seems to confirm the 2 & 4 years interval.

        Originally it was 1 & 2 years.
        Here is the corrected link to the Hornig Site.

        Comment


        • wildbears
          wildbears commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks......

        • justjoe
          justjoe commented
          Editing a comment
      Working...
      X