Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake Fluid Flush K1200RS with Integral ABS (2002-4)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Fluid Flush K1200RS with Integral ABS (2002-4)

Please watch the excellent video for flushing the brake system on a 2004 K1200LT, by the BMW Motorrad Club of Northern Illinois, before attempting any of the following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwXIrc3kRU

The 2002 RS and the 2004 LT have the same ABS control units as shown in the above video. The control units were changed in 2003 for the RS and also later on for the LT.

See these videos for these later control units:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpI05pWUp-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etex4BpLSKM

Due to a rear brake line leak, I am replacing the rear wheel brake line. I'm just doing this one for now as I already have this line but no others. And I am anxious to get back out onto the road for Fall riding.

1. Rear side panels removed.

2. Coolant overflow tank bolt removed and tank swung up, over, and out of the way with the hose still attached.

3. Inner and outer chambers, rear twin reservoirs, and the front brake lever reservoir were emptied with a syringe to just above the outlets at the bottom of each and new fluid added and the reservoirs closed. The bike was turned on and the brake lever actuated several times to move the new fluid around in these circuits. This entire step was repeated several times until the contained fluid became as clear as and the same color as the new brake fluid. To aid in circulating the new fluid and "washing" the circuits, the bike can be ridden between these partial exchanges.
    Note: You might wash and thoroughly dry the areas around the caps of the rear twin reservoir to prevent any contaminants from entering these chambers as the caps are removed and replaced. I used isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to clean mine.

HACK ALERT!

THIS PROCEDURE CAN BE DONE ON AN ANNUAL BASIS FOR THE REAR TWIN RESERVOIRS, THE FRONT BRAKE RESERVOIR, AND THE FRONT CLUTCH RESERVOIR EXCEPT FOR EXCLUDING THE FOLLOWING AS THEY PERTAIN.

BMW RECOMMENDS WHEEL CIRCUIT BLEEDS EVERY TWO YEARS AND THE ABS CONTROL CIRCUIT BLEED EVERY 4 YEARS PER THE REVISED RECOMMENDATION. .(Originally 1 and 2 years respectively for the 2002 and later K1200RSs.)

4. This and the next steps describe how to replace the back brake hose without completely draining the back brake circuit. The back wheel was freed and the brake caliper bolts removed. The old brake hose was detached from the caliper and its distal end was immediately plugged with the distal stopper from the new brake hose (see pic #1). The new hose was attached to the caliper, renewing the two crush washers for the banjo bolt. The banjo bolt was torqued to spec. Note that loosening and tightening the banjo bolt is facilitated by having the caliper on the rotor and being able to change the position of the caliper on the rotor.

pic #1
    Pic #1: Old and new brake hoses; note plastic plugs on the open ends of each.

5. The caliper bolts were reattached but not completely tightened so the caliper could move side to side relative to the brake rotor. Then the caliper pistons were completely compressed using a hardwood shim (see pic #2). (HACK ALERT! This last step is more critical for the front calipers as compressing the pistons is recommended for these by the caliper manufacturer. There are BMW tools available for this purpose, but I believe a shim can accomplish the same result with less fuss.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Replacing rear brake hose (2).JPG Views:	1 Size:	151.1 KB ID:	24642
    Pic #2: Hardwood shim; loosened caliper bolts (red circles).

DO NOT COMPRESS THE BRAKES UNTIL THE CIRCUIT IS COMPLETE AND YOU ARE READY TO BLEED THE BACK BRAKE CALIPER!!!

6. New rear brake hose installed and rear wheel circuit flushed (see pic #3). Note brake fluid color and clarity in the rear twin reservoir (the twin reservoir is on the 2002 RS model only and on the 2004 LT and maybe later models). Blue line marks inboard chamber and red line marks outboard chamber.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	rear brake hose repalcement (2).JPG Views:	1 Size:	98.1 KB ID:	24667
    Pic #3: New rear brake hose and flushed twin reservoir.
    Last edited by wildbears; 09-04-2020, 06:50 AM.
Working...
X