18K service for S1000XR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18K service for S1000XR

I just picked up my XR from its 18K service at the dealership in Greensboro. The total tab was $2,089. That did include a new drive chain and sprockets, which were $500, so the service was $1500 +/-. Still not cheap. It included brake fluid change, valves, plugs, reflashing the ignition, blah blah blah. Still not cheap.

One major mitigating factor is that the services before this were cheap. Just oil and oil filter and air filter, done at 6K and 12K.

​​​​​​I love the bike, but this is hard to swallow. The dealer has a sign in the service area that says that the service labor rate is $85 per 1/2 hour. They're too chicken shit to say $170/ hour.

Okay now it's done. I'm ready to ride.
    I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

I don't get out much so not sure what Morton's labor rate is but 170 an hour seems like a lot. Also not sure why you'd need new plugs at 18k miles unless it was one of those things that they do while they've got it all torn apart. I question if a lot of things "they" want you to do at certain intervals are really necessary. I don't know of too many folks who take their cars in for the recommended service intervals but we seem to take it more as gospel if it's our bike. I know it's a ways from you but I was impressed with the service department at Frontline Eurosport in Salem, VA when I went there last year.

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea, Wes. That's actually closer to me than the Asheville dealer, so worth looking into. I might make a stop there on my way to the BRPR.
      Last edited by Rob; 05-26-2022, 01:24 PM.

• Capnrip
      Capnrip commented
      Editing a comment
      One of their salesmen (Pat) came to Friday night BRPR last year and is coming back this year. He lives in Arcadia. They gave me a great deal on a last minute tire service last year. There's an awesome hotel in downtown Roanoke if you want to bring Beth and do an overnight. I know things.

Originally posted by Capnrip View Post
    Also not sure why you'd need new plugs at 18k miles unless it was one of those things that they do while they've got it all torn apart. I question if a lot of things "they" want you to do at certain intervals are really necessary. .
    I don't know about the S bikes but the K bikes and Liquid Cooled boxers can go 25,000 to 30,000 miles between valve checks and plug changes.
    On the R1200 and R1250 BMW recommends checking the valves and changing the plugs at 12,000 miles.

I figured a chain and sprockets would be good for 25,000 miles. What's the average life of a chain on a bike like the S1000?

Lee
    Iowa
    2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      Lee, in the owner's manual it gives the test to check if the chain has worn and stretched too much. You measure the distance from the center of a pin on the chain to the center of a pin 9 links away. The first pin is #1 and the last pin is #10. That should not exceed 5,7 inches. I measured mine before I took it in. It was just longer than that, and it had stretched quite a bit in the last 300 miles. Since I have about a 4,000 mile trip coming up , I told them to change it out.

Ouch. On the S I'll do a 600 for warranty then the next service is 30k, then 70k or so, then trade. Keeps the overall costs down.

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      I checked prices at Eurosport Asheville, and their initial quote was lower ($1300), but they said if the valves need adjustment, it would go up to $1800, plus the chain and sprockets. Plus they said it would take at least two days, so waiting for it wasn't going to be an option.

$2100 Rob? Hell, I've bought complete motorcycles for that amount or less, and then driven them 10,000 more miles without doing anything but put tires on them. (Who needs brakes, anyway! LOL)

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I know. My first bike was a '71 Honda 750 that I bought in '75 for $1250. But with these BMW dealers, they don't call them stealers for nothing.

Holy crap! Based on that, I guess if I needed service work at my local BMW dealer, $135/hr seems like a bargain.
    "Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

Comment

But to add another perspective, look how much new bikes costs now. GSA can hit 27k easy, Kawasaki HP2 over 24k. Yikes!

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried that, Tim. But I only paid $9500 plus tax for the bike. So the service fee is a whopping 20%. More than that now, when it has 11K more miles on it than when I got it. Screw it. I've paid it now, without taking out a mortgage, so it's time to put 18000 more miles on it.

Fork oil change is part of 18,000 mile service. That was probably over $200.
      The forks have to be removed to dump out the oil.
      Lee
      Iowa
      2022 R1250RS White Sport

Comment

• Lee
        Lee commented
        Editing a comment
        I checked the bill for the R1200RS.
        1.7 hours for labor and $25 for the fork oil.

Rob... did they have to adjust any valves of just check. I did my service at home. Valves were all ok. At 20K I needed sprockets and chain. I check the chain by lifting it off the rear sprocket and by how many times I have to adjust chain tension.

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know about the valves, but I don't think they had to adjust them.
        My chain was toast, so that had to be done.
        I'm not bringing that bike to BRPR, but we'll look at yours.

• Riverfurm
        Riverfurm commented
        Editing a comment
        The XR is staying home. Taken the bus, K1600GTL.
    Working...
    X