Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

to balance rear tire on 2024 R1300GS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    to balance rear tire on 2024 R1300GS

    I was surprised to find out that the 2024 R1300GS spoked rear wheel is different from the 2019 R1250GS spoked rear wheel that I owned. I changed the rear tire today (spoons and zip ties) then started to balance it using the marc parnes balancer that I used on the r1250 gs. The hole in the hub is different! The 1250gs had a circular metal hole. The 1300gs has 5 flanges that stick out, but do not make a complete circle. The 2 screw adapter from parnes does not match up with the flanges. I got one screw in, but no other flange matches. i balanced the tires as best as I could.
    I emailed marc parnes and he sells a different adapter for the 1300gs. Of course, I ordered it. I doubt if i will notice any difference if the rear tire is slightly out of balance.
    I'll change the front tire tomorrow. Should be no difference there.

    #2
    I always like your fire changing posts. Thanks.

    Comment


      #3
      Marc Parnes has good stuff!

      Comment


        #4
        I received the marc parnes R1300 adapter the other day and balanced the rear wheel again. I had to add 1/2 ounce. The 1250 adapter has 2 bolts to hold it in place as compared to 5 bolts for the 1300.

        Comment


          #5
          Unless it is terribly out of balance, you won't notice the imbalance of the rear. Front is another matter...

          Comment


            #6
            Great, yet another thing I'll have to buy after swapping out to a 1300GS. On the other hand, I like to run Dunlop Trailmax Missions and they are so stiff I've never tried to do it myself. I've just got a table top stand and I could see wrestling with them all day.
            Last edited by Pittsdriverwes; 01-07-2026, 08:06 AM.

            Comment


            • 802Mike
              802Mike commented
              Editing a comment
              I paid stupid money at the BMW rally to have a new set mounted and they gouged the rims.
              I'd always done it myself on the NoMar and never made a mark on them.

            #7
            I've only changed Shinko tires on the GSs and I used the BillGSA method of spoons and zipties. Relatively easy. Good luck. Order that part now before you really need it.

            Comment


              #8
              Something I learned along the way is that if you balance your rim with no tire on it and then mount up any quality tire that the balance will not change. Modern tires are so well made that they are uniformly balanced. I have a friend in Murphy NC that runs a tire business out of his home garage and he's demonstrated this to me several times.

              Comment


              • 802Mike
                802Mike commented
                Editing a comment
                I've done that before. The TPMs really throw them off.
                I recall someone on "the old site" balancing the wheel and sticking the weights
                on the inside of the wheel because they didn't want to see them.
                That didn't last long!

              • 955i
                955i commented
                Editing a comment
                Pitts, that is interesting. I'll talk to my local old school tire guys.
            Working...
            X