Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rear end oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    rear end oil


    #2
    If it meets the specs it should be fine. I have not checked the specs of the Mobil oil.
    I buy the BMW stuff in liter bottles. The last bottle I bought was $23 and that's enough for 5 changes.

    When I first had the K1300 I used oil that Land Rover sold. Supposedly it was the same oil as the BMW stuff at half the price.
    Lee
    Iowa
    2022 R1250RS White Sport

    Comment


      #3

      Comment


        #4
        Hi Dan, I bought a 1 Qt. Bottle of Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil (P/N: LBL 06674-00 B) rated GL-5 and MT-1 from Amazon for $19.06 in September 2016...24 k miles and still using it.
        '11 BMW K1300S - Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler, OEM Centerstand, Grip Puppies, OEM Rear Rack, OEM Bags, Three Vent Holes in Filler Neck, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Kickstand Foot, Ilmburger Rear Hugger, Throttle Meister, Stebel Horn, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Corbin Seat, Z-Technik Smoke Windscreen, R&G Frame Sliders

        Comment


          #5
          Thanks guys, I'm going with the Mobil 1 that I have on my shelf.

          Comment


            #6
            Have you changed it 3 times in 16k miles - why so often?

            Comment


              #7
              It used to be the Castrol SAF XO, but now renamed to Syntrax.
              Chattanooga, TN
              Certified Hooligan.
              2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

              Comment


                #8
                I changed it at the 600 mile service, then again at the 6000 mile oil change, then again at the 12,000 mile oil change. Probably overkill, but its my bike and I like overkill, I probably have at least 600 coats of wax on it too!!

                Comment


                  #9
                  I have used mobil 1 75w-90 for about a year 10000km. No problem, as long as it is a gl5 it is godd, gl5 is the spec....

                  Comment


                    #10

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Oh ... "THAT" sort of rear end oil. For a minute there I thought it was a call-out to Blue Oyster Bar dudes.
                      2015 Black BMW K1300R @ 49,200 km / 30,500 mi
                      2006 Honda FireBlade @ 83,200 km / 51,800 mi - 3 x transcontinentals & a whole lotta hooning

                      DEAD: 2012 Acid Green BMW K1300R @ 172,600 km / 107,200 mi - Hit a kangaroo - RIP dear friend

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Fr4n you are funny.
                        Chattanooga, TN
                        Certified Hooligan.
                        2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by FR4N View Post
                          Oh ... "THAT" sort of rear end oil. For a minute there I thought it was a call-out to Blue Oyster Bar dudes.
                          Not that there is anything wrong with that!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Phew! I was worried again that you were asking again for rear end lube advice but now I'm cleared up!

                            Jim

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X