Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K1200r rear brake failure.

11/05 build date. 58Kkm.
    All scheduled bleeds done, due at 60Kkm, ~ March/21.

Problem: Brake failure flashing message. Initial loss of rear brake only. Front brake did eventually fail, over a short distance.

Removed the rear sensor, cleaned and reinstalled. The cable had been loose from one of the keepers under the shaft.

Ignition on, bike started, failure message back to the normal slow flash. The front brakes felt normal.
    Used the rear...flashing failure warning, brakes clearly not normal.

Just the cable maybe?

Cable ????

Comment

Originally posted by 802Mike View Post
      Cable ????
      Sensor wire more accurately.
      Turn the bike on, fast flashing brake failure message. Front brake feels normal, then fails pdq

Comment

When I turn the key to ON, the brake failure light flashes fast. The front brake still feels normal at the lever and I can hear the servo noise.

However, once underway all I have is the residual braking, which is similar in function to my R100RS. Ok for the R100RS but not enough for this bike.

So the current options I have are: I'm in Oz so postage adds time and cost.

1. sell it at a heavily reduced price.

2. remove the ABS module and join the hoses up, essentially bypassing the ABS. [MEDIA=youtube]LaNJjRGrQNo[/MEDIA] No speedo though. The brakes reportedly work ok like this.

3. buy a second hand unit. Hard to find and no guarantee it won't be kaput in short time either.

4. repair via Module Masters iABS (ABS III) BMW Motorcycle Rebuild Over $OZ1000 plus post both ways and there's a wait list.

5. Replace with a second life kit. RH second life KIT now available | RH Electronics This option means no abs but also no future failure of the abs either. Cost similar to the MM repair.

Are there any more options?

Comment

I have an '06 K12R. Had to replace two abs servos.
          Module Masters will not fix that ABS module. Only the non-servo.
          RH in Germany, I think will.

What I did, and I don't recommend you do it..:
          1- Replaced all the brake lines and abs module, with the next gen Conti-Tèves ABS module.
          2- Replaced all the wiring harness.
          3- Replaced all the electronics.

I'm never without brakes, but I couldn't get all the modules from the same bike, so the ABS won't work, unless I connect it to a scanner and clear the faults.
          Patrique tried to help me to code the correct i-Factory level, but we weren't successful.
          So, I always have a scanner connected and I have to reset the faults everytime.
          But if I don't, I still have non-ABS brakes.

This was a completely waste to of money, but I don't regret doing it. I'm planning to keep my K12R forever, so cost was not a problem or my time.

Sell it and get a bike older than August 2006 to have the non-servo brakes.
          And older than Jan 2008 to have the gearbox issues (mostly) sorted.
          (or you can go full psycho and do what I did).

Hope this helped.

Comment

• 802Mike
            802Mike commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow !!!!!!

Originally posted by mondrage View Post
          I have an '06 K12R. Had to replace two abs servos.
          Module Masters will not fix that ABS module. Only the non-servo.
          RH in Germany, I think will.

What I did, and I don't recommend you do it..:
          1- Replaced all the brake lines and abs module, with the next gen Conti-Tèves ABS module.
          2- Replaced all the wiring harness.
          3- Replaced all the electronics.

I'm never without brakes, but I couldn't get all the modules from the same bike, so the ABS won't work, unless I connect it to a scanner and clear the faults.
          Patrique tried to help me to code the correct i-Factory level, but we weren't successful.
          So, I always have a scanner connected and I have to reset the faults everytime.
          But if I don't, I still have non-ABS brakes.

This was a completely waste to of money, but I don't regret doing it. I'm planning to keep my K12R forever, so cost was not a problem or my time.

Sell it and get a bike older than August 2006 to have the non-servo brakes.
          And older than Jan 2008 to have the gearbox issues (mostly) sorted.
          (or you can go full psycho and do what I did).

Hope this helped.
          Thanks, sounds like you went full on looking for a viable alternative.

FYI, MM now fix them.
          I'm leaning towards option 5 unless I get a buyer under full disclosure.

5. Replace with a second life kit. RH second life KIT now available | RH Electronics This option means no abs but also no future failure of the abs either. Cost similar to the MM repair.

Comment

A comment from a user of option 5...he's happy.

I’ve used the unit from RH Electronics. Just on $1000aud landed in Australia. Yep the price is up there. However if you look at the cost of getting new brake lines made or rooting around with joiner sections plus your time, there’s $500 gone and you still have to get the brake lights and speedo working and you still have the failure indicator illuminated. If you get a second hand unit you will have to pay your friendly BMW dealer to code it for you, again pushing the price up there.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy81 View Post

Thanks, sounds like you went full on looking for a viable alternative.

FYI, MM now fix them.
              I'm leaning towards option 5 unless I get a buyer under full disclosure.

Oh wow!
              I didn't know, I did use MM to rebuild a failed Teves module that now is in my K12R.
              I have two failed servo modules from the K12R and one from the LT.
              I will rebuild the LT module, as I'm planning to hang on to my LT, and that's the only part that worries me.

If you like the K12R, just rebuild the ABS. Module Master was awesome, and I'm sure they'll do a great job.
              There's a wait-list right now though. I'm sure they're brimming with business right now, hahaha!

Comment

@mondrage A local mechanic has sent one to MM recently. I've emailed MM, but no reply.

As my bike is a 11/2005 build I think that makes it iABS1, used to 8/2006?

The other day the brakes felt normal for 17kms. The warning was still on high flash mode though.
                Last edited by boxerboy81; 01-07-2021, 02:00 AM.

Comment

I think what you have is that I had. The servo i-ABS first gen.
                  I installed, like Patrique did, a i-ABS second gen (non servo).
                  You'd be better off spending the $750 that doing what I did... having said that, I never liked the servo brake feel, and I when the first one failed, I had the greatest scare ever on a bike, when the motorcycle wouldn't stop.
                  But, MM is pretty good fixing stuff, so probably will be fixed for life.
                  I've already posted this on another forum (I-BMW.com)...... I removed my 05 Servo Assisted Brakes and installed the newer gen. I-ABS2 system. Write up is...

Comment

Yes, iABS 1.

A couple of days back the brakes felt normal for 17kms. The warning continued to flash at a fast rate though. It eventually returned to residual braking however.
                    Today, with ignition on, using the back brake, servo whine came on but didn't go off. Front lever felt like residual braking.
                    I'm still using the bike to commute but with a mindset that the brakes are residual only. Makes for cautious riding. Unsure how to interpret that? Something internal stuck, maybe an earth problem?

The wheels still spin ok so I'm presuming it's not a stuck master cylinder.

I'm hopeful it's a switch, sensor or earth issue? That'd be a bonus! Rear switch was crimped tight by a cable tie. Rear sensor seemed to be pulled tight too. Short of pulling them off and testing or replacing at cost I'm still in the dark.

Being January with people away, I'm taking it slowly, not too rushed to jump to a solution just yet.

Comment

If the servo is on constantly, that means that you have a brake switch sensor stuck closed.
                      Check the ones on the hand lever, or just disconnect them both.
                      If the whine goes away, and the ABS module completes its startup self-check, you're golden.
                      It'd be just a switch.
                      Do that, and let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by mondrage View Post
                        If the servo is on constantly, that means that you have a brake switch sensor stuck closed.
                        Check the ones on the hand lever, or just disconnect them both.
                        If the whine goes away, and the ABS module completes its startup self-check, you're golden.
                        It'd be just a switch.
                        Do that, and let us know.
                        I dismantled the rear footpeg from the frame yesterday and cleaned the area with brake cleaner/wd40. I didn't disconnect the switch though.

The brake light wasn't on when the servo was on? I'll double check that tomoz.

When you say disconnect, do you mean just unscrew it from the lever end?

edit: just out and disconnected the switch at the footpeg. The brake lights work as they should when I move the tang on the switch and the servo whine stays on.
                        I'm presuming the other end connects at the module and all the bodywork needs to come off?

The repair manual describes setting the free play of the lever to the switch. I might do that first before everything else...in the morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021011002080804-1542793351661740659-IMG_7866-L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	27989
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	2021011002091742--4718411748432701226-IMG_7864-L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	27990
                        Last edited by boxerboy81; 01-09-2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Latest reply from Module Masters..
                          We are heavily backlogged on these rebuilds, but are currently building new tooling to produce replacement parts faster. It would be spring time at the earliest before we could get to your module

Comment

it disconnects from the harness further above. but actuate it and see if the servo stops or if the light changes. Something is keeping that servo whining. The handle lever has a disconnect at the lever. But be careful, because the positioning is finicky.

Comment

Working...
                            X