GPS Files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS Files

I'd like to learn how to download tracks to my Garmin GPS.....
    Any suggestions where to learn to do this?
    Is Basecamp the one to use?

I am resisting base camp and use mapsource still. Open the track file with mapsource and easy load ont the gps from there.

Comment

Base camp is easy as well. Do you want to create a track, download a track that’s already created or convert a route to a track?

Comment

Eventually both but for now download an existing one.

Comment

I used to use Mapsource, but now I use BaseCamp. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube about how to do stuff.

Comment

Hi MIke

Both Mapsource and Basecamp have the same problem, They like to do always all that I don't like!
            But is relatively easy to prepare tracks and upload to the GPS. Just design your trip using intermediate waypoint or flags (if not it use the program choose usually different tracks or alternatives that may be you don't prefer). For example use flags ever known towns or intersections.

Then use the "device">> "send to device" to upload your route or track

Comment

I use a Mac so I use Basecamp. I hated it at first and that seems to be everyone's first impression of it. It's actually a very comprehensive bit of software if you can manage to surrender to do things they way it expects (vs what would actually make sense). I did that long ago and have used it extensively for managing track data both using and recording and editing.

It's pretty easy to load tracks into basecamp. If you're importing a GPX file, create "new list folder" and then a "new list" inside that folder. Then "import" the GPX file into the list you just created. All of those choices are under the file menu. Once the GPX file containing the tracks are imported, you can edit them in a number of different ways and transfer them to your GPS.

If you're downloading the tracks that your GPS recorded on a ride, go to the transfer menu and "transfer from device." It'll put the tracks in a list called "recently read from ..." and they you can go about renaming them and editing them as mentioned above.

Now, what sucks is that Garmin has said that they will no longer be providing support for basecamp going forward and my mac running Mojave is already bitching about how the app is not optimized for my computer. I'm not sure what/where I'm going to go if this thing stops working because I've got several years with of adventures and rides I've planned and ridden in my basecamp data. I'll have to figure that out soon I suspect.

Comment

Working...
              X