Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting Upgrade for K1300S

From my MSWord Log File:

15DEC2018 - @21,946 Miles I installed new LED High Beam bulbs, replacing the OEM H7 55W Halogen units. PrimeLED XtremeBrite LED Headlight Bulbs (H7)- 50w - 6800Lm each - 6K Cool White - 2 Yr Warranty - USD 89.99/Pair from Amazon. I have a nice healthy swath of brilliant white light covering the width of the road and much, much further down the road than with the OEM Halogen bulbs.

So in the OEM configuration, the K1300S has three 55W ~1200 Lumen each Halogen Bulbs for a total of 165 Watts and ~3600 Lumens of forward lighting. Now with these 6800 Lumens each H7 LEDs in the High Beams, the 3500 Lumen H7 HID in the Low Beam, a pair of 1200 Lumen each Aux LED floods, and the 450 Lumen LED DRL uinder the Oil Cooler, I now have 5.5 times more forward facing Lumens for just an additional 23 Watts above the OEM configuration.

Now at 25K Miles and I have no LampF Error Codes...and...I like LEDs!!!
    High Beams OFF Low Beam Only High Beams and Aux LED Lights
    Last edited by R111S; 07-05-2019, 08:18 AM.
    '11 BMW K1300S - Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler, OEM Centerstand, Grip Puppies, OEM Rear Rack, OEM Bags, Three Vent Holes in Filler Neck, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Kickstand Foot, Ilmburger Rear Hugger, Throttle Meister, Stebel Horn, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Corbin Seat, Z-Technik Smoke Windscreen, R&G Frame Sliders

The halogens of yesteryears are simply no comparision to the LEDs.
    Shame BMW went with the former on the XR.
    Chattanooga, TN
    Certified Hooligan.
    2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

Using your cue, Dan, I did the exact same lighting upgrade on my "new" K1300S... it is an incredible upgrade!! I do occasionally get a LAMPF warning... usually, after I've ridden for quite a while, 100 miles or more... oddly, as soon as I turn off the ignition, it disappears and often doesn't reappear for several rides or hundreds of miles. It doesn't occur often enough to bother me...

Comment

So Charlie I take it you put the new 50W LEDs in all 3 holes (Low Beam, and both High Beams)? I only have 2 of the 50W LEDs in the High Beams.

I have a 35W HID Bulb (from Pirates Lair) in the Low Beam and an 8W LED (the horizontal LEDs below the Oil Cooler) powered by the circuit that normally powers the little 5W Parking Lamp in the lower front of the headlight shell.

My pair of 18W Aux LED Floods are powered directly from the Battery Posts via a lighted Switch I mounted in the left Console Panel.
        Last edited by R111S; 07-08-2019, 07:27 AM.
        '11 BMW K1300S - Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler, OEM Centerstand, Grip Puppies, OEM Rear Rack, OEM Bags, Three Vent Holes in Filler Neck, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Kickstand Foot, Ilmburger Rear Hugger, Throttle Meister, Stebel Horn, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Corbin Seat, Z-Technik Smoke Windscreen, R&G Frame Sliders

Comment

So far I have only changed to LED on the low beam and the parking light that I purchased from cyclops a year ago or approximately 10,000 miles ago and yes WOW what a difference on my K1300 as well, and I’ve never had the LAMPH error yet. I don't really ride at night, thats why I did not change the high beams as well.

Comment

I used these LED high beams:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the HID low beam from Pirate's Lair. It was a very tight fit, but everything fit within the headlight nacelle.

I also added the Skene tail/brake lights:

https://www.skenelights.com/online-s...tems-c22720602

I didn't add any other additional front lighting other than LED bulbs in the front and rear turn signals. My bike is seriously lit up now!!

Comment

• R111S
              R111S commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for sharing the details Charlie...as you said, yours has the same exact Headlight configuration as mine. I can only speculate they may have narrowed the diagnostic trigger value (current below normal) on your newer K1300S? I may go for those Skene units myself someday.
              Last edited by R111S; 07-08-2019, 07:29 AM.

Thanks for the post... will have to check this setup out. 👍

No issues with the Canbus?
            Last edited by McFly; 07-08-2019, 07:39 PM.
            "Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

Comment

• Kneedragger
              Kneedragger commented
              Editing a comment
              I get an occasional LAMPF warning, Curt, but it's very seldom and goes away as soon as the key is turned off and then back on. It's a tight fit, but everything fits inside the headlight nacelle. If I had to do it over again, I would remove the windscreen first for easier access!!

Charlie, how have you covered the back side? Did you replace the plastic cap with something else? Or did you leave it open?
            I think the LAMPF error occurs when the emitter gets too hot.
            On my XR, there is no error when I start the bike and run for a few minutes, then its constant. Does not bother me anymore, but on the XR there is hardly any room behind the bulb's housing. So I had to get a bigger rubber cover for it.
            Got a pic?
            Chattanooga, TN
            Certified Hooligan.

Comment

• Kneedragger
              Kneedragger commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't have to modify anything, Mani... just removed the 3 caps & stock bulbs, and then connected and maneuvered all the new equipment into the nacelle. It's all completely hidden but required some coaxing, massaging, and scraped knuckles to fit everything inside the stock enclosure. As mentioned, it's a very tight fit, but there is no evidence of any modification until the lights are turned on and then it will light up a stadium... I am very pleased with the result!!
              Last edited by Kneedragger; 07-09-2019, 06:35 AM.

• aviator
              aviator commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Charlie.

So I looked at this post again and need to say that the 35W Low Beam HID Ballast on my K1300S is mounted outside the Headlight Housing (not stuffed in behind the round Cover). It is secured, using Ty-Straps, to the outboard side of the Computer under the left side of the Fairing. I don't know if it makes any difference but with respect to keeping the Ballast in cooling airflow that may be a factor in why I don't have any LAMPF Codes?

The High Beam LED Ballasts are stuffed into the Housing behind the round Covers but they're typically not turned on in Daytime Riding.
            Last edited by R111S; 07-20-2019, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Its the LED emitters that need more cooling than the ballasts. Thats the reason for the heatsinks and fans.
              Chattanooga, TN
              Certified Hooligan.

Comment

• R111S
                R111S commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed and yes the afore mentioned LEDs units have Fans on the Heatsink.

I have everything crammed inside the covers. I discovered that the occasional, random LAMPF code I got a few times was from a turn signal bulb that wasn't quite fully seated. Once I corrected that, I haven't gotten any fault codes, and everything is neatly concealed...
              Last edited by Kneedragger; 07-21-2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• R111S
                R111S commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad to hear You found and corrected the source of the LAMPF code Charlie. I was all bummed that You had this trouble.

Thanks for starting this thread Dan. I've been thinking about upgrading my lights so this info is just what I needed.

Comment

• R111S
                R111S commented
                Editing a comment
                You're welcome Bobby. Please let us know how it goes for You.

Originally posted by Kneedragger View Post
              I used these LED high beams:

And the HID low beam from Pirate's Lair. It was a very tight fit, but everything fit within the headlight nacelle.

I also added the Skene tail/brake lights:

https://www.skenelights.com/online-s...tems-c22720602

I didn't add any other additional front lighting other than LED bulbs in the front and rear turn signals. My bike is seriously lit up now!!

I have the Skene lights front and back. I like that they're programmable in a number of patterns. Have you guys replace your turn signal or brake light bulbs with something brighter?

Comment

Booby try the Dynamic motorrad plug and play LED turn signal bulbs.
                Chattanooga, TN
                Certified Hooligan.

Comment

Bobby, these are the ones I used, and they are freaking BRIGHT!!

Comment

Working...
                  X