Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice Needed: 50w LED Bulb in K1300/K1200S?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Needed: 50w LED Bulb in K1300/K1200S?

Hola, my brothers... Need some advice...

I've been selling these H7 LED bulbs for a couple of years now... http://pirateslair.net/LED.htm

They're rated at 35w.. 4000 lumens per bulb.. Plug-n-play. While they have the occasional LAMP dash light.. they've been virtually problem-free . That being said, in my never ending quest to find a brighter bulb for our customers I started talking with another vendor this last week . They sent me 2 samples to try.. One is a slightly brighter version of the bulbs we've been selling and another bulb which is 50w and 6000 lumens. (pictured)

I plugged it into my K1200S earlier and damn.. it's super freakin' bright.. Also plug-n-play and still fit in the oem housing behind the twist-on oem plastic cap. As it's snowing here, there's no chance of me taking it out on the road for a while, but I like what I see... The only real difference between the new bulb and the one's we've been selling is it's 50 watt and it's 4 sided as opposed to 2 sided.

My question to youz guyz...Does anyone here run 50watt LED bulbs in their bike? Any issues? Any feedback is welcome...

Hi Jerry,

Running the H7s you provided for the Mighty K1300S. The illumination is about all I think the headlamp can handle. The brightness spills out to the sides of the beams frontal reach.

I think the lens design doesn’t handle the beam focus for a better stream light reach as I need. Definitely an improvement, but anything brighter would just be a white-out for me.

During the workweek, I ride home at the Midnight hour and the H7 Bulbs are about all I can handle.

I too will be waiting to hear from the higher wattage users.
    Cut with a curse sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul, damned is your life!

Comment

• Pirate
      Pirate commented
      Editing a comment
      ZATO... You may or may not be right abut the reflector.. I was thinking the same thing, but... there's two reasons for brighter bulbs.. Obviously to see better in the dark, but the other reason is being seen.. With the 35w LED bulb in, the illumination is superior to the oem bulb.. agreed.. but this new bulb is visibly much brighter than the 35w.. Meaning.. in the daylight you'd be much more visible to oncoming traffic.. I actually have to squint to look at it...

Wish I could test ride the bulb through some of the tunnels up on the parkway.. As R111S says he has no issue with the extra wattage.. I may order a handful and put them out in the field for some real world testing before I order a quantity.

Hi Jerry, I made a post here about the 50W, 6800 Lumen, LED upgrade of the High Beams of my 2011 K1300S. So far working great and awesome light!

https://theriderspace.com/forum/tech...ade-for-k1300s
    Last edited by R111S; 12-02-2019, 05:47 PM.
    '11 BMW K1300S - Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler, OEM Centerstand, Grip Puppies, OEM Rear Rack, OEM Bags, Three Vent Holes in Filler Neck, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Kickstand Foot, Ilmburger Rear Hugger, Throttle Meister, Stebel Horn, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Corbin Seat, Z-Technik Smoke Windscreen, R&G Frame Sliders

Comment

Pirate, could you give a total for 3 bulbs incl shipping to sweden?

Comment

• beech
        beech commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought you were happy with your
        LEDSON LED headlight bulb 11G Xtreme Focus (single kit, H7)
        What happened?
        Pirate: My spec is that it fits behind the back screw in cover and not overheat. When a LED lamp is advertised as say, 55 watts, not all of that is light, many watts run the ballast. There are thin posts that have the led's on each side, others thicker and some with 4 sides with LED's. All too many choices. As you say, real world counts.
        Last edited by beech; 12-05-2019, 01:11 AM.

• Pirate
        Pirate commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks much..

• Mattias_R
        Mattias_R commented
        Editing a comment
        Always looking for new things if they are even better, so, just getting a quota for now, will see what the total is and add 30% taxes, might get to pricey.

Originally posted by Mattias_R View Post
      Pirate, could you give a total for 3 bulbs incl shipping to sweden?
      PM sent... FYI.. I'm ordering a few of the new 50w H7's in the am if that's what you are interested in...Weather here makes road testing prohibitive, but I'm hoping some of my customers can test them and report back...

Comment

12/16: Hi guys... Just received (10) of the new 50w 4 sided bulbs... If anyone wants to try them.. let me know.. I'll sell these at the same price as our 35w bulbs...I'm NOT going to list these on the website until I get some real world feedback..

Comment

Yo, Pirate. I’ll take one. I’m a frequent spender at your store. Let me know how you want my PayPal data and also when you will be shipping my latest order. I sent an email yesterday, but no reply.. tupelo55@gmail.com is thenaddress.

Comment

Pirate how much for two of these f05 my K1300HP and are they listed on your web site yet?
            John imissmitten@gmail.com

Comment

Since I retired and no longer run Washington Highway 18 at night in the winter, almost all of my riding is now Day VFR. But, now the emphasis is being seen on the interstate at 80++ mph. So, I put two of Jerry’s bulbs in, and the difference was amazing, but low beam on an H7 halogen wasn’t cutting it. So, off to Cyclops Adventure Sports for a 38 Watt LED to do low beam duty. The Cyclops light has a built in resistor, I guess, that keeps the LAMPF alarm away. If those UPS trucks pulling three trailers on I84 can’t see me now, I may resort to rocket launchers.

http://cyclopsadventuresports.com/

The install was a piece of cake. Two tips. Stuff a rag under the socket to keep the adapter from tumbling into the headlight shell, yeah, I know. And, hemostats makes it easier to latch the wire locks onto the socket. Also, all the bits and pieces of the Cyclops light fit into the shell, if you stuff them in first and then install the lamp.
              Last edited by Zoomie; 01-11-2020, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Hey Pirate or anyone else. The 55 w LED's are still not listed on Pirates site and I never got a answer from Pirate on my request to try two of these. Did they not prove out or what??

Comment

• Pirate
                  Pirate commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry, dynajohn.. Never saw your post and didn't get a notice from this site....

I haven't listed the 55w LEDs as I think I'm gonna go a different direction..Not sure yet. . I still have some of the 55w LED bulbs if interested.. let me know.. They're the same price as the 35w I have listed on my site... They are fucking impressive...If you want a pair, just order the ones off my site and then email me (or mention in the message field) that you want the 55w bulbs and that's what I'll ship you...No prob

Instead.. Just this last week I listed our new 55w CanBus LED kits from Watonlight... These are a direct competitor with the Cyclops bulbs except a little cheaper and supposedly brighter... While non-Can-Bus specific bulbs work fine on 80% of CanBus infested bikes... those other 20% are a PITA for everyone involved so I figured I'd just sell CanBus bulbs instead which should (in theory) cut down on returns... We just got our first shipment maybe 10 days ago... I'm using one of them in my low beam and (2) of the non-Canbus (cheaper) 55w bulbs in my high beam position.

http://pirateslair.net/LEDCanBus.htm

Ahoy Pirate,

You just answered my need for an updated low beam bulb. Will make an order soon. Thanks, Greg.
                Cut with a curse sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul, damned is your life!

Comment

Thanks Pirate, I am just going to order the 55w canbus option from you. My luck I would be in the 20% who have a problem and at this point in my life I don't need any more problems

Comment

Originally posted by dynajohn View Post
                    Thanks Pirate, I am just going to order the 55w canbus option from you. My luck I would be in the 20% who have a problem and at this point in my life I don't need any more problems
                    Do let me know how this works out... I'm keeping an on-going list as to what bikes see problem and which are issue free.. You have a K1300S? or K1200S?

I would suggest this.... Install either the low or high beams .. (one or the other) then start the bike and make sure you get no dash lights... If you are good... Install the others and again check.. So far the only bikes we've seen that had issues with these new CanBus bulbs are the K1600s.. Fingers crossed..

Comment

2015 K1300HP Pirate. I will post results here but it may be a week or two.

Comment

Installed the 58W LED bulbs from Pirate today. Install went smoothly, no problems with the install. The additional instructions from Pirate made it easy. I have not been out at night but rode for 2 hours today after installing them and there were no problems. I will report back when I get a chance for a night ride.

Comment

Working...
                        X