No Thinking Tuesday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Thinking Tuesday

Been MIA the past couple of weeks. My mother collapsed a couple of Sunday nights ago. She has aggressive Big C which has spread to her spine which finally paralysed her. She's now settled into an end of life hospital and receiving palliative care. So I've been on "Dad Duties", leaving work early and driving him every afternoon into the hospital to see Mum. Today is her 86th birthday, and my two sisters flew in last night from Qld and NSW to spend the remainder of this week with our parents. This gives me a couple of days break, if you can call it that, from the emotional drowning of it all. Sounds awful but needed for my own sanity.

I have the day off work today, so this morning I took off on the bike for a quick short ride before taking Dad in to see Mum this arvo. I haven't ridden for two whole weeks (OMG how do you guys who get snowed in in winter cope!!??) I thought I'd try on my old leather pants seeing as I've lost a bit of weight. And they fit!!!! That got my spirits up even before hopping on board the beast.

Relive it here: https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10006353299#

And pics to go with it.....

In the beginning, just up the road from home:

Click image for larger version  Name:	1%2020190709_182309_zpsihgctjhe.jpg Views:	1 Size:	215.7 KB ID:	7907

Quick stop-off at Serpentine Dam. Great to see the water level up due to the wet start to winter we've had.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2%2020190709_110327_zpshcfqxyxl.jpg Views:	1 Size:	167.1 KB ID:	7908

On down the scarp, along the SW Highway then back up the scarp to the Jarrahdale General Store for a quick hot chocolate and pecan pie. There I was sitting out the front admiring the brilliant glow of yellow wattle ....

Click image for larger version  Name:	3%2020190709_113210%201_zpsw7mmvlef.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.6 KB ID:	7909

.... when one of the guys in the group sitting further up came up and we got chatting bikes. Got an invitation to join them. Seems they're all retired and meet up there every Tuesday. Four of several:

Click image for larger version  Name:	4%2020190709_115210_zps8v9cmlw3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	135.9 KB ID:	7910

Gorgeous lineup ....

Click image for larger version  Name:	5%2020190709_182359_zpsmkaarcld.jpg Views:	1 Size:	134.4 KB ID:	7911

Anyway, before I knew it, it was back down the Highway and home

Click image for larger version  Name:	6%2020190709_182511_zpsidmtw9i6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.6 KB ID:	7912

Yeah, a good, albeit brief, hour out of it all.
    Last edited by FR4N; 07-09-2019, 08:19 AM.
    2012 BMW K1300R @ 172,600 km / 107,200 mi - the commuter
    2006 Honda FireBlade @ 82,900 km / 51,500 mi - 3 x transcontinentals & a whole lotta hooning

Sorry to hear about you mom mon amie ...
    Let’s hope the last moments of her life won’t be too hard on her , and on you and the rest of your family .
    Take care .
    xx

Comment

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts, Martin. She's in the right place and is getting terrific care. And she's in a very good headspace. She's led an amazing life and climbed most of the major mountains (except Everest), and has no regrets. I am very lucky to have her as my mother and inspiration.
      2006 Honda FireBlade @ 82,900 km / 51,500 mi - 3 x transcontinentals & a whole lotta hooning

Comment

I am sorry your mom, dad and yourself are going through this hardship. It sounds like she is a remarkable woman. May her remaining days be peaceful. I hope your ride brought you some solace.

Comment

I am very sorry to hear about this. Your Mom sounds like a wonderful lady. Take care, try to get some rest and know that we are here for you.
          ain't skeered

Comment

Fran, sorry to hear about your mother's fall and subsequent predicament.
            Will pray for all in the family. Glad you were able to get out for a bit.
            Chattanooga, TN
            Certified Hooligan.
            2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

My best to you and your family Fran. Sounds like your Mom is quite a woman.

Comment

Yep...sorry about your mom, Fran. Hope her remaining days are peaceful and comfortable for her and your family. A ride always is a great stress reliever. Glad you could sneak one in!👍

Comment

Thanks guys (and Susan). Your kind words mean a hell of a lot to me.

Comment

Sorry as well to hear this. You have a beautiful bike, glad you got to take some time out on it!

Comment

Best wishes...were big advocates of Stand Up For Cancer and support numerous causes. All one can ask for is innerpeace, pain free and loved ones during hospice.

Comment

Sorry to hear this Fran. Peace and love to your family.
                        When my father in law died of lung cancer in his own bed, I’d just lie next to him and take naps with him. He was a hell of a man.

Comment

Originally posted by FR4N View Post
                          .... when one of the guys in the group sitting further up came up and we got chatting bikes. Got an invitation to join them. Seems they're all retired and meet up there every Tuesday. Four of several:

Click image for larger version Name:	4%2020190709_115210_zps8v9cmlw3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	135.9 KB ID:	7910
                          Hey young lady , for someone not liking having her picture taken , me think you missed this one ...
                          Looking good by the way !

Comment

• jargon
                            jargon commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Martin, there have been famous photographers who’ve done this on purpose!

• Susan
                            Susan commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I had noticed that. Fran is a beautiful lady!!!

• FR4N
                            FR4N commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Awww Martin, Jargon, Susan ... *blush* thanks. 10kg down, with 10kg to go.

Thanks for posting up Fran. Noticed your “average” speed was a little over the state limit. Makes me wonder what the top speed was, but looks like you disabled that function on the Relive app. You must have the pro package where you can add music etc

Goes without saying that it’s sad about your mum. Spirits up.

And, nice reflective selfie 😎

Comment

• FR4N
                            FR4N commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks JB for your kind words. Re Relive: It was a long "quarter mile" - can see it on the link @ ~16sec. Backed off a bit just before a bend. I just got the standard version app. My iphone died on me and I lost everything: contacts, apps, etc etc. That's why I've disappeared from you oz guys. If you want me back, I think Mat had my number. Now with Samsung G10+. Downloaded the relive app, logged on and this was my first trip using the new app. Perhaps they've given me a freebie look at pro, because I certainly haven't purchased it .... yet.

Hi Fran,

How did you add music to the Relive? Mine just comes out silent.

I'll let Mat know about the Whatsapp thing. I thought you were still there but shaking your head at some of the rubbish that gets posted and the language. Guilty as charged. Do you want back in?

Comment

• Martin_D
                            Martin_D commented
                            Editing a comment
                            What do you mean by rubbish ??? 😂

• justjoe
                            justjoe commented
                            Editing a comment
                            When you say "back-in", is that Oz slang for sexy time?
                        Working...
                        X