Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route - time to get a little dirty!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route - time to get a little dirty!

    So Rob started a thread in regards to the MABDR and I thought doing this little trip would be awesome. For those that don't know, the website ridebdr.com has several of these routes across the US that takes the leg work out of planning a dual sport ride. They post the tracks and comments on their website and you can download what you need. There are also items that you can purchase to make your ride a bit easier as well. So when Rob posted about this route, which is pretty close to my house, I was fired up!

    The plan was to meet on Thursday night in Abingdon, VA which is close to the start of the route. Rob picked a hotel that he had stayed at previously and it was a good place to meet, just a short blast up I81 of about two hours. I worked on Thursday and met there for a decent nights sleep. First thing Friday morning, we at breakfast and started the ride.

    Eating with Crusty MF'er!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	765AF4D6-156A-452D-8EDF-B927D37BFD49_zpsledacsyj.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1048

    The route starts in Damascus, VA and winds down into the Cherokee National Forest in Tennessee before heading back north into Virginia again. As soon as we got off road, Crusty decides to get a little squirrely on the gravel and spins out. I think he was hoping to shower me with gravel but I was a bit off the side. But that was a good indicator of the roads and trails we were about to take.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	D76A7CD2-45CA-40B2-AC83-FF241D420009_zpsnlo8byln.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1049
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1DA1D01C-8F77-49BB-961B-4A129CEB917F_zps6iwjbg7f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1050


    The route is broken into segments. The first segment takes you through ridgeline gravel roads, hard pack and really picturesque valleys and pavement.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	247A85A5-1E6B-4F40-B3E5-C85F7DF72E0A_zpspaddj0wu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1051
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FA9B6C07-4FA6-4FBC-8788-B3FA86DD2A82_zpsv3sedcdr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1052

    There were some amazing properties and farms along the way. We really didn't pass many cars or other bikes on the first day.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	231EA10B-144A-4E9E-99DE-3C0D49AB8068_zpspc69l1on.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	1053

    On the first day, I had two scares. The first one happened as I was moving uphill and I got caught in a rut. It got a little hairy and the rut shot me out and across thick gravel which caused my front end to get loose. i came out of the gravel and dropped into the rut on the other side, nearest the downhill side of the road. There was nothing to keep me from going off the track and taking a tumble down hill. It would not have ended well and that gave me a pucker factor of about 5 on a scale of 1 - 10.

    Rob and I taking a break right before the doodoo stain happened.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	49DBC887-64AC-4E82-9F32-A7180C935B5C_zpsik9djuqq.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	1054
    Click image for larger version

Name:	7FDFC53A-C632-41DD-BC32-AF34E3629959_zpsssnh8fsn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1055

    Can't really tell how steep it is here.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	10D9BEDB-D089-4706-A697-4549022B2B8C_zpscn4pjcgg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	1056

    The second pucker moment on Friday happened on pavement. The roadway got pretty narrow with lots of blind corners. I passed a small suv as I was moving along pretty quickly but had no issues because I had plenty of room to manuever past. But then I came to a blind left, lo and behold a Nissan pickup was coming the other way. I didn't have the room and thankfully he stopped. I slid past, one foot hanging off the bike like I was riding dirt and a quick correction kept me from being a hood ornament. Pucker factor of 7.

    We ended the first day finishing the first two segments of the MABDR. We found a place called the Inn at Warm Springs. It is an older B&B kind of place, a little on the expensive side ($128 for two single beds) but it was nice and they had a good restaurant and bar right on site. I would definitely stay there again.

    Chickens at the Inn.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5C014226-7D7A-4C80-9C6A-7B36916825A5_zpszgaxyhag.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1057

    The second day started with a dense fog advisory. We were up early again and went into Hot Springs for breakfast then got back on the trails. While the first day had some gravel, the second day had a lot more water and slippery trails. This was a day that I really wish I had better tires, at least 50/50's. While I love the TKC70's for the street, they are lacking when it gets slickery.

    The Appalachians are wet! Proof that it is a temperate rain forest.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A6364520-D299-4ABB-8EFC-494E21CACBCF_zps9cg3o4vm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1058
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DAEB2508-A8EF-4910-B390-C9B4B33E93FA_zpsgnvft4bt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1059


    We started seeing some water crossings. Bill Morgan would have been proud! Rob about to hit our first water.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	762DF0F4-61C8-47B7-AF8A-0C61735D35EC_zpsog0fr1a9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1060
    The second largest water crossing. This one was actually a bit easier than the others.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	41E42F6C-70F8-4840-91C7-1CA5AEDFDB79_zpsphfjc1ed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1061

    The last water crossing of the day was deeper and had just been run through by about a half dozen thumpers so the water was murky. That one soaked me pretty good. A few more pictures of the roads, scenery and trails.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	9CFF7DDF-7697-4006-9A70-C9A1AF95D0A4_zpsudddx3fr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1062
    Click image for larger version

Name:	453A35FC-1D54-4CCA-9051-CDC9BC9064D7_zpsjb78xjma.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1063
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4B992DCC-4FEC-4F4F-AD2D-5152578AE404_zpswnka5wxk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1064
    If Bill was with us I'm sure we would have had to investigate further!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	736CDD9F-CD32-48A1-8934-24CDDD4B642B_zpsrgakgfot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1065
    This surface was slick and would have been better with 50/50's
    Click image for larger version

Name:	F621F221-4900-4E0A-AC0C-A755D1530114_zpsgymtssbz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1066
    Click image for larger version

Name:	E0D99865-244A-4213-8071-4DE3E5CCD364_zpszucbppb9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1067

    Our original plan was to ride north until we got to US33 then start heading back. Once we hit US33, the decision was made to grab some lunch and head back south. We went into Harrisonburg, VA for lunch. It was here that I decided to go ahead and head back home since we were so close to I-81. So I jumped onto the Interstate and blasted home. The ride was awesome, with trails that the big bikes could handle, gravel, dirt and really scenic, paved country roads. I would definitely do this again and I think it would be great to have a rally more akin to the Oz Rally, staying at a new place each day. Those who are dirt inclined can take the trails and those who would like to stick to pavement could easily do so with some of the great roads in WV and VA. Roads like US250, US220, US33, VA39, etc etc.

    Definitely going to do this again someday. Possibly with a rally around it!

    #2
    That looks like a great ride! Thanks for the invite, MF'ers.

    Comment


      #3
      You saw the water crossing and thought you could wash your bike there too? We don't judge, throw your bike down in any of the creeks!

      Comment


        #4

        Comment


          #5
          Pictures never show how steep it is! I guess the wife will clean your panties for you.
          2023 Honda CB500X

          2017 Honda CRF250 L ABS

          "Where you stand depends on where you sit"
          Rufus E Miles JR.

          Comment


            #6

            Comment


              #7
              Man that looks like a lot of fun!

              Comment


                #8
                It was a lot of fun. Kinda hairy in spots, but neither one of us wiped out, so I'm calling it a success. It was a mixture of paved and mostly two track dirt & gravel. But we were fast on the pavement and much slower on the dirt, so it's the dirt that stays with you. When we were on the Forest Service roads, It reminded me of the book about the Appalachian Trail called "The Long Green Tunnel". These roads were similar. Trees all around, hardly any big vistas, and we had to concentrate on the road 20 to 50 feet ahead of us, not on the big picture.

                I had put 50/50 tires on my bike before leaving out on Thursday. They were Motoz Tractionator GPS's. Joe had Continental TKC-70s. So I guess that means I was 50% likely to crash in the dirt, and he was 70% likely. So we both beat the odds. I'm thinking the next time I try this, I'll use full blown knobbies, like Michelin Wilds, maybe. I was still slip sliding away quite a bit with the 50/50s.

                I'm not well versed on how to post photos here, so I may have to chop this post up. We'll see how this goes.

                Here are Joe and I comparing fingers.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1272-M.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1080
                I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

                Comment


                  #9
                  And most photos along the way.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1275-M.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1082
                  I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1277-L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1084
                    I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1278-L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1086
                      I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1279-L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1088
                        I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280-L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1090
                          I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            On Saturday much of the route ran along the Cowpasture River. We stopped for a photo or two, and I asked Joe if he was interested in some local geography. I told him that in addition to the Cowpasture River, there was also the Bullpasture River, and even the Calfpasture River. He called total bullshit! So wrong! OK, Joe, here's a page from the Virginia Gazetteer. You'll see BullPasture Mountain, with Bullpasture River to the north of it, and with Cowpasture River to the south of it.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1284-M.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1092
                            I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Oh ye of little faith! And, after we split up in Harrisonburg, I crossed this bridge in Goshen, VA.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283-M.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1094
                              I’d rather think someone’s a son of a bitch than to have him think I’m a son of a bitch.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X