Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1200 Mile Weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Another great ride report Curt! Will be great to see you at BRPR.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Pete_Tallahassee View Post
      That corn bread looks delicious.
      Pete, words cant describe it. I generally avoid cornbread, but this one, I finished the whole skillet.
      Chattanooga, TN
      Certified Hooligan.
      2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Pete_Tallahassee View Post
        That corn bread looks delicious.
        The funny thing about it, is I use the cheapest mix called, "Jiffy" & it is easy to prepare and tastes the best!!

        "Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by McFly View Post
          The funny thing about it, is I use the cheapest mix called, "Jiffy" & it is easy to prepare and tastes the best!!
          I ll try that at home.
          Chattanooga, TN
          Certified Hooligan.
          2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

          Comment


            #20
            Jiffy is the only one that I've ever used. Good, quick and easy. Just like JJ!
            ain't skeered

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Susan View Post
              Just like JJ!

              Chattanooga, TN
              Certified Hooligan.
              2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

              Comment


                #22

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Susan View Post
                  Jiffy is the only one that I've ever used. Good, quick and easy. Just like JJ!

                  Comment


                    #24
                    LOL... I forgot about adding them to the farkle list. They're pretty slick too.

                    "Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by justjoe View Post
                      I do want to see a picture of the hammock setup.
                      Oddly enough I didn't get any pictures this trip of my hammock setup, but here are some pics of a couple of my hammock setups.



                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9276.JPG Views:	1 Size:	251.3 KB ID:	4374
                      Hammock w/Removable Bugnet

                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9405.JPG Views:	1 Size:	173.3 KB ID:	4375
                      Hammock w/Full Length Down Under Quilt

                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8973.JPG Views:	1 Size:	236.4 KB ID:	4371
                      Hammock w/Full Length Synthetic Under Quilt

                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1020697.JPG Views:	1 Size:	235.2 KB ID:	4372Hammock w/3/4 Length Down Under Quilt & Tarp

                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9596.JPG Views:	1 Size:	184.9 KB ID:	4373DIY Camo Tarp
                      (I won a $100 gift certificate for my DIY tarp project from a cottage vendor named Dutchware Gear)

                      In the old days when i was doing a lot of backpacking with my dad & brother, we used what was called a "pocket hammock", which was made of nylon & looked like a big fish net. But you could roll it up to the size of a softball & put it in your backpack. Back in the early 2000's, I stumbled across a hammock called Hennessy Hammocks and in terms of design, construction & material, it was light years different from the pocket hammocks we were using in the '70's. Fast forward, there are now quite a few cottage vendors who cater to hammock campers of all kinds... car campers, backpackers, backyard campers, etc., & they've really come up with some innovative ways to "hang" instead of sleeping on the ground.

                      The main components are of course, the hammock, but also a top quilt, under quilt & the suspension to get you off the ground. Back in those early days, we had our down sleeping bags to keep us warm on top but no one ever thought of an under quilt, so we would lay a ground pad under our backsides to keep warm or maybe some extra clothes, otherwise you'd freeze your ass off during the night. When you're in the hammock, your backside gets cold during the night, kinda of like when a bridge freezes on a cold winter night. And of course like sleeping bags, under quilts & top quilts are rated to varying degrees of warmth, all the way to below zero. You can see You Tube videos of guys hanging at -20 to -40 degrees just because they can.

                      Some cottage vendors make just hammocks, some just quilts & tarps, some just suspension system & accessoriess, & some sell it all.

                      Anyway, it's a fun alternative to tent camping & perfect for camping off the bike.
                      Last edited by McFly; 04-17-2019, 05:35 AM.
                      "Everybody knows you never go full retard". - Kirk Lazarus

                      Comment


                        #26
                        That's pretty cool stuff Curt. Gets you off the ground and away from creepy crawlers I guess.

                        Comment


                        • Susan
                          Susan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Them things can climb trees too

                        #27
                        Curt. do you have a picture of your full camp kit packed down to it's smallest size? The family and I are considering some overnight hiking trips this year and this would be great if the size was manageable. I know others do it so it must be doable, I just can't wrap my head around it. Maybe I should go to REI and take one of their classes. And spend a shitload of money.

                        Comment


                          #28
                          Curt's coming to BRPR. Perhaps if you plied him with beer he would share his trade secrets.

                          Comment


                            #29
                            Joe get a Redverz.
                            Chattanooga, TN
                            Certified Hooligan.
                            2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

                            Comment


                              #30
                              Originally posted by aviator View Post
                              Joe get a Redverz.
                              No. I have a tent that is fine for off the motorcycle, but not for hiking.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X