Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bluetooth Communicators - Sena, Cardo, other?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had four Sena 10 units for 5 years and recently upgraded to Sena 30 units...I have 3 of them. I use them for music, phone calls, texts, navigation and of course for communicating with my pals...all my riding buddies have them...including my dirt riding buddies. Great product....and good service...when after a few years of use the sena 10 units I had were not lasting all day anymore...I called sena about getting new batteries...I was happy to pay....they had me send the two units back and a week later they sent me two new ones....no charge!

Comment

Trevor, any issues with the 30 especially the mesh pairing in a group. I think most folks had an issue or two in this regard.
      Chattanooga, TN
      Certified Hooligan.
      2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

Originally posted by aviator View Post
        Trevor, any issues with the 30 especially the mesh pairing in a group. I think most folks had an issue or two in this regard.
        We have used the mesh but only a couple of times...not an issue,,,I really only use the regular hook up way...I do here the mesh eats up batteries.

Comment

My original 20S (i mean when they first came out) has been flawless. I have the urge to upgrade to the 30K every now and then, but when I hear of issues , think why should I?
          Chattanooga, TN
          Certified Hooligan.

Comment

My original 20S (i mean when they first came out) has been flawless. I have the urge to upgrade to the 30K every now and then, but when I hear of issues , think why should I?
            If your batteries are still lasting all day I would keep the 20...save your money for gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor View Post

If your batteries are still lasting all day I would keep the 20...save your money for gas.
              It does, and this with com use and some radio listening. A lot of folks had static, crackling and other issues, but mine have been good so far.
              Chattanooga, TN
              Certified Hooligan.

Comment

It does, and this with com use and some radio listening. A lot of folks had static, crackling and other issues, but mine have been good so far.
                Mani, from what I’ve read and watched (youTube) the static/popping was addressed in the 30k by a firmware update.

Matt
                Street: 2011 Ducati Multistrada S :: 2000 Honda VFR @ 39k :: 2002 BMW K1200RS @ 13k ... round 3
                Track: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750 :: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
                Dirt: Honda CRF450X
                IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.

Comment

Good to know, Matt. Mine never did. Some units are bad, i guess. If it persists call Sena and they will replace.
                  Chattanooga, TN
                  Certified Hooligan.

Comment

So, my Sena 30k units finally arrived the other day after being held hostage at the Fedex facility waiting for a signature. Just opened the box over lunch and had a good laugh while skimming the literature... "Warning: Do not use the product in direct sunlight for a long period of time. Doing so can damage the product and generate heat that can cause burns."

Good thing that I live in Pennsylvania I guess, so that I do not have to be overly concerned with long periods of direct sunlight... But seriously,
                    Matt
                    Street: 2011 Ducati Multistrada S :: 2000 Honda VFR @ 39k :: 2002 BMW K1200RS @ 13k ... round 3

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                      So, my Sena 30k units finally arrived the other day after being held hostage at the Fedex facility waiting for a signature. Just opened the box over lunch and had a good laugh while skimming the literature... "Warning: Do not use the product in direct sunlight for a long period of time. Doing so can damage the product and generate heat that can cause burns."

Good thing that I live in Pennsylvania I guess, so that I do not have to be overly concerned with long periods of direct sunlight... But seriously,
                      Should I go and find all of the best warning's found on products today?

Click image for larger version

Name:	pet_dryingb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	9574

Comment

So another for you experienced folk... I gave the Sena units to my son and said "figure it out and let's bench test them before installing in helmets".

While running the intercoms in BT mode, he claims that you can't also BT stream music from your phone. I'm calling BS on this, but honestly I have no idea... sure seems like BS though. Running the intercoms in "mesh" mode, the music plays/reduces when the mic hears you talking over the intercom. That behavior is what I'd expect, regardless if we are in BT intercom or mesh intercom.

I'll also say that the intercom distance is underwhelming. I know that everybody wanted to get away from the wires, but it's hard to consider this an "upgrade" when it seems to be good for about 700 feet and my old intercoms operating on FRS signal were good for a solid mile even when in the mountains.
                        Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                          So another for you experienced folk... I gave the Sena units to my son and said "figure it out and let's bench test them before installing in helmets".

While running the intercoms in BT mode, he claims that you can't also BT stream music from your phone. I'm calling BS on this, but honestly I have no idea... sure seems like BS though. Running the intercoms in "mesh" mode, the music plays/reduces when the mic hears you talking over the intercom. That behavior is what I'd expect, regardless if we are in BT intercom or mesh intercom.

I'll also say that the intercom distance is underwhelming. I know that everybody wanted to get away from the wires, but it's hard to consider this an "upgrade" when it seems to be good for about 700 feet and my old intercoms operating on FRS signal were good for a solid mile even when in the mountains.
                          Range is nothing like FRS, but the amount of real estate the FRS takes up compared to the Sena unit is much larger as well. The tech just isn't there for that kind of range. And while 700 feet might be tight, it is closer to accurate than a mile.

And yes, you can stream music from a phone and yes, the music volume reduces while talking. That's how I use my Sena.

Comment

Matt make sure all the firmware is up to date.
                            I use an SR10 for my radar detector it wasn't working properly I updated the firmware now it's working great.

Comment

Originally posted by justjoe View Post

Range is nothing like FRS, but the amount of real estate the FRS takes up compared to the Sena unit is much larger as well. The tech just isn't there for that kind of range. And while 700 feet might be tight, it is closer to accurate than a mile.

And yes, you can stream music from a phone and yes, the music volume reduces while talking. That's how I use my Sena.
                              Joe, you missed me.... read ... my ... lips ....

While I don't know, I can't imagine that they went backward with the new units to where you can't play music and BT intercom at the same time. I'm sure that he'll love me, but I'll tell him that he needs to do more researching. We could use mesh (THAT seem to be working fine/as I'd expect), but I've read that it uses more battery and if it's just the two of us we don't really need it. Also, me losing my radar to talk to those of you on older units at DGR would be a real deal breaker. I need some warnin' of the law man.
                              Matt

Comment

Originally posted by BillGsa View Post
                                Matt make sure all the firmware is up to date.
                                I use an SR10 for my radar detector it wasn't working properly I updated the firmware now it's working great.
                                Great advice Bill. I was TRYING to stay on the sidelines and let youngster handle these. What happened to the time when kids were tech savy? Somehow this old geezer is still the family tech support.

When I loaded their utility to update firrmware, it also exposed me to a console to make configuration settings. I don't know why, but Audio Multitasking was disabled by default. I've turned it on and think this will cure the issue once my son is home and we get a chance to test it out.

I'm now trying to figure out how to delete (forget) paired bluetooth devices with the unit as I'd like to do some experimenting in trying to make things work the way that I wish (Radar/GPS Priority).
                                Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X