Just can't do it right now .....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just can't do it right now .....

We've been to all of the lower 48 states and the lower half of Canada. We've been through storms that we simply shouldn't have been in, but sometimes there's just nowhere to hide so you press on. We've done 500 mile days in the pouring rain and stayed dry and happy, and we've been so soaked that jumping in a pool might have seemed dryer. There have been times when we were frozen, especially when the heat controller failed on a foggy 28º Arkansas morning. We've cooked in the Mojave at 121º, NOAA verified. It was a cool 117º in the shade though. We've outran a cold front only to discover after 500 miles of hard riding that if we stopped it was going to be back on top of us and 39º in the morning . So we came home, 1297 miles in 19 1/2 hours. We rode over 1000 miles home from Parry Sound ON to Sapphire NC stopping only for fuel for us and the bike. We've left on trips in severe thunderstorms because there were severe storms forecast for the rest of the day. We crossed Louisianan at over 100 mph because they had tornado warnings for the entire state. I called Duke Energy one afternoon to report a tree down and live wire in the backyard during a tropical depression, then hung up and we mounted the bike for a ride to Deal's Gap to meet these Refined Hooligans. We've been sleeted on, rode through a rain wrapped tornado hiding thunderstorm. No idea how close the tornado was but judging from the wind I'd say VERY close. We've ridden through hail so bad it beat the Shoei decal off my helmet and tinting off of Susan's System III BMW shield. We took a GS up a steep Georgia forest road in a heavy thunderstorm because the GPS said try it, you'll like it. Susan had an Aspen tree fall and the limbs brushed her back during a thunderstorm in Jackson, WY. In slightly over 500,000 miles for me and nearly 300,000 pillion miles for Susan we've never turned around or cancelled a trip for weather.

Today we cancelled Colorado. The reasons why are all Covid related. We will see you all again, just not right now.
    Last edited by cabnfvr; 4 weeks ago.

I regret to say that I too am cancelling the trip to Colorado. Have been wanting to hook up with you hooligans for some time now but circumstances keep torpedoing my plans. The reasons now are primarily Convid related. In fact, Karin and I are also cancelling our trip to Montana to see my daughter and to close on a property we're selling. In short, all our trips are on hold for now. I look forward to meeting up with you all sometime in the near future. Have an awesome time in Colorado and stay safe in all respects.

Comment

Tim, I understand there are always reasons for certain actions. I am curious as to your post in one regard. "It says the reasons why why are all Covid related." Did you mean they are NOT all related to Covid, or did you mean that they were just Covid related. Just curious to understand the post. It doesn't matter in the long run, but I would hope that there are no other tragedies ongoing in your life right now.

Take care. All the best to you and Pillion. (She is a "Pill," indeed!)

Comment

• aviator
        aviator commented
        Editing a comment
        Doug, thats just in your neck o the woods. There are places where its for real. I know, taken care of them in ICU.
        Do whats appropriate for you and in your zone of comfort. If stuff hits the fan, we will miss ya.
        And there is always Paris. ... (Casablanca)

• 955i
        955i commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the edit, Tim. That's good news. See you guys on the other side of all this.

• Pittsdriverwes
        Pittsdriverwes commented
        Editing a comment
        We'll always have the Watstull.... (paraphrasing Casablanca)

I understand.
      It's pretty strange traveling now.
      Our route is in low virus areas and I try to be safe but the last 2 days I keep catching myself making mistakes to keep us 100% safe from the virus.
      yesterday I started to wonder what we will do if one of us gets sick on the trip. My fear is getting stuck in a rat hole motel for 2 weeks 🙁
      Lee
      Iowa
      2016 R1200RS

Comment

• Lee
        Lee commented
        Editing a comment
        Meant to say we may get sick and the only option for a place to stay is a rat hole.

• 955i
        955i commented
        Editing a comment
        The virus wouldn't dare stay 10 minutes in the Gordon!

• 955i
        955i commented
        Editing a comment
        Lee, Mike and I are taking low contact routes, too. My biggest fear is his driving.

What has hotels gotta do with it. Pick better company. Now, Joe, and that Bill... !!!!
      Chattanooga, TN
      Certified Hooligan.
      2018 S1000XR, 2014 R1200GSAw, 2015 Husqvarna FE501S

Comment

• Loggiebone
        Loggiebone commented
        Editing a comment
        My comment was joking in that if you get sick, better to do it in a comfortable hotel. From my end of the universe, no guarantee but generally the better the hotel the better the cleanliness and therefore lower exposure.

Here is what I tell all my Patients. Remember, I am a pulmonologist and this happens to be right up my alley. If if you are in the demographic where you are at risk, AVOID gatherings, even if you know all of them. Some there may not have been taking the usual precautions. Its OK for them, as they are young and super healthy, but they might just might pass on something to you, that will nail you.
      Tim, I dont wanna "look after you" ever again, in a good way.
      Chattanooga, TN
      Certified Hooligan.

Comment

• 802Mike
        802Mike commented
        Editing a comment
        I've canceled every trip planned for this year and will not join any gatherings larger than a few
        people and even then keep my distance. I can only control who I come in contact with so I will
        not trust anyone. Look at this virus like a STD..... abstain and if you must, wear protection.

What’s the old saying...Better safe than sorry 😜

Comment

• 802Mike
        802Mike commented
        Editing a comment
        My saying is, "If I do it right I may never know."

This Convid virus is so frightening simply because people can be spreading it without knowing it. The things Tim mentioned that make our riding uncomfortable and even miserable at times are at least tangible and won't have a potential serious affect on one's health, unless it's something like a tornado. But even that you can see and anticipate. This virus is a wily organism.

Gunnison has a very low rate of infection so once you're there it should be pretty safe. And with the wide open spaces in that part of Colorado you should have great, relatively care free riding.

Comment

The part that has discouraged me from travel is staying in hotels and eating in restaurants, both with unknown exposure. And...I’m not a camper so that means I stay near the homestead.

Comment

• cabnfvr
          cabnfvr commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd been watching the Covid case rates for weeks just because I like to know stuff. We were OK to go up until literally Friday morning. The bike was packed, gear laid out, and reservations made. But most of the states we were going to ride through and stay overnight at were quickly going from bad to extremely bad. Tough call, but I made the decision to cancel the trip. We miss everyone!
          Last edited by cabnfvr; 4 weeks ago.

• Bobby
          Bobby commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree about the restaurants. And thought of eating a week of take out, if you can find it, definably put a damper on traveling. Power bars?....I don't think so.

Guys, if it gets me, please don't say either of these things: "He should have known better," or "He had his whole life ahead of him." Other than that, you can talk about me however you want.
        Last edited by 955i; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

• 802Mike
          802Mike commented
          Editing a comment
          I want to go in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming like the people in the back seat of his Caddy.

• Loggiebone
          Loggiebone commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice subject matter, y’all!😜

• Capnrip
          Capnrip commented
          Editing a comment
          You want to go out like John Entwhistle, the bass player for the Who. In a hotel room in Vegas with a lady of questionable reputation and a bunch of blow.

I hope everyone stays safe and has a great time. I really miss traveling.
        2018 BMW S1000R
        2000 BMW K1200 RS
        2017 Honda CRF250 L ABS

"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
        Rufus E Miles JR.

Comment

• 955i
          955i commented
          Editing a comment
          Pete, we'll talk about you. Wonder if they will let us take our motorcycles into our rooms? LOL!

It really is a crazy time, and Tim, I support your decision. I was considering trying to make the rally myself, but no way. I've lost my Aunt and Uncle to this damn virus, I was very close to both. No one knows how they were exposed, regardless, they now constitute part of the 135,000+ dead in this country. I've been working from home since mid-March, whenever I am indoors anywhere except my own home, I wear a mask. My mom turned 99 2 weeks ago in NY, and I would love to go see her, but I'm not prepared to get on an airplane, creating a risk to her or me. I would like to think that we are closer to the end of this disease, but I think we're still at the beginning. You all take care out there!

Comment

• Bobby
          Bobby commented
          Editing a comment
          My condolences. I too think we're near the beginning of this pandemic. No telling when a vaccine will be available for everyone. Please everyone be very careful.

• cabnfvr
          cabnfvr commented
          Editing a comment
          We were so sad to hear of your Aunt and Uncle. This stuff is mean. One person doesn't even know they have it and to another it's deadly. We were at a restaurant in town on June 28th, fortunately eating outdoors. The next week an employee tested positive and they had to shut down. Susan has been feeling unwell the last few days but test results received this morning are negative.

• Loggiebone
          Loggiebone commented
          Editing a comment
          Good news, Tim! Hope your bride feels better!

Speakin of which, we (family, wife, daughter and my Mom) are going to Clearwater FL this wed to next Monday for a vacay. Flying.
        Have been in contact with the hotel and they are fine, beach and places to eat are fine, low key right now.
        After being away so long with deployment, this is our time together.
        We aim to practice the good stuff, but there it is. We are going.
        Chattanooga, TN
        Certified Hooligan.

Comment

Originally posted by aviator View Post
          Speakin of which, we (family, wife, daughter and my Mom) are going to Clearwater FL ......beach and places to eat are fine, low key right now....
          Clearwater doesn't have it under control yet either. Be safe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Clearwater FL.JPG Views:	1 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	22838

Comment

Risk vs reward...

Comment

• justjoe
              justjoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly. Motorcycling is inherently dangerous.

• Susan
              Susan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, agree on that! BTDT!
          Working...
          X