The Bicycling Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 955i View Post
    18 mph winds from the SE today. Gusts to 25. Yuck. Maybe only a short ride today (since I can't find anywhere NW of here I want to go!).
    Had 20 to 25 mph winds on my ride yesterday.
    It's good for you
    Lee
    Iowa
    2016 R1200RS

Comment

If you don't have hills, you can train with wind. It is like a hill that doesn't end! (Although, at 20-25, Lee, your hill is steeper than mine.)
      Speaking of hills, did you see the Vuelta on the Alto de l'Angliru or the stage today, the Alto de la Covatilla? Now those are some "hills!"

Comment

[QUOTE=955i;n26384]If you don't have hills, you can train with wind. It is like a hill that doesn't end! (Although, at 20-25, Lee, your hill is steeper than mine.)

About 2/3 of the route I take near home is hilly. 25 to 35 mph winds today but still went out because it was upper 60s and sunny.
        Hate to waste the warm weather this time of year.
        Lee
        Iowa
        2016 R1200RS

Comment

• 955i
          955i commented
          Editing a comment
          Just got in. 64F here with the winds only being about 8 mph with gust higher. I sheltered in a city circuit I use sometimes at night. Not much traffic and some smooth pavement. Each lap is about 5.5 miles. I can barely average 16 mph given traffic, curves, etc. But, it's fun.

Chris Froome, growing up in Africa, used to ride while using the brakes.

This was to prepare him for climbing as the area was flat.

Comment

• 955i
          955i commented
          Editing a comment
          That was a horrible crash Froome had. I was never a fan, but I am growing to like him because of his grit and how he did not whine at his bad luck. He had a decent Vuelta and took some good turns at the front for Ineos. Hope he makes a complete comeback.

Five hour ride-along bicycling video for indoor training, Coleman Valley, CA.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Coleman Valley Ride Pic.JPG Views:	1 Size:	68.4 KB ID:	26819

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUJa3N3TOM
        Last edited by wildbears; 11-26-2020, 06:40 PM.

Comment

We rode the Jabberwocky Trail here in Ashland OR on Tuesday. Not as fast as these guys, but still a blast with it's big banked turns. Now that we're into the "rainy" season the trails are in great shape. We went 5 months with virtually no precipitation...... which made the trails loose and dusty. Trails àre nice and tacky now.
          https://youtu.be/bdXw2KO0adU

Comment

Does it make sense that staying in shape by bicycling would help keep you motorcycling longer.

What say you?

Comment

Is this a trick question?

Comment

Besides the fact that I HATE to run, bicycling provides good exercise without pounding on your joints.......and biking's fun.

Comment

I love to run but can no longer pound my right knee. Bicycling provides good exercise without pounding on your joints.......and biking's fun.
                  2018 BMW S1000R
                  2000 BMW K1200 RS
                  2017 Honda CRF250 L ABS

"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
                  Rufus E Miles JR.

Comment

I do both about equally. I am convinced absolutely that it keeps you in shape for long fast days on the motorcycle. I am not (by my definition) an exercise "nut," but this year I am going to do 350 miles of running (usually 3 miles at a time) and 3500 miles of cycling (about 45% road, 40%gravel, and ugh! 15% indoor trainer.) Being on two wheels never gets old!

Comment

Originally posted by 955i View Post
                      Being on two wheels never gets old!
                      Right on! Anything on two wheels.

Comment

• 955i
                        955i commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Funny, but when I am on the motorcycle, it seems that I am in my 20's (and imagine every semi-truck driver is older than I LOL!!). When I am on the bicycle it seems that I am still in my teens! It's my opinion that it is unseemly to try to act young, but damn, if you are just having fun, it's not really acting>

How to get the rear derailleur to handle larger sprocket cogs.

(Also see follow-up post #34.)

My vintage Trek 970 has a vintage Campy Record Groupo.

The rear derailleur uses a short cage with a suggested maximum sprocket cog size of 26 teeth.

I'm currently using a 28t for my lowest gear but want to use a 32t in cases of strong headwinds on a long ride.

I was considering a whole new group set, Ultegra or Dura-Ace, which could run up close to $2,000 including installation.

However I stumbled across the components that can increase the range of any derailleur.

One is the MIARHB Road Bike Rear Derailleur Converter Tail Hook Extender Lengthen Lug.

Got one ordered from Walmart and it should be here is several days.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	250.9 KB ID:	27161
                      Last edited by wildbears; 12-13-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• 955i
                        955i commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That might work, Wildbears. Let us know. I need some extra teeth on my smallest cog on the Merckx. It's Campy, and not friendly to "unapproved" mods.

An unsolicited opinion? The new 105 group sets are awfully good. I think I would be very happy with new 105 and save the money for a bicycle trip someplace.

Got a few hundred miles in last week while in Florida...nice to be able to ride this late in the year outside...even if it’s flat!

Comment

Good weather the last two days so got out for a little ride each day.
                        Only got out a couple times in November.
                        Highs in the low 30s for the next week so I'm probably done for 2020
                        A little over 1,900 miles for the year.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020 Nov 10 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	331.1 KB ID:	27247
                        Lee
                        Iowa
                        2016 R1200RS

Comment

Working...
                        X