Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bicycling Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Yesterday was a do nothing day at Guttenbug. We like doing that at least once a week on trips. We enjoyed watching the river traffic.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20250922_184819.jpg Views:	1 Size:	318.7 KB ID:	67055

    Last night there was a storm with 1.2 inches of rain in 30 minutes, a lot of lighting and 10 miles upriver had quarter size hail.
    A barge was approaching the lock and I could see men standing out on the front of the barge getting ready for the lock. When the sky started to light up they got back in the tow boat and the tow boat idled down at the lock. Too much steal during a lighting storm.
    I was asleep when the storm ended and the barge continued up river.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20250922_191120.jpg Views:	1 Size:	310.0 KB ID:	67056

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20250922_192610.jpg Views:	1 Size:	121.8 KB ID:	67057

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20250922_192834.jpg Views:	1 Size:	209.5 KB ID:	67058

    We're home today.
    I'll add more in the next day or two about the old button factory building we stayed at the last 2 nights.
    Buttons were made from clam shells. https://www.thelanding615.com/
    Last edited by Lee; 09-26-2025, 09:38 AM.
    Lee
    Iowa
    2022 R1250RS White Sport

    Comment


      Rough Road And Loose B Screw

      Recently rode some hard packed gravel roads, with coarse gravel, on my road bike. The jarring was sufficient to loosen the B screw such that the jockey wheel began to chatter. One fix is to clean and apply some Blue Loctite. Let it cure overnight.

      Comment


        Originally posted by wildbears View Post
        Lee, Any idea what's on the barges?
        The barges heading up river were empty. We could tell because they were riding high and most had the lids slid open.
        Soon a lot of them will be headed down river loaded with field corn and soybeans.
        Down by Arkansas they probably also carry rice.
        On the Great Lakes the barges carry iron ore.

        Correction: Iron Ore is shipped by Freighters on the Great Lakes. Barges would not work well with those big waves on the Great Lakes.
        Here's a picture I took a couple years ago of a freighter ready to be loaded.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20220917_135331.jpg Views:	1 Size:	248.5 KB ID:	67078
        When they load, the chutes are angled down to the ship. The bottom of the train car opens and drops the ore pellets into the chute. The ore cars are similar to coal cars.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0768.JPG Views:	1 Size:	158.5 KB ID:	67079
        Last edited by Lee; 09-24-2025, 06:14 PM.
        Lee
        Iowa
        2022 R1250RS White Sport

        Comment


          New helmet technology uses ball bearings to reduce risk of concussion by 4x...

          https://www.bikeradar.com/news/rls-h...VxwaSRl36LFzKA

          Comment


            Click image for larger version

Name:	553141606_1102849568717649_312426118348227691_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	67089

            Comment


              2025 UCI Road World Championships Men Elite Time Trial Highlights

              Comment


                Click image for larger version

Name:	Reeves on bike.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	67094

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Lee View Post
                  Buttons were made from clam shells. https://www.thelanding615.com/
                  It's easy to find clamshells and the button blanks along the shoreline behind the Inn.
                  Here's a couple we picked up.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	buttons.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	67103

                  Lee
                  Iowa
                  2022 R1250RS White Sport

                  Comment


                    I like this table and chairs in our motel lobby at Marquette, Mich.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Marquette (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	67105
                    Lee
                    Iowa
                    2022 R1250RS White Sport

                    Comment


                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2025-09-26 7.38.30 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	463.3 KB
ID:	67120

                      Comment


                        Adjustable Length Cranks

                        The SRM ORIGIN AERO ALUMINIUM cranks!
                        Versatility is a core idea of our modular Origin PowerMeter system. Our new AERO ALUMINIUM cranks, push this idea to a new level!
                        With 7 interchangeable crank tips, you have the option to change your crank length in 2.5 mm steps from 160 to 175 mm. All without the need to disable your bike and cranks.
                        Just swap the crank tips, on the bike!
                        With a Q-Factor of 144 mm on the road and 140 mm on the track, it is our narrowest crankset yet.
                        The shape of the crank is determined by the optimal ratio between narrow frontal and wide side area, to offer the lowest possible aerodynamic drag and best efficiency.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	554900566_18533166529058392_6328733704338718568_n.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	67124

                        Comment


                          Northern End of Alum Creek Bike Trail, eastern Columbus.

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Alum Creek Northern End, Westerville.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	67140

                          Comment


                            Click image for larger version

Name:	556743702_1109188617864140_8229110416865561774_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	67155

                            Comment


                              I've used Bontrager R3 Hard Case Lite tires on my road bike for a long time.
                              I can usually get a new tire on without tire levers.
                              The R3 Hard Case Lite I put on is tubless ready. All the R3s are tubless ready now.
                              The bead on this tire is really stiff and hard to install. I managed to pinch the first tube.

                              I have one regular R3 left and I'll be on the lookout on ebay for more.
                              Lee
                              Iowa
                              2022 R1250RS White Sport

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Lee View Post
                                The bead on this tire is really stiff and hard to install. I managed to pinch the first tube.

                                .
                                I could not find the levers I like best. I put them somewhere I could not lose them. I lose more shit that way
                                Found them today. Forgot I had them in the black container with the tube.

                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Tube and lever holder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	67168
                                Lee
                                Iowa
                                2022 R1250RS White Sport

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X